A&H

No linesmen?

Yesterday, I had a weird incident. CAR kept raising his arms anytime something happened. It got to a point that, there was a tussle on the line, he raised his arms and I gave a throw in even though it wasn't. Didn't see him do it again. >_>

The Referee Store
Apparently there will be no linesmen for a match I'm refereeing. How am I supposed to tell when a player is offside?

Is it 11v11 and why is there specifically no linesman, what’s the background to that decision.

I think its a perception issue again.

No one posts or tells fellow officials 'I had two reasonably OK CARs yesterday, they did OK'

Yet that's what happens most of the time, to most officials I bet.

Also, last week I had CAR (Parent) rule against his own side (U14s) for a tight offside (didn't give it), now there was a small amount of dissent against the decision, but would have been more if a neutral and a lot more if I had made the decision from my far from ideal position behind the ball!

I think its a perception issue again.

No one posts or tells fellow officials 'I had two reasonably OK CARs yesterday, they did OK'

Yet that's what happens most of the time, to most officials I bet.

Also, last week I had CAR (Parent) rule against his own side (U14s) for a tight offside (didn't give it), now there was a small amount of dissent against the decision, but would have been more if a neutral and a lot more if I had made the decision from my far from ideal position behind the ball!
I disagree somewhat. Every league I regularly referee in using CAR's asks me to mark them out of 10 - it's not exactly the most scientific method, but it does at least require me to reflect on the two CAR's to some extent.

So a volunteer CAR gets marked low because he’s useless :poop:, good luck in getting him to put his hand up to ’help’ you next time after he finds out! :chicken:

So a volunteer CAR gets marked low because he’s useless :poop:, good luck in getting him to put his hand up to ’help’ you next time after he finds out! :chicken:
Why would he find out?

Firstly, I'm not generally asked for the AR's name. And secondly, the purpose of it is to give an award to the team that gets the best overall mark across a season, to try and encourage positive CAR's. Obviously you can argue how effective or not that may be, but it's a positive reward for one team across a season, not a negative to target at poor AR's.

Why would he find out?

Firstly, I'm not generally asked for the AR's name. And secondly, the purpose of it is to give an award to the team that gets the best overall mark across a season, to try and encourage positive CAR's. Obviously you can argue how effective or not that may be, but it's a positive reward for one team across a season, not a negative to target at poor AR's.

Good idea, and deserved if they’re honest and try there best.

I’ll suggest that to my league.

I disagree somewhat. Every league I regularly referee in using CAR's asks me to mark them out of 10 - it's not exactly the most scientific method, but it does at least require me to reflect on the two CAR's to some extent.

What would you say your average mark was Graeme?

This came up as an idea round my way. That we should maybe start rating CAR's and maybe giving them additional powers (offsides I think), and award the best and most consistent three at the end of the season. It was theorised that it would improve CAR quality but also act as an entry pathway for prospective referees if they enjoyed doing the line as a CAR, they could go on to take the exam and so on.

I think it might be an idealist viewpoint but I thought it was an interesting idea none the less. Does your area have any CAR going on to be referees? Does the marking scheme actually help much?

This came up as an idea round my way. That we should maybe start rating CAR's and maybe giving them additional powers (offsides I think), and award the best and most consistent three at the end of the season. It was theorised that it would improve CAR quality but also act as an entry pathway for prospective referees if they enjoyed doing the line as a CAR, they could go on to take the exam and so on.

I think it might be an idealist viewpoint but I thought it was an interesting idea none the less. Does your area have any CAR going on to be referees? Does the marking scheme actually help much?
I've certainly met referees who started off enjoying their time as CAR's, but I don't know if getting good marks from referees was a factor in that, more that they were treated with respect and valued by the referees. And I do think it allows someone who wouldn't normally worry about it to get in the mindset of a referee a bit, which might then inspire them to consider a course.

What I have noticed is the prevalence of dedicated CAR's, particularly in higher divisions - every so often, I'll turn up, ask for my CAR and be told "oh, Dave always does that" or words to that effect. I can certainly see how having a trophy presented to your team for good CAR's can be seen as validating if you know you're the guy that's turned up to do it 90% of the time - and dedicated CAR's are likely to be more useful than a reluctant sub, so should be encouraged IMO.

If they aren’t told they were useless or good how in the world is that score helping??
Hang on, I'm confused. First, you hated the idea of them being told that score because it might upset them next time. Now you hate the idea of them not being told that score because it doesn't help them improve. Which is it?

Or perhaps, it's just that you don't like the idea of CAR's and are trying to drag a perfectly civil and interesting topic off into that same old boring debate again for some reason? If you want to have that discussion, I'd appreciate it if you started a seperate thread for it and stopped trying to hijack this one.

What would you say your average mark was Graeme?
I've had a couple of really good dedicated CAR's recently, so I've been giving out at least one 8 or 9 every match for the last month or so. And I'd say that's fairly standard when I'm given a guy who's only turned up in order to be CAR rather than a disappointed sub or reluctant manger - which is why I made the comment previously about how I think encouraging dedicated CAR's is a good first step.

For the reluctant sub or manager, I'd suggest 6 or 7 is fairly common, with the odd real stinker earing a 4 or 5 and the odd other one taking it really seriously and earning a higher mark. But it does at least make me consider CAR performance week-to-week, which I think leads to a better understanding from me as a ref what I do and don't appreciate from them.

Hang on, I'm confused. First, you hated the idea of them being told that score because it might upset them next time. Now you hate the idea of them not being told that score because it doesn't help them improve. Which is it?

Or perhaps, it's just that you don't like the idea of CAR's and are trying to drag a perfectly civil and interesting topic off into that same old boring debate again for some reason? If you want to have that discussion, I'd appreciate it if you started a seperate thread for it and stopped trying to hijack this one.
My thoughts on CARis is irrelevant to the pertinency of my question. Your rude answer to my respectfully asked question was pretty pathetic really, my question was to the relevancy of a blind number given to a League on a nameless individual helps what?? Please enlighten me respectfully without pontificating off your high horse!

Back