A&H

No Home Manager contact

MK93

Suppose to be refereeing tomorrow morning but I’ve had no contact from the home manager about location or confirmed kick off time. I emailed my league ref contact earlier today but he hasn’t replied to me.

Not sure what to do really, not gonna drive around hoping to find the game in the morning as there’s clearly a chance it’s been postponed without telling me.

Any advice with this kind of situation?

The Referee Store
What does the league rules say? Usually it is safer to let the person who handles the appointments know about no-contact by Thursday, so you have some wiggle room.

If you haven't heard in the morning, I'd get on the phone to the appointments officer and/or the home team. If it's an afternoon kick off its better late than never. Be sure to report them of course. If it's a morning kick-off it is probably a bit too late to get organised now.

I do one league, a morning one, who make it clear, no contact, dont go....

of course this could be different in diff areas/leagues

I do one league, a morning one, who make it clear, no contact, dont go....

of course this could be different in diff areas/leagues

We get different. If we hear nothing, we are told to show up anyway. If we turn up and there’s no game, the league will get the entire match fee and mileage from the home team for us regardless

We get different. If we hear nothing, we are told to show up anyway. If we turn up and there’s no game, the league will get the entire match fee and mileage from the home team for us regardless

Its just one league I do who have that in their set up.
Thinking being, if they dont tell you its on...they are unlikely to tell you that its off
I pull out all the stops to contact someone.

If the manager is supposed to tell you where the game is being played and you won't know this until they contact you then there isn't much you can do about it.

If you know where the game should be then I would go anyway and see if the game is on, making sure the team is reported.

Thinking being, if they dont tell you its on...they are unlikely to tell you that its off
Yeah true. I always personally been at the opinion that if they don’t tell the ref, the ref shouldn’t show. It’s good that the league will reimburse the referee for their time, but I’d personally rather not be paid and not waste a journey to an empty pitch and back. Especially at the off chance I could up a game elsewhere or just generally do something more productive with my time

All my leagues inform the referee of location and kick off time, so if the home team doesn't make contact you still know when and where to be.

I will not make any effort to contact a team if they don't try to contact me (but I will turn up to the game).

All my leagues inform the referee of location and kick off time, so if the home team doesn't make contact you still know when and where to be.

I will not make any effort to contact a team if they don't try to contact me (but I will turn up to the game).

Am opposite, I pull out every stop to get in touch with someone if needed but I wont turn up without it.
Like the guy above, am not wasting an hour round trip, wasting fuel, packing kit, getting hydrated, planning games round it etc..
Guess it depends on your mind set. No right or wrong.

Am opposite, I pull out every stop to get in touch with someone if needed but I wont turn up without it.
Like the guy above, am not wasting an hour round trip, wasting fuel, packing kit, getting hydrated, planning games round it etc..
Guess it depends on your mind set. No right or wrong.

I am lucky that most of my games are probably with 10-20 minutes drive.

It is very rare that any teams in my leagues don't confirm games, the closest I've come to that is a club that confirmed a game at 10am when it was due to kick off at 1400.

They were reported and fined by the league accordingly.

Try to be proactive. Emails get lost or go into SPAM, if you don't get confirmation then contact the league for advice. If you turn up and the game is off or is at a different venue you should still get paid, but it then gets awkward if the home team claim they phoned you, or they can show they sent an email that you didn't receive. All of that awkwardness (and remember you might referee that team again) can be avoided by spending 30 seconds to send an email or make a phone call.

Only last season I went to lengths of calling the CEO of a club whose senior team were that day taking part in the cup final, as I really really needed a word with someone from their womens team (who had not been in touch with me)
There really despite the above post, should be any excuse, club contact you, you reply, everybody is happy.

Last edited:
If I've had nothing from the home club, the day before the game I ring up the secretary or manager. You can find some contact details on Google these days; it's really that easy. I had to do it in December and the game went ahead with me there.

If we turn up and there’s no game, the league will get the entire match fee and mileage from the home team for us regardless

Oh nice...

Ours is only half fee plus mileage if we turn up to a no-show event. Happened to me this season, wasn't too impressed.

A few years ago I remember having to chase up a level 4 ref (now football league line) on a Friday night for a Saturday game. How he made it I have no idea!

You can find some contact details on Google these days; it's really that easy. I had to do it in December and the game went ahead with me there.

Surely the first port of call is the league handbook? Do they not have those in England? If it's not in the league handbook it's in the county handbook over in Wales - both online and in paper form.

Back