A&H

Nice vs Marseille

The Referee Store
Not sure there's much refereeing feedback in this, but wow...
Did Payet get a red card for launching the bottle back. I saw this on the news this morning and he appeared to be hanging around in the tunnel as the marseille players were, understandably, refusing to return to the field of play.

Did Payet get a red card for launching the bottle back

Nope, no action taken.

Not sure there's much refereeing feedback in this, but wow...

I'm a bit annoyed to see on public forums that people are blaming the referee for trying to restart the game. By all accounts, he didn't want to continue it but was told to by the match officer (or whatever they're called thesedays? League rep?)

I'm surprised it took 1 hour to decide it wasn't safe for this game to be continued, I'm aware of the commercial aspects of pro football but surely it was a seemingly obvious decision.

It takes a special kind of stupid to commit assault in a stadium these days where there seem to be as many cameras as supporters capturing absolutely everything in HD quality.

The local court is going to be busy for quite sometime!

I'm surprised it took 1 hour to decide it wasn't safe for this game to be continued, I'm aware of the commercial aspects of pro football but surely it was a seemingly obvious decision.

It takes a special kind of stupid to commit assault in a stadium these days where there seem to be as many cameras as supporters capturing absolutely everything in HD quality.

The local court is going to be busy for quite sometime!

Worse. It was decided it was safe to continue by the league but Marseille refused to return to the pitch so the initial result is that they forfeit!

Utter madness around! :mad:

Can remember Jamie Carragher being sent off during an ill tempered cup game after he was hit by a coin thrown by an Arsenal fan, the red mist decended and he threw it back at the crowd in the general direction from where it came.

Granted Nice were winning at the time, but if the league insists Marseille foreit the game as 3-0 loss for refusing to restart the game due to safety concerns, it sends out the all the wrong messages that storming the pitch and attempting to attack opposition players resulting in the game being abandoned is beneficial!

The bottle throwing clearly shouldn't be happening, but Payet throwing them back is also very stupid. As is his team mates going to confront the hooligans, yes there are stewards but they aren't going to be able to hold back hundreds of angry supporters. I think Payet can expect a lengthy suspension for his actions, and there really should be severe sanctions for Nice such as closed stadium and large fines.

The only way the referee should even possibly be reconsidering to restart the game is if the police and stewards have completely emptied the stadium and it becomes a behind closed doors game. If it is replayed it will have to be with no fans, although I think in France they only play the remaining minutes unlike in England when the entire game is replayed.

31 minutes[edit:seconds] a Marseille player wallops a ball into the crowd, too. He might need to plan a holiday. Ridiculous situation.

Last edited:
31 minutes a Marseille player wallops a ball into the crowd, too. He might need to plan a holiday. Ridiculous situation.
You mean 31 seconds into the video, rather than a separate clip from earlier in the match?

Whatever way you look at it these supporters are delighted. They got their 15 mins of fame and got to be on the pitch with pro footballers, even getting into a fist fight with them would make them feel they are somehow of the same level. They were no doubt loving it inside, whereas the OM players would have wanted out as soon as the initial rage settled.

I agree with people saying the stadium should have been emptied if La Ligue were serious about continuing the game.

Whatever way you look at it these supporters are delighted. They got their 15 mins of fame and got to be on the pitch with pro footballers, even getting into a fist fight with them would make them feel they are somehow of the same level. They were no doubt loving it inside, whereas the OM players would have wanted out as soon as the initial rage settled.

I agree with people saying the stadium should have been emptied if La Ligue were serious about continuing the game.
Would of been hard as I believe that group of ultra part owns the club so if the club owns the stadium wouldn’t they technically own that too ?

Back