A&H

"Nice to haves" for a new ref

You got the fox 40 wrist strap and flag....?
Jeeezzzzz my county fa are cheapskates....

Reactions: RLB
The Referee Store

Yea i was quite surprised when i walked in and it was sat there on the chairs!, wasn't expecting anything! can i ask how much you payed for your course? mine was £102

Mine was £110, as I had already a valid enhanced DBS.
We got the pads cards an wallet, as well as those little acme pea whistle.
That's it!

I guess I can't complain, my course was free and at the end I got a handshake and a "good luck!" With my certificate!!

What else do you expect from a Yorkshire organisation...
Same in North Riding...

They say they spend their funds on different areas - refereeing development / assessors! Yes, we all have gold plated iPADS for assessing with (or was it free notebooks, I cannot remember now)?

This Saturday we turned up at my daughter's game, a 45 minute drive from home, at which point she announced that she had forgotten her whistle.
Knowing what she's like I have always kept an old $1 whistle at the bottom of my bag. So she had to ref with a tiny whistle with a wooden pea, rather than the Fox 40.
She had to do the usual post-game deciphering of scratch mark notes she'd made, because her pen stopped working 5 minutes into the half, as happens most weeks. Hm.
she should have 2 whistles 2 watches and pencils wont let her down the way pens will

Consider yourselves lucky. All I got was a handshake.

Think yourself lucky, I didn't get that! :hmmm:

The only thing I'd add is a full tracksuit - I bought a Nike one for £35 (all black) then bought a couple of iron on black FA badges and Respect badges, stuck them on - one of each on the jacket, same on the trousers.

Looks professional, comfortable and great after a game too.

Good shout from @Charlie Jones on the towel, think I'lol steal that one though....

Just to let you know, I've just taken my BRC (and passed lol), with the course we got:
Fox 40 Classic
Wrist Lanyard
Flags ( cheap quality)
Fa cards and book

my County fa sell the full nike kit with badge for £45, which i thought was reasonable!

Hope this helps!

That is the exact same stuff that my county provides as well, along with the nike kit for £45, not sure if it comes with the badge though.

Has anybody mentioned the testicular fortitude to apply the LOTG correctly instead of trying to be everyone's mate?

I used to use english decimal coinage for the toss, but (posh) looked rather tacky so under a colleague's advice i fired off a letter to FIFA in Zurich, asking if they had some good advice/literature for an upcoming (but not young) referee. They sent me a Fair Play coin (very professional) FIFA marked yellow/red cards and a link to their website for any further information.I still get comments about the coin especially when i say it came all the way from FIFA HQ in Zurich...

They sent me a Fair Play coin
You should take great care of that Fair Play coin - it could be very valuable. They are made from the waste metal generated from when FIFA melt down their gold and silver bullion before hiding it on a train in Poland (aka the "Sepp Express").

mmmmmm, i will write to the Russian government and see what they will offer me for it...

Back