The Ref Stop

NFO vs MUN

The Ref Stop
No blame on ref missing it, impossible to see live. But it surely has to be handball?

Ball travels in from the corner and maguire then handballs in. Just has to be a pen.

The camera shot makes it look like she’s headed it onto his own arm!

But this for me is one of those that’s never going to be overturned, whatever the on field call was. Three defenders challenging for the ball, Maguire inadvertently being struck on the arm by the ball after being jostled and bumped by his team mates. Referee says penalty, it stands. Referee says no, call stands.

Disingenuous comparisons elsewhere with the Antonio and Ndidi penalties going around too - both are clear blocks with the hand or the arm. This ball is dropping and he’s making a legitimate attempt to play the ball fairly. I can understand the doubt in this situation.

Definitely goes into the category of seen them given, although could also be argued attacker no26 is pulling Martial's shirt, but either way it's another day of Maguire doing Maguire things!

His rugby tackle near half way line on 3 minutes which he got yellow carded for was atrocious "defending".

The camera shot makes it look like she’s headed it onto his own arm!

But this for me is one of those that’s never going to be overturned, whatever the on field call was. Three defenders challenging for the ball, Maguire inadvertently being struck on the arm by the ball after being jostled and bumped by his team mates. Referee says penalty, it stands. Referee says no, call stands.

Disingenuous comparisons elsewhere with the Antonio and Ndidi penalties going around too - both are clear blocks with the hand or the arm. This ball is dropping and he’s making a legitimate attempt to play the ball fairly. I can understand the doubt in this situation.
I agree. Had he been stood on his own I think penalty, but because players are bouncing around off each other it could be argued that the arm is in a natural position for the action he was making.

Really pleased this was not given (not Man U fan), he was not try to make his body bigger, a still picture is useless without knowing players were all jostling each other. Otherwise we are in to ball hits arm in penalty area, then it’s a penalty.

Dermot Gallagher called it the right decision on Ref Watch. I guess Steve Cooper may be waiting a while for his apology!

Back