A&H

Neymar v Navbahor

SammyT5

Level 7 Referee
I don’t in any way keep up with Saudi or Asian CL football but came across this on Twitter and wondered what you all thought about it. Apparently Neymar received a yellow card here. As far as I can work out the ball was in play when this happened?

I can see three possible outcomes:
- a caution for kicking the ball away (delaying restart) with a free kick for the push.
- a first caution for a reckless push and a second caution for delaying the restart of play.
- a sending off for violent conduct for kicking the ball AT the opponent.

The Referee Store
think you can easily sell a red for VC here

Whether the second option (and maybe first) comes into play depends on which team has the free kick. If it’s Neymars team, not sure you could say he delayed the restart

think you can easily sell a red for VC here

Whether the second option (and maybe first) comes into play depends on which team has the free kick. If it’s Neymars team, not sure you could say he delayed the restart
Agreed. This would be good with a slightly extended video but I couldn’t find one anywhere.

Just managed to find this video. The incident starts just after 6:45 I think. By the looks of it was a free kick to Navbahor, given away by Neymar.

Biggest learning from this clip (for me) is the importance of correct signalling. It's a situation which could (conceivably) have been given as a free kick to either team. And rather than making clear the direction of the kick, the referee simply points at the spot of the foul at 6:52. This gives Neymar the licence he needs to push away his opponent and 'take the free kick' and probably means that a single YC is an acceptable outcome.

Finding a booking for him at 6:15 might have saved the later stuff. No one is Nostradamus though

Biggest learning from this clip (for me) is the importance of correct signalling. It's a situation which could (conceivably) have been given as a free kick to either team. And rather than making clear the direction of the kick, the referee simply points at the spot of the foul at 6:52. This gives Neymar the licence he needs to push away his opponent and 'take the free kick' and probably means that a single YC is an acceptable outcome.
Agree with the signaling comment. But I don't see how it would relate to double yellow.

Even if it was clear that it's not his free kick, kicking the ball at the opponent and DR are two offences at the same time and can't attract two yellows. You either punish the DR or the USB but not both.

You can pull out a second yellow for the push or make it a straight red though. I won't, but I can buy it.

Back