A&H

Next course

Adrock

My son has completed his first ref course and been singed off by completing 5 games.

He has now done 30/40 games and wanting to know what is the next step to achieve a further qualification.

Does anyone has any info on the 2nd qualification you would start?

The Referee Store
How old is he?

If he's a youth referee, progression generally comes by working your way up the age levels rather than formal promotions.

If he's working in open age, he will want to get on the promotion scheme - to move from his current Level 7 status up to level 6 and so on.

This is run through your local county FA (assuming you're in England) and so he will need to make contact with the county RDO for details.

Great. Thanks he is 17 so reffing games u16 and down. So in terms of qualifications he now waits until he is 18?

Great. Thanks he is 17 so reffing games u16 and down. So in terms of qualifications he now waits until he is 18?
He can apply via the County FA to move from Level 7 (his current level) to Level 6, but will need to be refereeing in open age for at least some of the qualifying games. The CFA website should have the referee pathway spelled out, but if not it is on The FA's site.

My son has completed his first ref course and been singed off by completing 5 games.

He has now done 30/40 games and wanting to know what is the next step to achieve a further qualification.

Does anyone has any info on the 2nd qualification you would start?
There are no more qualifications for him to pass. Improvement comes from experience and observations, and the new system is for the promotion 7 - 6 - 5 is fairly automatic after a number of games and observation reports.

To improve, he should and get on the CORE program for the 23/24 season. I see you are in the West Riding so give Mark (the Referee Development Officer) a ring to discuss how this would help him. CORE has a number of training sessions a season where they will deal with various aspects of the games and he will meet fellow referees in development and get lectures from more experience / senior referee.

Only when he want to go from 5-4 (to refereeing in Northern Counties) will further tests / a fitness test will arise.

Simply doing games and learning, is the best route.

There are no more qualifications for him to pass. Improvement comes from experience and observations, and the new system is for the promotion 7 - 6 - 5 is fairly automatic after a number of games and observation reports.

To improve, he should and get on the CORE program for the 23/24 season. I see you are in the West Riding so give Mark (the Referee Development Officer) a ring to discuss how this would help him. CORE has a number of training sessions a season where they will deal with various aspects of the games and he will meet fellow referees in development and get lectures from more experience / senior referee.

Only when he want to go from 5-4 (to refereeing in Northern Counties) will further tests / a fitness test will arise.

Simply doing games and learning, is the best route.
Do you still need to be invited onto the FA CORE programme? I’ve just emailed my RDO about it as I’m interested in the programme.

Back