A&H

Newcastle vs Everton

The Referee Store
Having watched it initially I want to say yellow, it is reckless however his studs are down and I don't believe the challenge to be endangering the Everton player, or excessive in force enough to warrant a red. Possible could call this an Amber but I would be going with yellow.

Thats about as clear an example of SFP as you can get.
Lunges, from the side, the stereotypical scissors movement
At speed. With excessive force. Endangering.
never watched the game but am sure the bbc live text said this was in relaliation to something also
Its a horrendous tackle, exactly the type we must eradicate

Even the slightest pre match prep on who your players on the pitch will be tonight gives you everything you need to know about this gentlemans capabilities when it comes to this tackle. Given the chance to know your players, take it!

Lunge, endangers safety, excessive force. Its not in the lotg but that scissors action is red, it can only be red, its a challenge intended to cause pain

Attachments

• 40B3355C-7D0E-4AD9-89BF-1625E3FBC4E0.png
    40B3355C-7D0E-4AD9-89BF-1625E3FBC4E0.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 203F4F14-3C74-48BD-918B-1422F61A5ABC.png
    203F4F14-3C74-48BD-918B-1422F61A5ABC.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Having watched it initially I want to say yellow, it is reckless however his studs are down and I don't believe the challenge to be endangering the Everton player, or excessive in force enough to warrant a red. Possible could call this an Amber but I would be going with yellow.
His studs are down?

Attachments

• 8F4A9E97-50D6-4529-AD19-E20BC4A5AFE6.png
    8F4A9E97-50D6-4529-AD19-E20BC4A5AFE6.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
It used to be a red before the mid 2010s then for some reason the powers that be decided at the highest levels tackles like this stopped endangering the safety of an opponent.

It used to be a red before the mid 2010s then for some reason the powers that be decided at the highest levels tackles like this stopped endangering the safety of an opponent.

I confess I must have been at a toilet break when that directive was introduced.

His studs are down?
I only comment on these videos after watching them once at full speed, and give my initial thoughts as that's what the referee have to do after only seeing the incident once. I admit it does look worse when you re-watch it several times, slow it down and freeze it at certain points. I stand by my initial observation however understand I may be wrong and there will be differing takes, I am very new to this so accept I may be wrong :D I am guessing VAR would have looked at this and deemed that isn't was not a clear and obvious SFP as to my knowledge he was not sent off?

As referees, we are taught to take snap shots in our head
Lots of them.
snap, snap, snap. Lots of instant images in our head,
if we do that, we see the speed, intensity, lunge, points of contact etc.

serious foul play in the book is a lunge, which endangers safety and/or involves excessive force. Am stunned there is not a 100% agreement this tackle is all that.

even the laymans terms guideance handed down thro the ranks, the scissors motion.

this tackle is the second worst I have seen this year.

var is not going to tell uefa elite cat 1 referee he got a call wrong.

His studs are down?
As is often the case, a still doesn't tell the true story as that leading leg missed and is was his trailing leg that took Gordon out. That is what has saved him here.

Gordon's action was also a bit strange, right at the end he moved his right leg away from the ball and towards Shelvey. He was obviously trying to draw a foul as he was going nowhere, but in doing so put himself at further risk.

As is often the case, a still doesn't tell the true story as that leading leg missed and is was his trailing leg that took Gordon out. That is what has saved him here.

Gordon's action was also a bit strange, right at the end he moved his right leg away from the ball and towards Shelvey. He was obviously trying to draw a foul as he was going nowhere, but in doing so put himself at further risk.

am aware this is the leading leg, I diocumented it as in itself, its the warning sign, the alarm bell, that the red card is coming
The still is horrible, and yes, thats the image of what came first.
Part two of the tackle, is the actual contact

part one of the lunge is enough on its own merits, lunge, endangering, excessive.

am aware this is the leading leg, I diocumented it as in itself, its the warning sign, the alarm bell, that the red card is coming

part one of the lunge is enough on its own merits, lunge, endangering, excessive.
Like it or not though, the expectation at senior levels is if the lunging leg misses it is usually yellow. I don't think any SG1 referee would go red there.

I know you've probably got me on ignore, but I pointed out your incorrect understanding of the "lunge" clause in the Cardiff/Liverpool thread and you're applying the same misunderstanding here. A lunge still needs to take place with excessive force or endangering of the opponent - so pointing out repeatedly that there is a lunge doesn't actually reinforce your argument at all.

The scissor action is actually not as bad as it initially looks - you'll note that his left shin hits the back of the Everton players left leg, which actually stops him closing his legs around a single opponent's leg too early. The right leg knocks away the standing leg then the other leg closes in, which means you don't get the "scissor around a planted leg" that often results in broken legs. It's not a smart tackle and a red definitely wouldn't get overturned, but I don't think a yellow is horrifyingly wrong here either.

@Anubis is cracking up already and The Mags have only won a few games...
His pain over the coming seasons will far exceed my glee, although I get the feeling watching him slip into a black & white abyss might be fun hahahahaha

Last edited:
What happened to the two threads started about this game, during play?
Both mentioned a dropped ball given, which myself and the other author both said we thought was wrong?

What happened to the two threads started about this game, during play?
Both mentioned a dropped ball given, which myself and the other author both said we thought was wrong?
I closed one of them as they both covered the same game. Didn't think there were three threads though (i.e this one and two others)?

Like it or not though, the expectation at senior levels is if the lunging leg misses it is usually yellow. I don't think any SG1 referee would go red there.

thats the first leg
The second is the one doing the damage

@Anubis is cracking up already and The Mags have only won a few games...
His pain over the coming seasons will far exceed my glee, although I get the feeling watching him slip into a black & white abyss might be fun hahahahaha

more chance Roy Castle winning a cup than them...

Back