A&H

Newcastle v utd

The Referee Store
The players trust Mariner, nobody gets in his face, even when he cautioned (harshly) for handball, there was no crowding or verbals
Lots of good proactive body language, even early on for a half hearted pen appeal, first time he was near dug out some coach must have asked the question and Mariner acknowledged it with a smile and a "come on there was nothing in it"
One excellent advantage to Man Utd midway through first half, well signalled, one ok advantage to Newcastle just before that,
Yes missed one late on, who knows if he would have went red or yellow had he seen it, but to miss one dubious foul over 90 mins is not a bad effort
Totally calm, never flustered, you dont need to swarm around like a wasp on eccies if you can read the game and get into reasonable positions
Everybody is allowed their own view of course but he strolled that, made it look effortless rather than a chore, looked like he was enjoying it too and missing one tackle late on (that would have been hard to see real time) does not mean you have had a poor game

Some of you lot would have curled up behind the couch if football would have been so available to watch in the 70s & 80s. Some of the tackles then would have made this look like a testimonial game. Yes, there were fouls in that game, modern fouls, retribution fouls, probably cardable yellow or red fouls.. Good to see a ref let a bit go and not be on a one man mission to cleanse the game of anything remotely naughty. 9/10

Some of you lot would have curled up behind the couch if football would have been so available to watch in the 70s & 80s. Some of the tackles then would have made this look like a testimonial game. Yes, there were fouls in that game, modern fouls, retribution fouls, probably cardable yellow or red fouls.. Good to see a ref let a bit go and not be on a one man mission to cleanse the game of anything remotely naughty. 9/10

Three of the online paper match reports I have read today dont even mention the referee at all.
To ref the live tv game and have nobody talking about you, result.

Failed on KMI though ;-)

The issue I have with your sentiments that 'nobody is talking about him so he must be good' is that it promotes the spineless refereeing culture that is wrecking the game and simply encourages diving and all sorts of toxic carrying on by the players. Additionally, it promotes the idea that the referee is at fault if there is controversy.

More specifically, if he gave the correct red card, people would certainly be talking about the ref.

Last edited:
Failed on KMI thought ;-)

The issue I have with your sentiments that 'nobody is talking about him so he must be good' is that it promotes the spineless refereeing culture that is wrecking the game.

More specifically, if he gave the correct red card, people would certainly be talking about the ref.

You just have issues with anything I post full stop. And am equally as bad for rising to the bait
I never said just because nobody is talking about him means he was good. My point is and was, in the game as a whole, the referee had no bearing on anything, like the old phrase that a good referee is not noticed,
If we could all get through our games at the weekend having missed one amber card then we will all be doing well.
Understandable and excusable how he missed it, its not as if he saw it and dealt with it inappropriately. That would be a different story.
My point about him not being mentioned in the reports I read was purely to showcase that its job done and up the road.
Compare it to the match reports and tv coverage of the Bmouth Watford game where the referee is certainly getting plenty mentions...and not in a positive manner.

I know which ref I would rather be last night and I can guess which one wakes up this morning satisfied with his nights work

Getting a little sensitive there. I disagree with you because I disagree with you. I don't care who's writing it. Not sure why you're playing some sort of victim there.

The referee DID have bearing on the match though. He's made a significant, match-changing error.

Just so happens that if he made the right decision, people might be talking about it more.

But plenty of people are talking about it on social media. Sometimes the pundits ignore major errors, we see that in our league here. And sometimes they verbally draw and quarter the ref when they've done wrong.

As to whether it's excusable that he missed it - I'd have to see his position for that. It's quite a blatant foul, I'm having a hard time justifying missing this one unless his view was blocked - though in that case I'd love to know how the AR missed it as well.

I fancy Marriner was directly behind the Shelvey hack
If he'd seen it from an angle, he might have gone red. I say 'might' on the basis that real-time was not as bad as slow-motion/freeze frames, which we should know are of little worth. Pogba had some whitewash scuffed on his hamstring, but was otherwise uninjured
That said, Shelvey takes chances and that's why Benitez prefers Ki
The pass by Shelvey to Perez midway through the second half was world class. His forward passing of the ball can be sensational, but he has problems with discipline; both with his behaviour and with his game. The good news for NUFC is that i doubt the FA will look at this, because Marriner gave a free-kick (stupid arbitrary retrospective rules)
Lascelles needs to watch his shoulder charging. He came close to doing what he did in the Wolves game, which was a DOGSO offence in that game (missed by Mike Dean)

Getting a little sensitive there. I disagree with you because I disagree with you. I don't care who's writing it. Not sure why you're playing some sort of victim there.

The referee DID have bearing on the match though. He's made a significant, match-changing error.

Just so happens that if he made the right decision, people might be talking about it more.

But plenty of people are talking about it on social media. Sometimes the pundits ignore major errors, we see that in our league here. And sometimes they verbally draw and quarter the ref when they've done wrong.

As to whether it's excusable that he missed it - I'd have to see his position for that. It's quite a blatant foul, I'm having a hard time justifying missing this one unless his view was blocked - though in that case I'd love to know how the AR missed it as well.

Its getting spoke about because Shelvey and Man Utd have history, had it been anybody else it would not raise an eyebrow.

Yes, we get it. Footballs changed but do we have to go down this route every time there’s a conversation about a red card?

Yes, we get it. Footballs changed but do we have to go down this route every time there’s a conversation about a red card?
We retain some nostalgia however. If I mention how the game used to be, that's because I preferred elite football 30 years ago. Cheating in the form of hacking and intimidation was better than the embarrassing modern day equivalent. Given the choice of two televised games, I always go for the lower division game, because that's closer to the football I prefer and I'm not left watching the pathetic behaviour of the PL mega-egos

We retain some nostalgia however. If I mention how the game used to be, that's because I preferred elite football 30 years ago. Cheating in the form of hacking and intimidation was better than the embarrassing modern day equivalent. Given the choice of two televised games, I always go for the lower division game, because that's closer to the football I prefer and I'm not left watching the pathetic behaviour of the PL mega-egos

I too preferred the game of yesteryear but mostly because it was played by British footballers.

I too preferred the game of yesteryear but mostly because it was played by British footballers.
It's frustrating because the things that spoil the modern game would be an easy fix. There's just no interest in hitting dissent and cheating hard. I'm sure the ridiculous antics are seen as part of the entertainment package and viewing figures are the only thing that counts. Imagine if today's football stars acted like men instead of children. It would be quite something
Instead, I have to watch players with lesser ability to find what I prefer

It's frustrating because the things that spoil the modern game would be an easy fix. There's just no interest in hitting dissent and cheating hard. I'm sure the ridiculous antics are seen as part of the entertainment package and viewing figures are the only thing that counts. Imagine if today's football stars acted like men instead of children. It would be quite something
Instead, I have to watch players with lesser ability to find what I prefer

Was say diving always there though and its only now in the days of 60 camera angles and instant replays and social media giving players reputations and so on?
I do recall from the 80 and 90s here, each team did have someone who, well, sometimes went to ground a bit easy?
Along lines of, the more water you give your plants, the more they grow....
whereas someone at, say, Unibond league knows nobody is going to pay attention to his dive...

Was say diving always there though and its only now in the days of 60 camera angles and instant replays and social media giving players reputations and so on?
I do recall from the 80 and 90s here, each team did have someone who, well, sometimes went to ground a bit easy?
Along lines of, the more water you give your plants, the more they grow....
whereas someone at, say, Unibond league knows nobody is going to pay attention to his dive...

I don't think so.
The modern game has just changed over the years is all. In much the same way that the "challenges" that the likes of Hunter/Bremner/Tommy Smith and even more recently Vinny Jones used to get away with just aren't acceptable at that level any more.
Certainly, for me anyway, the culture of football over the last 50 or so years has been one of cheating. It used to be quite frowned upon in the English game. It doesn't seem that long ago that Spanish/Italian teams would visit our shores in European Competitions and their general gamesmanship, play-acting and histrionics was viewed with derision and scorn by our players and fans alike. Enter the Premier league in the 90s and with British players at that level virtually being replaced almost in entirety by foreigners within a very short space of time, that culture has been imported wholesale and pretty much subsumed into our top flight game. It's no more surprising to see English players falling to the floor dramatically, clutching their faces during a minor altercation, in an attempt to get their opponent sent off or cautioned than it is to see a foreign player do it now. The same with diving and all the other cheating niceties that are part of our televised game. Rightly or wrongly, top flight English football used to be rough and physical - now it's just full of foreigners all trying to cheat each other out of a result for huge sums of money.

A bit gloomy I know :D but I fancy I'm not too far off the mark. :(

I don't think so.
The modern game has just changed over the years is all. In much the same way that the "challenges" that the likes of Hunter/Bremner/Tommy Smith and even more recently Vinny Jones used to get away with just aren't acceptable at that level any more.
Certainly, for me anyway, the culture of football over the last 50 or so years has been one of cheating. It used to be quite frowned upon in the English game. It doesn't seem that long ago that Spanish/Italian teams would visit our shores in European Competitions and their general gamesmanship, play-acting and histrionics was viewed with derision and scorn by our players and fans alike. Enter the Premier league in the 90s and with British players at that level virtually being replaced almost in entirety by foreigners within a very short space of time, that culture has been imported wholesale and pretty much subsumed into our top flight game. It's no more surprising to see English players falling to the floor dramatically, clutching their faces during a minor altercation, in an attempt to get their opponent sent off or cautioned than it is to see a foreign player do it now. The same with diving and all the other cheating niceties that are part of our televised game. Rightly or wrongly, top flight English football used to be rough and physical - now it's just full of foreigners all trying to cheat each other out of a result for huge sums of money.

Couldn't agree more
The money they earn is sickening with all the poverty around

Reactions: Kes

Not even cautioning for this is how to manage a game kids!!
Miley, you are on mad troll mode recently.

This challenge is a disgsuting act of thuggery and should have been sanctioned by the FA afterwards. The man's an animal

I don't think so.

I'd check someone isn't posting in your place Kes, this blokes making complete sense for a change!! ;)

Back