A&H

Newcastle v Southampton

but people are pointing at it being a two on one and that means there is an additional pass needed
On my part for pointing that out; Almiron on his own is still a red (as a one on one usually is in these cases) but I could still support a yellow. Having an extra attacker in support (making it a two on one) means it is even more likely to be red because the extra attacker is there as an additional option for a pass or rebound (not the needed option) making the possibility of a goal even higher.

I said on my first post I would dismiss for SFP
Actually your first post clearly said yellow.

Your second post had a mention of SFP but only that you would be tempted (and it can be justified if you were in the mood to dismiss)

The Referee Store
In fairness, this was an extraordinary incident. What on earth were Southampton doing with all outfield players near to the edge of the opponent's PA for a CK in the first half of a league game? Even the precedent set in the Borough games bares little comparison to this. I can therefore see why someone married to guidelines, would display the 'cannot compute' error message and fail to apply the spirit of the law. AT guilty as charged, albeit an unusual crime

I'm in two minds about this, I could definitely support a red for SFP.

And I can see the argument that this was dogso, but I don't know whether I would class this as an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity when the player and ball are so far from the opposition goal.

Certainly this wouldn't be dogso down the local park, but at that level id expect the Newcastle player to go on and at least hit the post or for the keeper to make a cracking save etc if they didn't manage to score

I'm in two minds about this, I could definitely support a red for SFP.

And I can see the argument that this was dogso, but I don't know whether I would class this as an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity when the player and ball are so far from the opposition goal.

Certainly this wouldn't be dogso down the local park, but at that level id expect the Newcastle player to go on and at least hit the post or for the keeper to make a cracking save etc if they didn't manage to score
If McClaren had still been in toon, I wouldnt have even considered SPA, but Benitez has an organized clan who could muster a clean through scenario with a ten yard running head-start. I've never seen AT look so grey as he did for a few minutes yesterday. Not nice to be faced with an incident without precedent with a global audience and 50000 unhappy zebras

AT gone downhill since his dalliance with the promotion hopefuls of the Championship, not sure if he’s done any Leeds games though!

Rabbit in headlight!

This scenario is similar to the Liverpool v Leicester game where maguire also got a yellow. Ball on half way line, slightly down the wing, and I think Salah or mane is taken out. Now, with their pace hey will probably get to it and score. However, in both cases, we have to take into account DISTANCE from goal and he’s about 70 yards out for goodness sake.
I’m going yellow SPA here. Football does expect a red card, but the LOTG do not.

The following must be considered:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

again, considered the distance, 62m.
again, considered the direction of play, not central
again, considered the likelihood, 50/50
again, considered the defenders, none

Based on the considerations, only criteria 4 is sure fire. criteria 3 has merit. criteria 1 and 2 are null imo

cant be open and closed case on an opinion call anyway, so that's just blinkered.

I think everyone has stated their case on this thread. We are now going around circles :confused:

If you saw the stoke v Swansea DOGSO red a couple of weeks ago I thought that was nailed on. It was given, however rescinded. Did anyone see it?

The following must be considered:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

again, considered the distance, 62m.
again, considered the direction of play, not central
again, considered the likelihood, 50/50
again, considered the defenders, none

Based on the considerations, only criteria 4 is sure fire. criteria 3 has merit. criteria 1 and 2 are null imo

cant be open and closed case on an opinion call anyway, so that's just blinkered.

"General direction of the play"? He wasn't going in the general direction of his own goal when he was flattened.

I admire your stubbornness. Well, no, not really.

Look at the stills
Then consider the centre circle and draw a line heading to the goal
The incident/foul/ball. Is not in that equation.

Take the centre spot. And imagine a line 4 yards to the left, and four yards to the right of it. You now have your, headed to the goal
Bear in mind, the centre circle extends to 10 yards, so, your 4 yards (the goal) falls well inside this

Now take the ball, its nowhere near the line you have just drawn. Its prob, 12 yards wide, of, heading to goal

Unless we are confusing heading to goal with, heading to the goal area.

Its not going to, under its own steam, but if the ball was allowed to roll and roll, it would run 12/14 yards from the goal frame

For it to be headed to the goal (and not the goal area), the ball would be in the centre circle, four yards one side, or four yards the other, ( making 8, the width of the goal frame)..

The ball is not even in the centre circle, far less within that 8 yard target.

314D42DC-2273-4D45-A591-6B10AF50456A.png

I'd of thought the Tennants and that yellow bit in the sky would have worn off now Miley.... It's as clear a red as you can get, the more you post to unjustly it just beggars belief that your educated opinion is thus??? Now come on, slip, slap, slop today, you're teams expect you on top form...

I take it my primary 3 simple use the facts backed up with the field markings experiment was too much for this time in the morning

And now with added diagrams.

Attachments

• 9959EA59-DFB3-4E1E-B66A-E7D7A7C4AF08.jpeg
    9959EA59-DFB3-4E1E-B66A-E7D7A7C4AF08.jpeg
    884.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 3EAA35F5-7100-43CE-97DD-95B05498467C.jpeg
    3EAA35F5-7100-43CE-97DD-95B05498467C.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 9
  • E96D8515-20A2-44AB-AD5C-88F4784FA870.jpeg
    E96D8515-20A2-44AB-AD5C-88F4784FA870.jpeg
    971.9 KB · Views: 7
Back