A&H

Newcastle v Preston

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
3 talking points so far. Newcastle first goal arguably shouldn't have stood. Clear shirt pull on the defender.

Penalty nailed on - great save by the Preston captain. If only his keeper could have made it!

Richie caution nailed on too. Clearly told free kick on the whistle, spray is put down and as the wall taken back he shoots. Whistle goes and he is incredulous at the yellow card. In truth can have no complaints and to his credit Rafa Benitez accepts the Fourth Official's explanation of just that point.

The Referee Store
The Preston captain save made my night - very funny to watch (unless you're s PRE fan).

The incorrect quick free kick was interesting. You clearly see the Ref do the whistle in the air thing and then while he's still setting up the wall Richie fires it in...and as you say the camera then shows the 4th official explaining the whistle in the air bit...super clear. Did get me thinking about what the caution would be for. Delaying the restart or USB? What if the ball whacked the ref in the back of the head? Anyway that could be Red? VC? All theoretical of course...

@WilliamD - It's USB. Several years back it happened in a FA cup tie between Chasetown and Oldham. Oldham player said he wanted the wall back, and as the referee did it he shot and the ball went in. The yellow was his second so he was off after about half an hour.

I think it's one of those that can be either USB or delaying the restart, depending on context.

yup, although on this occasion i dont think it can be delaying the restart as the ref was still organising things.
I thought he was decent, plenty of smiles and interaction with the players in general, he looked like he was enjoying it ! quite refreshing

Back