A&H

NEW RULE : Goal Kick , Question

In Norfolk we have CPD event every season for level 7-5 referees where we go through all the new law changes and sin bins formed a part of this last season as these were in force in Norfolk adult football . Prior to these events we have to take an online test on the Laws of the Game which has to be passed at 75%. If the first test is failed you have the chance to take part in a second test with different questions.

The Referee Store
It think answer James received is pretty clear now isn't it.

Oppo SHOULD be outside the area but if they are not, that's OK as long as they don't play the ball while it is in the area.
Er.. that's not how I understand it...

Oppo SHOULD be outside the area but if they are not, that's OK as long as they don't play the ball UNLESS THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LEAVE AND THE BALL IS IN PLAY

Er.. that's not how I understand it...

Oppo SHOULD be outside the area but if they are not, that's OK as long as they don't play the ball UNLESS THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LEAVE AND THE BALL IS IN PLAY

Yes I think you're right.

Subtle difference here though, is that it is usually pretty obvious when an opponent 'has had time' to retreat 10 yards, not so obvious in the penalty area - for a GK especially. Did he not have time or did he choose not to in the hope of taking advantage of this very situation?

We have the new LOTG, the IFAB clarification and DE email to James. This exact scenario is unlikely but a similar one might.
Goal kick is taken quickly from the bottom left of the goal area along the goal line, across the goal to a defender outside the penalty area near goal line. Attacker is leaving the penalty area from top right corner, but still inside when the goal kick was take, about 20 yards away at the time. He runs back 10 yards in the penalty area and intercepts the ball just inside. Neither the attacker nor the ball had left the penalty area from the time the goal kick was taken until it was intercepted. What is the decision?

DE response is quite explicit. Once the ball is kicked and clearly moves it is in play and can be challenged. It might help if I share the actual question I asked:
Screenshot_20190830_164645_com.android.email.jpg

DE response is quite explicit. Once the ball is kicked and clearly moves it is in play and can be challenged. It might help if I share the actual question I asked:
View attachment 3685
But in the same way as a (quick) free kick right? In a free kick unless the ball is kicked directly at the opponent who is closer than 10 yards, for example if the opponent takes 3 steps sideways to intercept the ball, just about every referee would stop lay and caution (or at least retake) and that is what is expected.

But in the same was as a free kick right? In a free kick unless the ball is kicked directly at the opponent who is closer than 10 yards, for example if the opponent takes 3 steps sideways to intercept the ball, just about every referee would stop lay and caution (or at least retake) and that is what is expected.

Not if he never had time to get the required distance. If team A take a quick FK (within a second), you can’t expect an opponent from team B be be 10 yards away. If it’s intercepted by someone 3 yards away, it’s the fault of team A.

Same applies for the GK in that regard.

But in the same way as a (quick) free kick right? In a free kick unless the ball is kicked directly at the opponent who is closer than 10 yards, for example if the opponent takes 3 steps sideways to intercept the ball, just about every referee would stop lay and caution (or at least retake) and that is what is expected.
I mean if the player is actively trying to prevent or intercept the free kick, yes.
However, as with a quick free kick, if the keeper takes it quickly this is an acceptance of the risk associated with the location of the opposition players.

Isn't the scenario for the goal kick "actively trying to intercept it"? The only difference with the FK video is that he is starting from further distance. At least that is the way I tried to explain it.

Not if he never had time to get the required distance. If team A take a quick FK (within a second), you can’t expect an opponent from team B be be 10 yards away. If it’s intercepted by someone 3 yards away, it’s the fault of team A.

Same applies for the GK in that regard.
It still depends on the actions of the player. If the player hasn't had time to withdraw, is just passively standing there and the ball is kicked to where they are, that's fine. On the other hand if, despite the fact that they didn't have enough time to move away, they then take active steps (either literally or figuratively) to block the kick then that's a caution all day long for me.

Classic example in the video posted by @one - player had hardly any time to withdraw but even so, because of actively moving to block the kick as it was taken, he received a well-justified yellow card.

Basically we follow this from law 13...
If, when a free kick (goal kick) is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required
distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player
takes a free kick (goal kick) quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds)(inside the PA) from
the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue. However, an opponent
who deliberately prevents a free kick (Goal kick) being taken quickly must be cautioned
for delaying the restart of play.

Basically we follow this from law 13...
If, when a free kick (goal kick) is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required
distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player
takes a free kick (goal kick) quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds)(inside the PA) from
the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue. However, an opponent
who deliberately prevents a free kick (Goal kick) being taken quickly must be cautioned
for delaying the restart of play.
Which if read literally the video I posted becomes legal. And now a goal kick i said to be treated the same way which makes it a bigger problem. Another law the law makers have put in words describing something which is not what they actually mean but expecting us to just work it out through 'football expects'. Inconsistency and all that. I think I'll stop complaining about the laws for a little while now. I have been doing too much of it lately.

It still depends on the actions of the player. If the player hasn't had time to withdraw, is just passively standing there and the ball is kicked to where they are, that's fine. On the other hand if, despite the fact that they didn't have enough time to move away, they then take active steps (either literally or figuratively) to block the kick then that's a caution all day long for me.

Classic example in the video posted by @one - player had hardly any time to withdraw but even so, because of actively moving to block the kick as it was taken, he received a well-justified yellow card.

Oh I agree. It’s a caution for delaying the restart of play- in that scenario. My point being, it’s exactly the same for GK’s as it is for FK’s.

Oh I agree. It’s a caution for delaying the restart of play- in that scenario. My point being, it’s exactly the same for GK’s as it is for FK’s.
Actually it is a caution for failing to respect the required distance. You can't caution for delaying the restart of play if play has in fact been restarted. Just a minor admin discrepancy though.

How are you guys finding your positioning for these goal kicks?

I have started to take up position before the halfway line now (so halfway in a half) because locally teams are playing it out of the back much more often, including a lot of tricks to get the ball out wide to the opposite side of where the kick is taken. I find taking up the traditional position leaves me a bit more exposed for when that happens and it isn't always easy to predict teams pulling it off.

I have started to take up position before the halfway line now (so halfway in a half) because locally teams are playing it out of the back much more often, including a lot of tricks to get the ball out wide to the opposite side of where the kick is taken. I find taking up the traditional position leaves me a bit more exposed for when that happens and it isn't always easy to predict teams pulling it off.
One has to be ready for short and ready for long and ready to go... for either, which means starting somewhere in between

I think this was discussed in another thread. In short, there are so many variables involved now that a "standard position" does not make sense any more. We are still under old laws but I suspect I wouldn't have to change what I do for next season, that is, adapt to team tactics. Even under old laws some teams always played it from the back an some teams always kick it high. And that in turn depends on opponent tactics too, if they press high or not. Its all bout being able to read/predict play and being alert.

I think this was discussed in another thread. In short, there are so many variables involved now that a "standard position" does not make sense any more. We are still under old laws but I suspect I wouldn't have to change what I do for next season, that is, adapt to team tactics. Even under old laws some teams always played it from the back an some teams always kick it high. And that in turn depends on opponent tactics too, if they press high or not. Its all bout being able to read/predict play and being alert.
Pretty much this. You just have to be ready. I have found it pretty obvious what teams are going to do. If they are going short they are in the box. If its going long the keeper is pushing defenders high.
I have yet to have see a keeper do the opposite I. E. Kick it long when defenders are close or go short when appearing to be setting up a long kick

Reactions: one
Back