A&H

New Referee

Rob

Level 9 Referee
Hi all , I recently qualified as a referee and will be refereeing my first adult game in a week or two . I regularly ref my boys under 10's but never an adult team ( I have stood in on the odd game but never when qualified ). Basically if anyone has any advice or tips they would be greatly received. Thanks

The Referee Store
Take earplugs!!!

My main tip would be to clamp down on dissent early.

Youth football the trouble makers are on the sidelines

Senior the trouble makers are on that big white thing called a pitch!

Don't be afraid to caution for dissent too early, send a clear message early on. In my experience dissent is the biggest increase you see from youth to adults.
Good luck pal

PS: welcome

PPS: Unless in the unlikely circumstance that you're under 16 I suggest you're a level 9 as opposed to an 8 as your profile suggests!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I was a level 8 then goes to a 7 after you have officiated your 6 games , guess I got it wrong lol. I won't be shy on clamping down on any dissent and won't be fazed by any criticism that I am likely to receive either , strong from the first whistle is my aim .

Thought I was a level 8 then goes to a 7 after you have officiated your 6 games , guess I got it wrong lol. I won't be shy on clamping down on any dissent and won't be fazed by any criticism that I am likely to receive either , strong from the first whistle is my aim .

Level 9 before 6 games then after 6 games <16 go to 8 and >16 go to 7 :)

Alright @Rob, nice to see another East Riding lad on here. Any problems that you have regarding local refereeing/leagues/CFA's then let me know. Are you part of an RA?

Not a fully fledged member of the RA but it is something I am looking to join in the near future. I will drop Ian McClane an email and sound him out about joining. I am looking forward to refereeing and seeing things from a refs perspective . I know what to expect especially from some of the Sunday league teams but I am confident I can do a good consistent job and stamp my authority on proceedings .

Not a fully fledged member of the RA but it is something I am looking to join in the near future. I will drop Ian McClane an email and sound him out about joining. I am looking forward to refereeing and seeing things from a refs perspective . I know what to expect especially from some of the Sunday league teams but I am confident I can do a good consistent job and stamp my authority on proceedings .
One RA meets every first Thursday of the month at the Octagon. Another meets at Walton street on the second Thursday of the month (this is the one that I'm a member of), in the November meeting Mike Dean will be there. And then there is one at Driffield on the third Thursday of every month.

Back