The Ref Stop

New referee needing clarity/reassurance

Alienal

Grassroots Referee
Hi all, forum looks great and I've read through threads and learned alot. Nothing serious just to wase my mind I guess.

1. I can't find anything concrete on dribble ins. Is it one touch and they can shoot or score or two? One makes sense se to me as the ball is then in play

2. Does the rule on pens where the striker hits the post/cross bar and then taps it in m, this is then a free kick to the other side and no goal is given?

3. Most coaches want to break the 50min game into quarters which is fine and allowed. Question Is when the 12.5mins is up does the restart start where it finished I.e. say a corner or does it restart at the centre like traditionally it would?

I am a volunteer ref for u9s but these have been in my head and would feel better knowing the answer

Thanks in adance

The Ref Stop
1. Yes one touch then they can shoot - they just can't score directly. If they do score directly from a pass in/dribble in then restart with a goal kick to the other team
2. Yes indirect free kick to the other team from the position where the ball was touched again, this 'double touch' rule is common across various restarts not just penalty kicks
3. Default would be a kick-off, but you can check if competition rules say different

I'm involved in my sons u7s team. Officially the game is played in 20 min halves but we always agree to play quarters to make subs/give advice. The way we (and everyone else) have approached this is to make the subs following a break in play around the 10 and 30 min mark with play restarted by the appropriate method.

It certainly doesn't matter if you choose to restart with kick offs...but I think doing it as above is strictly the 'best' way to do it in law/in line with competition rules.

I'm involved in my sons u7s team. Officially the game is played in 20 min halves but we always agree to play quarters to make subs/give advice. The way we (and everyone else) have approached this is to make the subs following a break in play around the 10 and 30 min mark with play restarted by the appropriate method.

It certainly doesn't matter if you choose to restart with kick offs...but I think doing it as above is strictly the 'best' way to do it in law/in line with competition rules.
The FA's mini soccer rules allow for the game to be 'officially' split into quarters.

I have a related question about mini soccer rules. In age groups where you are no longer allowed deliberately to head the ball, what happens if a player deliberately heads a ball which would otherwise have gone into his team's goal?

I have a related question about mini soccer rules. In age groups where you are no longer allowed deliberately to head the ball, what happens if a player deliberately heads a ball which would otherwise have gone into his team's goal?
EDIT as apparently the FA has made up its own rule rather than following the IFAB trial protocol.

Indirect free kick to the other team from the sideline of the penalty area only. Caution if it is persistent infringement only. Source: https://www.englandfootball.com/participate/learn/brain-health/heading-in-football

Sanctions in the event of a deliberate header in a match:
From the start of the 2024/25 season, there will be no disciplinary sanctions applied for a deliberate header in a match, unless the action is considered a persistent deliberate offence, which could then result in a caution

Last edited:
Indirect free kick to the other team from the sideline of the penalty area closest to where the offence took place, and sending off the player who headed the ball for denying a goal.

The relevant text from the IFAB trial protocol is:

Deliberately heading the ball is not a cautionable (yellow card) or sending-off (red card) offence unless it:
  • stops or interferes with a promising attack (yellow card)
  • denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (red card)
  • occurs often enough to be considered ‘persistent misconduct’ (yellow card)
That is the IFAB Trial protocol but the application in England is (as published in England Football) :
From the start of the 2024-25 season, there will be no disciplinary sanctions applied for a deliberate header in a match, unless the action is considered a persistent deliberate offence, which could then result in a caution

Back