A&H

New Referee - General Questions

jtpetherick

Afternoon all,

I'm attending a course this weekend with my local FA and then its straight into my five games (in a not overly welcome rush before I move to Wales FA mid-September for university, and I just have a couple of questions!

First of all, equipment - I've recently purchased the Limit Referees' Watch from A&H International and have found that I misread the website. Having initially thought I was in for an easy ride with a watch which would count the 45 minutes for me, as well as any necessary added time, I find it only counts up or down. I'm not looking for sympathy - my own fault only. It does, at least, explain why I always see referees with a watch on each wrist. Therefore, I want to know do you advise I buy a second watch and how would I use them? Does one run throughout and the other is stopped with major stoppages such as injuries or substitutions - the difference between the two when one reaches 45 minutes being the added time?

Next, I have just purchased a ludicrously expensive Nike 2018 kit and wonder is it worth buying a second, coloured top or is that overkill at this early stage? The kit I ordered came with a FAMOA decal badge on the left pocket and, when I qualify, I intend to put my FA's badge on the other pocket. It is my understanding that until I fully qualify I cannot actually wear a FAMOA badge, should I therefore cover it up on my five games?

As a new referee, I have been told 'you don't referee to get fit anymore, you get fit to referee' and am wondering what you guys use for fitness regimes?

Finally, when I (hopefully!) qualify, or indeed when I'm looking for my five games, what is the actual process of being appointed to matches?

Many thanks for all of your help!

The Referee Store
Therefore, I want to know do you advise I buy a second watch and how would I use them? Does one run throughout and the other is stopped with major stoppages such as injuries or substitutions - the difference between the two when one reaches 45 minutes being the added time?

Two watches, one runs forever, the other gets stopped for stoppages. You will at some point completely forget to restart that watch - everyone does it, but that's why you have the spare. Also in case the battery dies or whatever.

Next, I have just purchased a ludicrously expensive Nike 2018 kit and wonder is it worth buying a second, coloured top or is that overkill at this early stage?

If you're moving to Wales, the uniform is explicitly black only - clubs are generally not permitted to wear black. So I wouldn't even bother with a coloured top. If you're coming to West Wales, the kit is supplied by Mitre I believe, but I don't think there'll be an issue with you using the Nike kit anyway. Not sure you'd be allowed to wear the badge here though.

As a new referee, I have been told 'you don't referee to get fit anymore, you get fit to referee' and am wondering what you guys use for fitness regimes?

There's an FA fitness resource on here that covers training regimes out on a football pitch. It's based around strength, speed endurance, agility and HIIT. I've been using it over the summer as I've been lucky enough to have a free football pitch available to use. It's pretty good. Most local referees here will find a running track and use that as their main source of training - so that's a viable alternative.

My personal preference is to mix weight-training at the gym for core strength with the FA training regime guide on here. That training regime scales according to your ability, so you can be flexible with it. Winter training might be a bit more difficult on pitches though, depending on the weather.

(EDIT: Here's the link: https://www.refchat.co.uk/resources/fa-learning-fitness-for-refereeing.33/)

Finally, when I (hopefully!) qualify, or indeed when I'm looking for my five games, what is the actual process of being appointed to matches?

Down in Wales, you'll register with the county FA (if you're not registered, you're not permitted to cover games except in extraordinary circumstances) and the referee's officer there will direct you in contact with the local league referee's officer. They'll assign you fixtures, usually on a monthly basis - you'll be asked every month when you're free and to close off dates.. Some leagues will have mid-week games this month and in the summer - if you're in Wales in September you'll probably hit the local leagues in full swing for the weekend fixtures.

I believe as it would be your first season you wouldn't be allowed to go for promotion down here (assuming you're thrown in at the bottom grade) and you'll be restricted to the local league games. It'll be unlikely you'll get county cup fixtures etc in the first season anyway. (As far as I know, the 'five games' thing is an England thing, I'm sure down here the moment you pass the exam you're free to referee straight off the bat assuming you're registered.)

If you speak to the county referee's officer, they may send an assessor to your early game just to point you in the right direction. Where abouts in Wales are you going to?

EDIT2: Someone else on here will know more about moving between England and Wales though, I'm not familar with the process myself. But I hope the information helps anyway.

I must confess, I have not met a referee yet (I have not met that many, and only a few odd countries) that actually stops a watch at stoppages.

Everyone I know with the Spinstos - and they have a good stoppage feature - does not use the stoppage feature!

Everyone I have checked with makes a mental note at major stoppages, and makes allowances for e.g. subs, timewasting, misc... in some places there is an e.g. 30 secs per sub guide... it's one of those "football expects" things isn't it, but that does change in extreme games...

Are there some keen watch-stoppers on here?

I must confess, I have not met a referee yet (I have not met that many, and only a few odd countries) that actually stops a watch at stoppages.

Everyone I know with the Spinstos - and they have a good stoppage feature - does not use the stoppage feature!

Everyone I have checked with makes a mental note at major stoppages, and makes allowances for e.g. subs, timewasting, misc... in some places there is an e.g. 30 secs per sub guide... it's one of those "football expects" things isn't it, but that does change in extreme games...

I used to for almost every stoppage. I still use the same system, but as time has gone on my threashold for what requires a stoppage has gradually gone up. Nowadays I only really stop it for an injury that requires treatment and if the ball goes miles away and isn't replaced quick.y. Even subs I will only stop the watch for in tight games

EDIT2: Someone else on here will know more about moving between England and Wales though, I'm not familar with the process myself. But I hope the information helps anyway.

I made the transition (best decision, ever!)

When its time to make the move, contact what will be your Referee officer (unsure where in Wales you are going to give you there details) - explain to them you are moving over the border, and would like to register. They will more than likely want your certificate or something, and will put you in touch with any relevant league appointment officers.

Then just let your english RDO know you have moved, and that you would like to un-register yourself from the CFA so you are not in any emails (I still get loads!).

You will more than likely get an assessor (it will be more of a coach at this stage) for the first few games to get you on track and see whether you will require any more development (potential for the development scheme).

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any more info!

I think you must have one watch which measures real time. This is the most important time and if you mess with it, you'll lose track. A second watch can be used in any way you see fit, whether that be recording the duration of major stoppages, sin bin stuff or whatever. And remember time is relative; if you run a lot slower than the players, you might end up blowing for full-time too early 🤔

I was Santa.......every time. Need all the help I can get with failing old age memory.......

I used to for almost every stoppage. I still use the same system, but as time has gone on my threashold for what requires a stoppage has gradually gone up. Nowadays I only really stop it for an injury that requires treatment and if the ball goes miles away and isn't replaced quick.y. Even subs I will only stop the watch for in tight games
Pretty much the same here but only for the last game of the day on any field. Otherwise time roles. Comp rules.

I wear two watches almost always. I wear a standard Gshock on my left using the stopwatch as a primary timer. I wear a garmin 410 gps on my right which I use to see how far I've run, calories, and as a backup timer. The backup has saved me before when my primary battery died.

I never stop my primary. Bad things happen :) like neglecting to restart it. I will only stop my backup if there is a lengthy stoppage for a significant injury to help me keep track of time lost.

Very true on the get fit to referee. On a full sided game as CR with AR's, depending on how back and forth the play is, I will run 4.5miles on the low end and 6.5 on the high end. Do 6+ games in a weekend and you are covering some serious ground.

I dont have a fitness regimen to share as I have been a player for 40 yrs and was in good shape coming in. I do hit the treadmill in the off season to keep from fading.

HYDRATE and stretch (if you are an old fart like me). Muscle pulls will get you during a busy season if you dont

One stopwatch, one face watch. If you kick off at 3 then as last resort if you mess up the stopwatch, you know 345 is the earliest point for ht

Fitness, you need to be fit enough for the task in hand.
I was mega fit, athelte material when i was at my peak
Today, am match fit, I think when am not, and its obv am not, then I retire
I think I be doing a disservice to the game, fellow refs, but most importantly myself, if i was not match fit
3 or 4 30 min runs per week does me, on top of games.

Being hydrated helps, do the urine test thing, and prepare mentally as much as you do psychically

Last edited:
On the get fit to referee, very much the case for anyone with aspirations and looking to move up the ranks. At grassroots many of the late (40s+) new recruits join to get in shape or improve their fitness, with the shortage of referees, its never been an issue to accept them into the course or even discourage the reason behind it. Its just a matter of finding appropriate games for the level of fitness/skill/experience.

The philosophy behind it is. it's better to have a neutral qualified referee to officiate the game who attempts to get close to play instead of a parent/partner/grandparent or a club person who is not qualified and stays in the centre circle all game.

I wear two watches almost always. I wear a standard Gshock on my left using the stopwatch as a primary timer. I wear a garmin 410 gps on my right which I use to see how far I've run, calories, and as a backup timer. The backup has saved me before when my primary battery died.

I never stop my primary. Bad things happen :) like neglecting to restart it. I will only stop my backup if there is a lengthy stoppage for a significant injury to help me keep track of time lost.

Very true on the get fit to referee. On a full sided game as CR with AR's, depending on how back and forth the play is, I will run 4.5miles on the low end and 6.5 on the high end. Do 6+ games in a weekend and you are covering some serious ground.

I dont have a fitness regimen to share as I have been a player for 40 yrs and was in good shape coming in. I do hit the treadmill in the off season to keep from fading.

HYDRATE and stretch (if you are an old fart like me). Muscle pulls will get you during a busy season if you dont
Hate to reply to my own post but I dont mean to scare anyone off. Depends on the level you work. I am working to higher levels and to prove to myself I can still do it. There are many exceptional referees that I consider mentors who are not in the best shape any more. I will still be refereeing many years from know when my body gives me up on me. I will do the younger ages where I can still keep up and not take away from the players' game. Have fun and keep at it!

I had my first game the other day, I used this watch, worked a treat counts down from 45 and you press a button to add on stoppage, quite loud beeps and relatively cheap, would say watch a football match on TV and use your watch whilst watching, gets you used to the functions before you're in the middle and have no idea...like me 😂

Leap Unisex Professional Digital... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LKRQDK8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Back