A&H

New Ref

MarkJake

Level 9 Referee
Hi all. I joined on behalf of my 14 year old son who is the new ref. He passed his 6-game assessment in October and so far I'm impressed with his ability to handle a football game. It can be intimidating for a young lad to have to deal with the players, managers and parents but he has proved to be able to handle anything that has been thrown at him. Saying that, the parents and managers have been very respectful and not given him a hard time really. I regularly take notes during the game and give constructive criticism when needed but some things I don't know what the rules are. For instance, this Sunday in an U12 game one player was niggly all game and it came to a head after the final whistle when there was a bit of a scuffle between him and a player from the other team. My son handled it well but my question is.....at what point does the referee stop making decisions in amateur youth football?

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Referee can "make decisions", in this case report misconduct, from when they arrive at the ground, to when they leave.

Hi all. I joined on behalf of my 14 year old son who is the new ref. He passed his 6-game assessment in October and so far I'm impressed with his ability to handle a football game. It can be intimidating for a young lad to have to deal with the players, managers and parents but he has proved to be able to handle anything that has been thrown at him. Saying that, the parents and managers have been very respectful and not given him a hard time really. I regularly take notes during the game and give constructive criticism when needed but some things I don't know what the rules are. For instance, this Sunday in an U12 game one player was niggly all game and it came to a head after the final whistle when there was a bit of a scuffle between him and a player from the other team. My son handled it well but my question is.....at what point does the referee stop making decisions in amateur youth football?

In answer to the question, the referee has authority from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave, but the manor in which different types of conduct would be dealt with is different.

Typically and according to the laws of the game the referee 'has authority from the moment he enters the pitch to the moment he leaves the pitch.'

That means a referee can issue yellow or red cards during the warm up if conduct permits. Some would take this further - you occasionally hear of yellow or red cards being issued in the tunnel or dressing rooms.

Outside of the players and on pitch antics though, anything that the referee deems to be 'misconduct' is reported to the authorities via misconduct reports.

Misconduct reports also cover in game incidents requiring action from the referee involving participants that cannot be shown cards, for example managers or members of the technical areas.

So your son needs to keep up the great work and keep his eyes and ears peeled from the minute he gets there to the minute he leaves!

I have always been led to believe red or yellow cards can only be shown on the field of play...inclusive of subs etc. on the sidelines.
For me as soon as i arrive at the ground and till the moment i depart is where my official capacity as a referee begins and ends. After one match a few seasons ago i was walking to my car when i was approached by a woman saying to players were squaring up to each other in the car park and she asked if i still had the authority of a referee, i said yes i did and i went over to these two players and just told them what trouble they would be in if they started fighting to which they both walked off.

Last edited:
Sub on the bench giving a gob full is getting a card. Pre-match (from when you arrive) any dissent etc = YC when everyones out just before KO. after the game if we are still on the pitch the cards come out (haha yu canlt card me ref, the game's over - can't I, lets see if this goes through then shall we thank you player), if it's post match in the dressing rooms / clubhouse it's a misconduct report.

only other thing, if you want to halep your son progress, print off a set of LOTG, read, digest and understand them - will give you a great feeling being able to answer his questions with honest, true, constructive answers.

and finally - The game has laws, leagues have rules!

welcome to the fold (even if it is by proxy)

Just pulling my kitbag from the boot of my car when I heard "Oh Christ, not you again"

As I closed the hatch, I became aware of a few youth players crossing the car park, and that their further unfriendly comments were not directed at me, but at a young colleague just entering the dressing room door a few yard so my right. He turned, looked at them, and just smiled and went inside.

Fate had already intervened, he wasn't refereeing them, I was, but I was pleased with his reaction all the same.

Welcome to you new colleague by the way

In answer to the question, the referee has authority from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave, but the manor in which different types of conduct would be dealt with is different.

Typically and according to the laws of the game the referee 'has authority from the moment he enters the pitch to the moment he leaves the pitch.'

That means a referee can issue yellow or red cards during the warm up if conduct permits. Some would take this further - you occasionally hear of yellow or red cards being issued in the tunnel or dressing rooms.

Outside of the players and on pitch antics though, anything that the referee deems to be 'misconduct' is reported to the authorities via misconduct reports.

Misconduct reports also cover in game incidents requiring action from the referee involving participants that cannot be shown cards, for example managers or members of the technical areas.

So your son needs to keep up the great work and keep his eyes and ears peeled from the minute he gets there to the minute he leaves!
@RegalRef ..... Very well written Sir .....:cool:

I'm more of a Babbling Rambler :D

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Since I've been following this forum and also watching my son referee I have realised what a tough job reffing can be and I bow in admiration to all of you for doing this role. Keep up the good work and look out for more queries from me!!!

Back