A&H

New Ref

BigTimeAl

Hi everyone,

I've just booked onto a referee's course for West Riding FA.

Just wanting some advice as I approach the other side of football! Keen to progress with ref'ing as much as I can and be involved at a good level.

Thanks!

The Referee Store
Well done and welcome!
Your FA should be able to set you up with a mentor as you do the course. It may be worth finding out what the course includes in terms of kit (mine gave whistle, lino flags etc) so you don't spend needlessly.

Get familiar with the Laws (especially 12 - fouls & misconduct). There's a free Laws of the Game app by the IFAB which I think is really good. Your course may also supply a physical copy.

Get yourself know to local leagues and join a referee association. They will be able to help and provide support.

See if you can run the line for other referees as you can pick up some great tips and observe experienced refs.

Then it'll be getting in as many games as you can. Practise is the best teacher in this game.

Hi everyone,

I've just booked onto a referee's course for West Riding FA.

Just wanting some advice as I approach the other side of football! Keen to progress with ref'ing as much as I can and be involved at a good level.

Thanks!
Be on time for your course. Remember your paperwork for your DBS check. Turn up to all the sessions. Listen to your tutors, they are lovely people. Sorry I won't be there.

Read the app mentioned by @afronaut81 It can be found at www.theifab.com

Learn law 5 and 12.

Last edited:
Don't think you'll get every decision correct /perfect every time, don't dwell too much on mistakes, try and pay attention to the play on the pitch etc rather than gassing to someone as you'll have seen what's happened rather than guess.

Oh and don't do what I did in my second or third game, and blow for FT 10 minutes early!

Enjoy it all, its good fun, you learn a lot.

PM me if you like, I'm just over year in as a late 20's referee.

Oh and don't do what I did in my second or third game, and blow for FT 10 minutes early!

In my first two games I would forget to start my watch until about 5 minutes in!
I now have two watches - one counts down the 45 and the other has the time.

In my first two games I would forget to start my watch until about 5 minutes in!
I now have two watches - one counts down the 45 and the other has the time.
I've forgotten to start the watch for about 30 seconds a few times, other than that I just use 2 watches, one as a stopwatch and one with the normal time on. At grassroots it's all I need really.

Most importantly, spend 10 minutes on your own after a game and analyse what went well and, more importantly, didn't go well. Doing this will help you seek advice and become a better referee.
Last word, given to me by my trainer on my course, "Be Brave"

Thanks all! Wasn't expecting such great advice from so many.

The course itself is 4 days spread over two weeks but it appears quite vague online, am I ok to referee on completion of those days?

The course itself is 4 days spread over two weeks but it appears quite vague online, am I ok to referee on completion of those days?

You usually do the course as you said above, and then referee 5 games (which you hopefully will have a mentor watch you for a couple). Then you go back for an exam, which is what happens at a few County FAs.

The course has 4 face to face elements before your exam which will take place some time in the New Year.

You attend an evening (or half day) introductory presentation, an evening (or half day) workshop on Safeguarding and two full days (usually Sundays or midweek days in school holidays) of practical training. During those two days you will receive guidance on preparing for games, the application of the laws most commonly used in football and how to manage frequently occurring situations, such as managing a defensive wall. You will be asked to referee a short period of football during which your application of the laws and game management will be observed by the Referees Development Officer or another suitably experienced person (usually your course's tutors). They will decide if you are ready to referee. If they think you are, you can referee the next day. If they think you aren't ready, they will recommend attending part or all of the course again at a later date.

You have to complete a minimum of 5 games (11v11 or 9v9 with offside) before you can go back to take your law exam. Once you pass the law exam, you are a qualified referee.

Sorry if the information online appears vague. The problem with a lot of the content is that it makes really clear sense to those of us who already know about refereeing. We forget that to those not involved in refereeing don't always understand the terminology or arrangements in place.

I won't be involved in your course however I know those who will be. They are all experienced tutors and referees. They will probably include one or more of the following
  1. FA Women's Cup Referee
  2. Former instructor for the Army FA
  3. A referee who has refereed at at least two international youth tournaments

When you receive your pre-course work, please make sure you do it before you attend the main part of the course. It will make your life so much easier. One last thing, once you complete this course, you will never watch football in the same way ever again. Sorry about that.

Before anyone chips in to say that's not how we do it or how it should be done, my comments relate directly to the delivery of the course by West Riding County FA who are the course providers for the OP.

Sorry if the information online appears vague. The problem with a lot of the content is that it makes really clear sense to those of us who already know about refereeing. We forget that to those not involved in refereeing don't always understand the terminology or arrangements in place.

This wasn't a dig btw, was just a bit unsure. The actual course layout is really in-depth.

Thanks for so much information too!

This wasn't a dig btw, was just a bit unsure. The actual course layout is really in-depth.

Thanks for so much information too!
It wasn't taken as a dig at all and I'm happy to help. I've just started teacher training. I've come to realise that something that seems really obvious and straightforward to middle aged me is a completely strange land to teens. Little things like multiplying negative numbers together giving you a positive number for example. I hope you enjoy your course and once you pass and decide to venture into open age football, get in touch with the West Yorkshire Association Football League. I've heard the Referee Appointments Secretary is a nice person.

Oh and one more thing, that tutor line up is confirmed. So enjoy your time with Jane, Mick and Lewis.

Back