A&H

New Ref 3rd Game wow!!!

Zimmyman

Ok I did two games yesterday as part of my five games that I have to do !! Wow ! It was a lot harder than I anticipated !! Made some silly mistakes !! But by enlarge it was ok but I got verbal from the managers ! Parents etc !! I had to warn one linesman for using the F word at me and reminded him it was boys under 14 football ! For the first time I thought what am I doing here ? Do I need this ? But I love doing it and want to persevere any thoughts ???

The Referee Store
It is tough at the beginning, junior football can be more noisy than adult football. You need to zone out the managers and parents and concertrate what is on the FOP.

One thought - should you have dismissed the assistant for his comments? At least, you should have removed him from being your assistant and got the club to provide a replacement.

Ok I did two games yesterday as part of my five games that I have to do !! Wow ! It was a lot harder than I anticipated !! Made some silly mistakes !! But by enlarge it was ok but I got verbal from the managers ! Parents etc !! I had to warn one linesman for using the F word at me and reminded him it was boys under 14 football ! For the first time I thought what am I doing here ? Do I need this ? But I love doing it and want to persevere any thoughts ???

I wouldn't of even reminded him it was U14's. That language directed at you in the position he's in, his running the line for that match is done

Thank you for the advice !! There was a shove in the keeper which I thought was ok he then shouted oi ref that as a F—-ng foul really loud what should I have done better and in which way with the assistant ?? He was very appologetic afterwards but I need more advice thank in advance

@Zimmyman the problem with not dealing with that kind of comment (loud one which everyone hears) correctly sends the wrong message to everyone else that you are willing to accept it and setting the bar very low. At least you identified you had to do something about it but didn't go far enough.

The better way to handle it would have been to remove him from his position. If he is apologetic, let him know that allowing him to continue would send the wrong message to everyone else and you don't really have any other option.

I’ve just done 3 games as part of my 5 and I found in the first one I wasn’t harsh enough and the players kept using dissentful words so I would advise taking action to stamp authority on the game

A yellow for dissent will normally shut up the rest of the team, certainly at youth level.

I wouldn’t even ask. I’d just tell and then remove
First game, U-14's with parents. Your approach is bold!

Ask, Tell, Remove is the stepped approach for the technical areas. However, if conduct is so bad, then miss levels out but go into a match with this attitude. The EPL referees do it, so why not you?

Ask, Tell, Remove is the stepped approach for the technical areas. However, if conduct is so bad, then miss levels out but go into a match with this attitude. The EPL referees do it, so why not you?

Coincidentally I actually had this situation happen to me in one of my most recents games. Appeared that the CAR was arguing with the opposing players/coach around a couple of decisions. Asked the coach, but told the linesman to refrain from continuing with that. I did think to myself why I was treating them both differently, but at that moment in time I was going with the CAR is essentially an extension of me and should uphold the values a little more.

You just need games
Remember, you're no longer a family member helping out. Donning that kit and taking a fee has transformed you into a unique class of citizen, below that of a Traffic Warden
Assuming you didn't caution the GK for dissent, everyone would subliminally see a green light for grief (including the Club Assistant). Early days, you'll quickly learn to manage such incidents better as you lose any naivety

I was basing this on the OP stating that the linesman used the F word towards me. Wouldn’t have tolerance for that at an under 14’s game

My RDO commented recently, that very few cautions/dismissals are recorded by trainee referees
I dished out two yellows in my 1st game (1xRP,1xC2), but that's not the norm
That said, i'm still very much on the learning curve 60 games later

My RDO commented recently, that very few cautions/dismissals are recorded by trainee referees
I dished out two yellows in my 1st game (1xRP,1xC2), but that's not the norm
That said, i'm still very much on the learning curve 60 games later
Couple of years at kid level for me initially, a few cards but not anything like Sunday league OA... Not even comparable!!!

Back