A&H

New Offside Rule

Xman

So for the new season the only major rule change apart from the reference to goal line technology is the alteration to Law 11, offside.

There has been an abbreviation to the "interfering with an opponent" infringement from making moves or gestures which deceive or distract the opponent simplified to just "challenging an opponent for the ball."

Gaining an Advantage has now been given a whole new dynamic as well. Now a player in an offside position is not considered to have gained an advantage if the ball comes to him via an opponent (assuming the opponent has deliberately played or tried to intercept the ball). This player is now considered to be onside. This is unless the ball has been deflected to him via the opponent (assuming that the opponent has not attempted to play or intercept the ball).

What do you think of these changes? Have they came up in any of your games so far this season? Do you find any aspects of the changes helpful/confusing on the interpretation of the current law?

The Referee Store
Wording is still a bit wooly. Does it now mean that if an onside player A takes a shot at goal and the is "deflected" from the goalie who is trying to save it (intercept?) and that deflection reaches offside player B then player B is no longer committing an offside offence?

Wording is still a bit wooly. Does it now mean that if an onside player A takes a shot at goal and the is "deflected" from the goalie who is trying to save it (intercept?) and that deflection reaches offside player B then player B is no longer committing an offside offence?
That's the way I interpret it. This could be a biggy!

No, it absolutely doesn't mean that. The law clearly outlines that this is offside by the wording "deliberate save" within the guidance.

In essence, all the amendments to guidance on offside have done is set out a clearer definition of interfering with an opponent, i.e you have to either be obstructing line of vision or physically challenging for the ball, and put into law the existing implementation regarding gaining an advantage for example when an opponent attempts to clear and makes a hash of it or makes a wilful attempt to intervene in an attacking move but effectively plays the ball to an opponent in an offside position.

The guide is good.

The only area I was foggy on was what constitutes deflection rather than a deliberately played ball by a defender, but this helps a lot.

I'm sure in practice the new mental approach to judging an offside will take some getting used to but I'm sure it will stick once we all get some practice. I've still to run the line under the new rules so far so that will be a bit of a challenge initially.

I saw a whole bunch of refs at a conference really not understand this change in definition! Read it all carefully, it makes a lot of sense. deliberate save = offside gaining advantage.

The only new chaos it adds is the ref being responsible for deciding if a pass is deliberate (intentional) or not (deflection).

Back