A&H

New kit - which badge?!

The Gump

As an Adidas wearer, I’ve just ordered two of the new 24 shirts.

Question is - do I have to go with the County badge given the new “rules”, or would it be okay to take my (old style) FA Referee badge off the old shirts and put them on my new shirt? Could fo without paying £10 for two new county badges but equally don’t want to do the wrong thing either.

If I have to wear the County badge on my shirt, is it ok to put the old FA badge on the 1/4 zip I wear?

What’s the view on double badging the shirt?! The 24 Adidas shirt has a really prominent logo in the centre so both badges would make it symmetrical but I don’t want to be a double badge banker if it’s not the done thing!

Any advice much appreciated because I’m awful at sewing and it takes forever so I don’t want to do something I shouldn’t!

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
A&H International
Thanks James. If it’s properly being phased out I’ll just bite the bullet on the county badges for the shirt and put the old FAMAO one on the drill top.

FAMOA was phased out before the start of last season, but I see more Referees than ever wearing them still, including those with brand new kits

Aren’t as easy to find anymore though, The newly formed Referee Shop do sell them, but Ref Stop missing a trick getting rid IMO

Still got my sew-it-yerself FAMOA *round* badge somewhere. Might eBay it.

As ever, the answer: one badge, county.

FAMOA was phased out before the start of last season, but I see more Referees than ever wearing them still, including those with brand new kits

Aren’t as easy to find anymore though, The newly formed Referee Shop do sell them, but Ref Stop missing a trick getting rid IMO
which newly formed referee shop?

The Referee Shop they are called, used to solely trade on eBay and have for years, but now have their own website by the same name - therefereeshop.co.uk

I get all my stuff there now, I think they are quite small, good stock of key items such as black shirts shorts and socks, but they don’t seem to have stock of colours very often

Not really linked to the topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread for this: any users here from Surrey FA or anyone with knowhow who knows about guidance regarding whether refs can buy a different colour referee shirt (not black) as I have had a few instances where my kit clashes with some teams

I am Y1 ref btw, only been involved in reffing for a few months now, loving it, want to progress up the levels and just wanna improve my technical ability but also being professional by looking the part.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not really linked to the topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread for this: any users here from Surrey FA who knows about guidance regarding whether refs can buy a different colour referee shirt (not black) as I have had a few instances where my kit clashes with some teams

I am Y1 ref btw, only been involved in reffing for a few months now, loving it, want to progress up the levels and just wanna improve my technical ability but also being professional by looking the part.

Thanks!
I’m not from Surrey, but I can definitely say no team should be wearing black at youth level. I’m certain that the SCOR-Y forbids this. Worth checking competition rules about that though!

Tbf the few instances where it has happened (black kit clash) was where both teams’ home shirts clashed and the away team didn’t have an away kit, so just arrived with all their players in a black T-shirt 😫

I had to tell the coach that either their team can go in bibs - as I know I shouldn’t be in them - or just watch out for the taller guy in black…

Anyone Level 5-7 who knows about coloured referee shirts?

The answer to if you can wear coloured shirts is often both County and League Specific

Some Counties (albeit not very many) have a blanket ban on any colours, and some allow it.

On top of this, there are certain leagues that regardless of the County will still not allow colours

Your best bet here would be to email your RDO and check

With all of the above said, if you are brand new and still refereeing young kids games, no one will be having any complaints if you’re wearing colours instead of black in the event of a clash

Teams cannot wear black or dark blue shirts at grass roots, that is covered by rule 19(D) in the Standard Code of Rules (SCoR).

Whether referees can wear colours other than black in England is down to each CFA. The FA left it to each county's referees committee to make the decision, but they were only allowed to nominate one alternative colour.

Somerset allowed non black last season for the first time. Didn't specify a colour, b t did say that it had to be only in the case of kit clash or for low light where the colours could be hard that it was distinguish.

Basically, not just because we fancied it.

Edited to add, that the Somerset County League provided every ref with a coloured shirt. 👍🏼

Last edited:
🤔
Think they had to specify a colour or say any colour is fine. AFAIK it's any colour down here.
No, it was definitely only one colour allowed, but I suspect a degree of creative freedom was used. London FA stuck with black only, but there are hundreds of referees out every weekend in different colours. I think it falls into the "there are more important things to worry about" category.

The choice has to remain with the referee though, clubs cannot wear black kits.

In Guernsey we can wear any colour where club ARs are used as long as doesn’t clash with teams obviously. For games with neutral ARs it’s either black or green as long as all 3 officials have same colour shirt.

Not really linked to the topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread for this: any users here from Surrey FA or anyone with knowhow who knows about guidance regarding whether refs can buy a different colour referee shirt (not black) as I have had a few instances where my kit clashes with some teams

Thanks!
As far as I am aware, Surrey FA is still a blanket ban on colours. Black only.

Back