A&H

New Flags

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
I'm going to be in the market for some new flags over the next few months. I'm debating on whether or not to go for the beep flags as I'm foreseeing a fairly dense fixture list in the next while and the added revenue from that could put me into a place where I can afford them. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice: do you go with the Evrocom or TouchLine? What's the difference? Is one much better than the other?

The Referee Store
I'm foreseeing a fairly dense fixture list in the next while and the added revenue from that could put me into a place where I can afford them.
Blimey. Either you are getting an awful lot of games coming up or the pay for refs in Canada is a lot better than over here, or the flags are a lot cheaper. To be able to afford the Evrocom 2 flag set, I would have to ref over 20 games!

Yeah, well, there are upwards of four different cups competitions in addition to regular season play. By the end of the season (and remember, our season is late May through October), I'll probably have reffed around 70 matches. Some of those matches will make me 60 or 70 dollars (that's University and those are few and far between) but the majority will make me between 45 and 50 dollars. The flags are around 800 dollars taxes included so I reckon it will be about halfway through the season and I'll be able to purchase the flags with my match income alone. That's the goal, anyway.

Actually, now that you've broken it down, it wouldn't be outside of the realms of possibility to do the same. Match fees look about on a par with ours and so are the flag costs. I only started in March and, considering the weather, have managed to get 9 games under my belt with at least 2 more set up to do before the end of the season. I would like to think that I would have done more than 20 if I had started at the beginning of the season. Although at my level at the moment, I would only be thinking of the normal touchline ones for about £45 (or just over two matches).

Yeah, the beep flags really aren't even terribly helpful until a certain point. They can actually be quite a hindrance -- especially while you're working with CARs.

Ryan, as you say, when working with CAR's, the buzzer flags are a hindrance.
Do you work with NAR's regularly? Would the use of buzzer flags aid your game? Would the majority of NAR's know how to use them properly?
If all three answers are yes, then get them. If not, don't.

As for which to buy - the Touchline's are much better as the referee in terms if the buzzing, beeping and the fit of the pack. As an AR, the ErvoCom's are 100x nicer, but the receiver pack is bigger and bulkier for the referee.

Your call.

PS, I use RefsCall and they more than do the job adequately! Only downside is the volume of the beep is extremely loud and there's no way of turning it down

Ryan, as you say, when working with CAR's, the buzzer flags are a hindrance.
Do you work with NAR's regularly? Would the use of buzzer flags aid your game? Would the majority of NAR's know how to use them properly?
If all three answers are yes, then get them. If not, don't.

As for which to buy - the Touchline's are much better as the referee in terms if the buzzing, beeping and the fit of the pack. As an AR, the ErvoCom's are 100x nicer, but the receiver pack is bigger and bulkier for the referee.

Your call.

PS, I use RefsCall and they more than do the job adequately! Only downside is the volume of the beep is extremely loud and there's no way of turning it down
I echo what Dan says.

I also use RefsCall. The beep is very loud, but the flags are comfortable. The receiver is also quite chunky and you need some alternative to the provided strap to hold it. However, for almost a quarter of the price of Touchlines or ErvoCom's, you can't fault them.

Cheers guys. I work with NARs nearly every match and never work with CARs. That's not something we do in New Brunswick. I suspect that most NARs would never have used the signal beep flags before but they are rather easy to learn. I've used Ervocom both as a Referee and AR at some tournaments and really didn't mind the receiver but having looked into it, the Touchline receiver looks bloody brilliant. Never seen one used nor have I ever used one, however, so I am not sure. It's the familiarity that's leaning me towards Ervocom but this purchase is a solid three months away so I've plenty of time to make the decision.

Back