A&H

Neil Warnock

Should have asked him what Andre Marriners first game was and how did he become a top referee (his words)

Hes arguing over a yellow card, not a game changing decision unless Deeney had already been booked.

The Referee Store
To an extent I can understand Warnock's comments - why should Cardiff/Watford get the 'rookie' referees? However, we all have to start somewhere and an inexperienced referee was never going to get Liverpool/Man Utd this weekend.

Youve said it yourself, you have to start somewhere. And if you look at the league table, bar Wolves v Bournemouth, every other game involves either a team fighting for Europe, or a team fighting relegation (more so than Cardiff) at the time

As Danny Murphy (correctly - for a change!) said - Cardiff v Watford IS the most important game of the weekend ………..to Neil Warnock, but not to everyone else!

PLAYERS....Stéphane Henchoz – Over an alleged spitting incident in the League Cup semi-final between Sheffield United and Liverpool. Peter Swan – A player for Warnock at Argyle and Bury, he called Warnock "a *****". Swan refused to play when Warnock was appointed manager at Plymouth, and disrupted training sessions so as to engineer a move to Bury; when Warnock was later appointed as Bury manager, Swan again found a new club. Stephen Hunt – After a match against Reading, Warnock condemned the behaviour of the Royals' Stephen Hunt. He is said to have commented: "Hunt has proved on a few occasions that he's a clever type, and his challenge on Nick Montgomery earlier in the game wasn't clever either". He also said he looked like he shouldn't be holding a pint. Michael Johnson – In a 2005–06 Championship game with Derby County, Warnock reacted to a challenge by Johnson on Paul Ifill and was accused of playing a part in getting the opposition player sent off. This led to a face to face confrontation between the two and the Derby fans were incensed by Warnock's actions. Warnock asserted that the tackle was a bad one and that his reaction had made no difference to the outcome. Shefki Kuqi – During a 2007–08 Championship game with Wolves, Kuqi was spotted gesturing at Palace fans whilst being substituted. As a result, the Finnish international was transfer-listed and fined two weeks' wages, with Warnock stating "I will be transfer-listing him immediately. I don't accept things like that, so that is the end of the matter." However it was not, as Kuqi would return the following season after an injury crisis and would gain popularity with some Palace fans, despite again upsetting them by refusing to lower his wage demands at the end of his contract and subsequently leaving the club. El Hadji Diouf – As manager of QPR, Warnock criticised Diouf for his behaviour after a challenge between QPR's Jamie Mackie and Blackburn Rovers' Gaël Givet left Mackie with a double fracture in his leg: "For many years I have thought [Diouf] was the gutter type – I was going to call him a sewer rat but that might be insulting to sewer rats. I hope he goes abroad because I won't miss watching him. He is a nasty little person."[On 11 August 2012, Neil Warnock signed El-Hadji Diouf for Leeds United on a temporary contract. El Hadji Diouf was later given an 18-month contract at Leeds in December 2012. Jason Puncheon – Warnock criticised Puncheon over comments made on Talksport about how he wouldn't trust Puncheon to take a penalty. In response, Puncheon didn't take Warnock's comment very well and took it on Twitter with derogatory remarks about Warnock. As a result, Puncheon was charged by the FA following their investigation and fined for £15,000. After Warnock was appointed as the manager of Crystal Palace, Warnock revealed that he and Puncheon settled their differences following talks.

• MANAGERS - Houllier – See Stéphane Henchoz above. Also involved an argument about United's allegedly physical approach against Liverpool in the League Cup semi-final first leg, a match in which Liverpool had five men cautioned to United's one. Phil Thompson – See Stéphane Henchoz above. Stan Ternent – A longstanding feud. Most recently in 2001, when Ternent accused Warnock of sending his then assistant manager Kevin Blackwell to listen to his half-time team talk. Gary Megson – The two clashed in 2002 after the Battle of Bramall Lane, an infamous match which saw Warnock's Sheffield United end with six players on the pitch against Megson's West Bromwich Albion. Megson claimed Warnock had deliberately tried to force an abandonment of the match although he denied this and added that "anyone who knows Gary Megson knows he is the biggest moaner around". Referring to Megson and Stan Ternent, Warnock would later comment "I don't like either of them at all and I'm sure they don't like me". Mick Jones – A long-term assistant to Warnock, the pair did not speak for several years after Jones opted to remain at Plymouth Argyle as manager after Warnock was sacked, rather than follow him to Oldham Athletic.[54] The pair reunited as a managerial partnership again in 2005 at Sheffield United and achieved promotion in their first season back together, and were both at Queens Park Rangers. Joe Kinnear – Kinnear remarked that Warnock was a 'prat' after a 1–1 draw between Sheffield United and Kinnear's Nottingham Forest in 2004–05. Kevin Blackwell – Warnock told the press that he wished he'd had the money to spend on players that Blackwell had in the 2004–05 season.[57] Blackwell had previously been Warnock's assistant at Sheffield United for several years and indeed Warnock had helped Blackwell out for years, working with him at Scarborough, Huddersfield, Torquay, Plymouth et al. Another dispute occurred on 18 April 2006 in a match between Leeds United and Sheffield United at Bramall Lane when Warnock was sent from the touch-line after making a comment to Blackwell over a tackle by Gary Kelly on a Sheffield United player that Warnock deemed a bookable offence, and would have resulted in the Leeds player being sent off. Nigel Worthington – on 18 March 2006 Worthington apparently refused to shake hands with Warnock resulting in Warnock sticking two fingers up at him, an incident over which the FA charged Warnock with improper conduct. Wally Downes – On 20 January 2007, in a match against Reading, Keith Gillespie was sent off seconds after he came on to the pitch, for swiping Reading's Stephen Hunt in the face. After a protracted departure from the pitch, Warnock performed a stamping motion on the sideline directed towards referee Mark Halsey – supposedly referring to an earlier tackle made by Steve Sidwell which Warnock felt warranted a red card as well. Reading coach Wally Downes took exception to his actions, and pushed Warnock, causing a mass brawl on the sidelines. Both Warnock and Downes were sent to the stands as a result. Later Wally Downes admitted a misconduct charge to the FA, was fined £2,000 and given a one-match touchline ban. Gareth Southgate – Accused Southgate on Sky Sports News (shown 19 March 2007) of fielding a weaker starting XI against relegation-threatened Manchester City. Warnock claimed Southgate was "helping out" a friend, City manager Stuart Pearce.[ Mark Hughes – In April 2013, following his dismissal at Leeds United, Warnock said that he hoped Mark Hughes succeeded him in order to "destroy another team of mine", referring to Mark Hughes's ill-fated spell at QPR. Nuno Espírito Santo – In April 2018, whilst manager at Cardiff City, Warnock labelled Wolves manager Nuno Espírito Santo a "disgrace" and repeatedly swore at him as the Wolves manager attempted to shake his hand. Warnock had taken exception to Nuno running onto the pitch in celebration after Cardiff had missed two last-minute penalties. Warnock also stated that the incident showed that Nuno had a "lack of class".

REFEREES!! Jim Rushton – Warnock, whilst manager of Huddersfield Town, was known to dislike Rushton. Huddersfield played Lincoln City in the FA Cup and Warnock was disappointed with Lee Sinnottand someone being carded and wasn't happy when he found out that Rushton was to referee a league game between the same two sides and Warnock asked for him to be switched as it would give Lincoln "an unfair advantage". Before the game Rushton said to Warnock that he knew he had wanted him switched. During the game Warnock was sent to the stands for pushing the linesman. Rushton also refereed the Autoglass Trophy final in 1994 between Swansea City and Huddersfield. Huddersfield lost 3–1 on penalties. David Elleray – Warnock called him a "bald-headed bloke", whilst criticising his decision making ability. Graham Poll – Warnock said Poll was Arsenal's best midfielder after Sheffield United's controversial defeat to them in the 2003 FA Cup semi-final. In a Sky Sports documentary, Warnock agreed to be filmed in a personal documentary about his life on and off the pitch. During a match at home to Ipswich Town, Warnock was seen to swear at and verbally abuse one of the assistant referees (also telling the then-Ipswich manager that the assistant "had been his best player"), perhaps revealing why Warnock is seen as one of the more controversial football managers in England. Richard Beeby – Warnock heavily criticised Beeby in February 2008 after he played more stoppage time, than initially indicated, at the end of a match between Bristol City and Palace at Ashton Gate, which led to Bristol City equalising 25 seconds after Warnock thought the full-time whistle should have been blown, even claiming Beeby celebrated City's equaliser. Warnock was subsequently charged with "improper conduct" by the FA. In response, he "admitted the charge and requested a personal hearing". Warnock was subsequently fined £2,000. Rob Shoebridge – Warnock heavily criticised Shoebridge and his officials after another disputed incident at Ashton Gate, when Freddie Sears gave Palace what they thought was an early lead. Sears' effort, however, rebounded back off of the stanchion at the back of the goal and out of it, leading to Shoebridge and his assistants signalling a goal-kick. Palace were then beaten in the penultimate minute of the game, and Warnock claimed that his side had been "cheated" out of a result.[

• MANAGERS - Houllier – See Stéphane Henchoz above. Also involved an argument about United's allegedly physical approach against Liverpool in the League Cup semi-final first leg, a match in which Liverpool had five men cautioned to United's one. Phil Thompson – See Stéphane Henchoz above. Stan Ternent – A longstanding feud. Most recently in 2001, when Ternent accused Warnock of sending his then assistant manager Kevin Blackwell to listen to his half-time team talk. Gary Megson – The two clashed in 2002 after the Battle of Bramall Lane, an infamous match which saw Warnock's Sheffield United end with six players on the pitch against Megson's West Bromwich Albion. Megson claimed Warnock had deliberately tried to force an abandonment of the match although he denied this and added that "anyone who knows Gary Megson knows he is the biggest moaner around". Referring to Megson and Stan Ternent, Warnock would later comment "I don't like either of them at all and I'm sure they don't like me". Mick Jones – A long-term assistant to Warnock, the pair did not speak for several years after Jones opted to remain at Plymouth Argyle as manager after Warnock was sacked, rather than follow him to Oldham Athletic.[54] The pair reunited as a managerial partnership again in 2005 at Sheffield United and achieved promotion in their first season back together, and were both at Queens Park Rangers. Joe Kinnear – Kinnear remarked that Warnock was a 'prat' after a 1–1 draw between Sheffield United and Kinnear's Nottingham Forest in 2004–05. Kevin Blackwell – Warnock told the press that he wished he'd had the money to spend on players that Blackwell had in the 2004–05 season.[57] Blackwell had previously been Warnock's assistant at Sheffield United for several years and indeed Warnock had helped Blackwell out for years, working with him at Scarborough, Huddersfield, Torquay, Plymouth et al. Another dispute occurred on 18 April 2006 in a match between Leeds United and Sheffield United at Bramall Lane when Warnock was sent from the touch-line after making a comment to Blackwell over a tackle by Gary Kelly on a Sheffield United player that Warnock deemed a bookable offence, and would have resulted in the Leeds player being sent off. Nigel Worthington – on 18 March 2006 Worthington apparently refused to shake hands with Warnock resulting in Warnock sticking two fingers up at him, an incident over which the FA charged Warnock with improper conduct. Wally Downes – On 20 January 2007, in a match against Reading, Keith Gillespie was sent off seconds after he came on to the pitch, for swiping Reading's Stephen Hunt in the face. After a protracted departure from the pitch, Warnock performed a stamping motion on the sideline directed towards referee Mark Halsey – supposedly referring to an earlier tackle made by Steve Sidwell which Warnock felt warranted a red card as well. Reading coach Wally Downes took exception to his actions, and pushed Warnock, causing a mass brawl on the sidelines. Both Warnock and Downes were sent to the stands as a result. Later Wally Downes admitted a misconduct charge to the FA, was fined £2,000 and given a one-match touchline ban. Gareth Southgate – Accused Southgate on Sky Sports News (shown 19 March 2007) of fielding a weaker starting XI against relegation-threatened Manchester City. Warnock claimed Southgate was "helping out" a friend, City manager Stuart Pearce.[ Mark Hughes – In April 2013, following his dismissal at Leeds United, Warnock said that he hoped Mark Hughes succeeded him in order to "destroy another team of mine", referring to Mark Hughes's ill-fated spell at QPR. Nuno Espírito Santo – In April 2018, whilst manager at Cardiff City, Warnock labelled Wolves manager Nuno Espírito Santo a "disgrace" and repeatedly swore at him as the Wolves manager attempted to shake his hand. Warnock had taken exception to Nuno running onto the pitch in celebration after Cardiff had missed two last-minute penalties. Warnock also stated that the incident showed that Nuno had a "lack of class".

He WAS right about Mark Hughes though!:rolleyes:

Best one was for Gary Megson in his book.... ‘I wouldn’t p&&s on him if he was on fire!’ He has a point! 👌

Just glad the Wiki doesn't list all the daft things I've blurted out over time! (although some of this material could be harvested from RefChat) :oops:

To be fair in his time with us we were a hard to beat team, no superstars, all grafters. His overall record is very good and it would be interesting what Guardiola and the like would do with a virtual zero budget... very little I suspect!

To be fair in his time with us we were a hard to beat team, no superstars, all grafters. His overall record is very good and it would be interesting what Guardiola and the like would do with a virtual zero budget... very little I suspect!
On a par with Benitez, most likely. Hard to do much better
I just think Warnock is very smarmy. Full of smiles and pheromones, but resentful, snide comments every other word (if that's linguistically possible)

Back