A&H

Necklace and Law 4

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
So this is now the second time this incident has occurred(2 different games).
A sub player, comes on with a necklace, wasn't aware at first, but by time I realized, next break in play I tell to go out, take chain off, and then tell me when he wants to come in.
So still on FOP, take chain off hands it in, and rejoins plays just as blue team are breaking.
So stop game, caution the offending player, and restart with IDFK.

Was I correct?

The Referee Store
Hmmm. I would have said, only my opinion, that he had to take it off but not necessary leave the fop as it was a necklace and could be handed off pitch.

One question, was he a blue team player?

So this is now the second time this incident has occurred(2 different games).
A sub player, comes on with a necklace, wasn't aware at first, but by time I realized, next break in play I tell to go out, take chain off, and then tell me when he wants to come in.
So still on FOP, take chain off hands it in, and rejoins plays just as blue team are breaking.
So stop game, caution the offending player, and restart with IDFK.

Was I correct?
Yes you were. Since he entered the FOP without permission it is a caution since you have to stop play for this (and its not a foul against a player) it is a IDFK

It's one of those odd ones. You saw something you had earlier missed when he came onto the fop. You could have told him to take it off, you instead told him to leave the fop. I have no issue with that, it's in the LOTG - he then came back onto fop without permission and it's a caution.

At the same time, you could have avoided all of this with a quick word to take it off.

Last edited:
OK @SM I understand your point, lesson learned, at lest from me.
In hindsight, I did tell players no jewelry at all, and seeing the necklace I decided to apply the LOTG, to the letter. Perhaps I should have adopted a different approach.

I wouldn't worry about it too much mate, we have all been here.

Looking at it positively, your law knowledge was spot on :)

You should have waited till he was off the FOP before restarting this way you will not have the situation described .

If he then re enters without permission he can have a yellow .

my personal opinion, and I know its not 'the correct laws' but would there have been any harm in letting him remove the jewellery (especially if he hasn't moaned at all for it and maybe said sorry for having it on?) and then come back on all without restarting play? would have taken a max 30 seconds/1 minute

just my opiion

Yeah could have been easier, like I said in hindsight I could have handled differently.

Back