A&H

Nani/Ronaldo

Darren Amor

Level 4 Referee
Are this pair bigger than the laws so they can wear visible white socks when their team mates have all understood that they are in red.

The Referee Store
Makes it so hard for us to manage when they're doing this at the top. If I see it (can't imagine to manly grassroots clubs will allow there players to cut the socks) I'll be telling him to change or wrap it with the same coloured tape. Q first argument of the season! ;)

Whilst not attempting to light the blue touch paper... Technically there is nothing contrary to law here.

Law 4 explicitly states that "tape or other material externally applied to the sock it must be the same colour" and the white bits are not applied externally, they are white under socks that are visible as the main sock has been cut to expose them.

I'm not saying that it isn't a problem nor that it isn't contrary to the spirit of the law and the reason the change was made a few seasons back but sadly the way the LOTG is currently worded means that nothing can be done about it - hence why it is occurring at the World Cup.

Last edited:
Ronaldo wears Trusox (for those who don't know what they are: https://www.trusox.com ) and i assume that Nani does too. But they are available in red, and many other colours, so at this point it shows a stubbornness that they are choosing themselves to wear the white ones, so why can't referees tell them to remove the trusox and they have to wear a spare set of socks with out the trusox technology? (Portugal must carry loads of spares with them)

Ronaldo wears Trusox (for those who don't know what they are: https://www.trusox.com ) and i assume that Nani does too. But they are available in red, and many other colours, so at this point it shows a stubbornness that they are choosing themselves to wear the white ones, so why can't referees tell them to remove the trusox and they have to wear a spare set of socks with out the trusox technology? (Portugal must carry loads of spares with them)

Because that's not correct according to the current wording of the LOTG as suggested by ASM. Perhaps it will be re-worded in the next edition.

Yeah, it should be because the numbers of players doing this is increasing.

Back