A&H

My toughest game yet

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I’ve been appointed a game on an U18s league where I do the line. It’s a local derby and the games tend to be very fiery with usually 4+ cards in most games. They’re in front of a paying crowd and the pressure is really high. We were at King’s Lynn a few weeks ago and walking through the tunnel was fairly nerve wracking as a few of the crowd were hurling abuse at the ref at half time. I’m really surprised I’ve been given one of these as it tends to be Level 5s in the middle (I’m 7) and I’ve only done up to U16. Any advice? Lots of the players will be my age which I’m not used to, so advice on how to control them and get a good grip on the games which tend to be very competitive

The Referee Store
What level are your AR's?

In either case don't change the way you ref. And nerves are good before and at the start of the game.

What level are your AR's?

In either case don't change the way you ref. And nerves are good before and at the start of the game.
One of them is someone I’m out with almost every week and he’s a 5, just down from 4 and going for promotion back to 4. Not sure about the other assistant

Reactions: one
Your L5 AR should be of good help to you. Hopefully the other one will be decent too. Enjoy.

I’ve been appointed a game on an U18s league where I do the line. It’s a local derby and the games tend to be very fiery with usually 4+ cards in most games. They’re in front of a paying crowd and the pressure is really high. We were at King’s Lynn a few weeks ago and walking through the tunnel was fairly nerve wracking as a few of the crowd were hurling abuse at the ref at half time. I’m really surprised I’ve been given one of these as it tends to be Level 5s in the middle (I’m 7) and I’ve only done up to U16. Any advice? Lots of the players will be my age which I’m not used to, so advice on how to control them and get a good grip on the games which tend to be very competitive
Are you going for promotion? If so, perhaps it eliminates from that

Are you going for promotion? If so, perhaps it eliminates from that
I am not. I’m thinking about it next year. I wonder if it’s to do with the recent games I had. I got a semi-final which went really well and then I had a game on Sunday where I was praised in our county’s referees’ Facebook group by a spectator. I’m very nervous haha!

I am not. I’m thinking about it next year. I wonder if it’s to do with the recent games I had. I got a semi-final which went really well and then I had a game on Sunday where I was praised in our county’s referees’ Facebook group by a spectator. I’m very nervous haha!
Although the OP refers to 'toughest game yet', you can't know that in advance. In my limited experience, the difficult games don't necessarily conform with our expectations. We probably all have a tendency to 'big up' certain games in our minds, but they're just another game when viewed sensibly

Although the OP refers to 'toughest game yet', you can't know that in advance. In my limited experience, the difficult games don't necessarily conform with our expectations. We probably all have a tendency to 'big up' certain games in our minds, but they're just another game when viewed sensibly
This is true, it’s just because it’s the oldest age and also all of my middles have been on parks with just a few parents but this is bigger. Hopefully won’t be as daunting as I think and I’ll just settle into it like any other game

This is true, it’s just because it’s the oldest age and also all of my middles have been on parks with just a few parents but this is bigger. Hopefully won’t be as daunting as I think and I’ll just settle into it like any other game
At your age, I can't deny that refereeing your peers must add to the mental challenge and I recall that you fret a bit about your height. I don't think size counts for much in this game, it's overall communication which is King. Turn up, look like someone who knows what they're doing, engage with players and staff with genuine interest and referee the game just like any other, dealing with verbals effectively from the outset.
When i played, I needed to be really nervous to play my best games. Apprehension can be a good thing, especially when it leads to a good outcome; because the brain can learn to associate the two

At your age, I can't deny that refereeing your peers must add to the mental challenge and I recall that you fret a bit about your height. I don't think size counts for much in this game, it's overall communication which is King. Turn up, look like someone who knows what they're doing, engage with players and staff with genuine interest and referee the game just like any other, dealing with verbals effectively from the outset.
When i played, I needed to be really nervous to play my best games. Apprehension can be a good thing, especially when it leads to a good outcome; because the brain can learn to associate the two
Yeah, I’m usually smaller than most players for these games but I’m sure that won’t have an impact. It’ll definitely be a challenge but probably a good way to transition into adults football

If you are reffing in the league I think you are I also ref in it and there is still a big difference between this league and OA. As long as you are confident with your decisions your age will not matter ref it as you would any other game and you will be fine. To be fair on the whole it is a very well behaved league.

If you are reffing in the league I think you are I also ref in it and there is still a big difference between this league and OA. As long as you are confident with your decisions your age will not matter ref it as you would any other game and you will be fine. To be fair on the whole it is a very well behaved league.
The games I’ve recently been on have been really high tempered. The last two have both been local derbies. Am I allowed to say the league on here?

A very simple piece of advice il offer.

Be confident and do it with a smile on your face, the body language you have goes a long way to what the players think.

Back