A&H

My question to you...

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Did you manage to get a game in this weekend?

The Referee Store
No game today as had work. Already had one game cancelled for tomorrow. I expect the other to be cancelled in the morning :-(

Drove to my game. Walked out on the pitch. Turned round as I got near centre circle. Spoke to Match Secretary. Went home.
£11 for the privilege of calling it off!

got my game in, on line for west yorkshire prem, 1st supply league line.:D

20 odd mins gone reds through into a crowded penalty area gets taken down by keeper, ball falls to another red around 6-8 yards from goal who shoots. imo there is a few players on the line and i felt one of them will get to the ball therefore no advantage so raise my flag for the penalty. Cue mass uproar from the defending team (green) and penalty is given. keeper is dismissed for dogso and penalty is missed.
game goes on 40 mins gone greens now 1-0 up and green defender carelessly challenges red in box, not winning ball. ref blows for penalty and it is scored.
i was told by the assessor i put my flag up too quickly but just wondered if it would have been possible to go back if the reds had that shot cleared off the line and no advantage (which was what happened but i had put my flag up in between the advantage red shooting and the green defender clearing it off the line)

I'm not arguing with the assessors decision that my flag went up too quickly because it seemed to be that what caused the problem, greens knew it was a penalty and so did the referee but it was the fact they felt it was out of my credibility area. it happened near the penalty spot but on my side.

What were refs pre-match instructions?
Was there a need for you to come in?
Whenever your giving any decision on the line, wait, wait and then wait again. THEN come in and give it.

Thats the thing one of the refs pre match was "your area of credibility is a semi circle in front of you" therefore i think the decision was just outside of that.
on the other hand there was the instruction that if you see something and you think there is a possibility i haven't seen it and you are 100% then come in with a flag.
at the time i thought the referee hadn't seen it. i had taken 5-6 breaths and there was no play on/ advantage signal given, he didn't appear to be moving his whistle towards his mouth. in his defence though he was practically on top of it but at the time for some reason i thought he hadn't seen it.
the thing is i was told take 5 breaths before deciding to flag or not, what i think i did instead of 5 slow breaths was 5 v.fast breaths which didn't give the ref enough time.

Generally, referee's who don't know, will look at the assistant for help. If they don't, there is a reason for it.

Take the experience on board and use it in future!

I've been an assistant referee for the best part of 30 years now, and it takes a lot of games to get the "feel" of when to flag for game-changing decisions or not.
From what you've described above, I would have let the referee referee it because he was a lot nearer. The players are expecting him to referee it as well because it is a foul challenge and not something that a lino can usually give help for eg a blindside handball/shirtpull/push etc.

Don't worry, next time something happens in the box you'll remember this incident and use it to debate whether or not to get involved, all in about 0.4seconds! Good luck!:)

Back