A&H

My first three games as a level 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I like the 'young refs are nearly always arrogant' argument. I don't think that is is fair labelling 95% of us into this category...

In my CFA..........that's what i was referring to......and i didn't say 95% of young refs were arrogant, i said that there were some very good young refs about, but that they totalled only about 5% of the ones i have encountered in my county. Entirely different.

If you want a more detailed breakdown........i would say that 5% are good or very good, 30% are adequate and 65% range between mediocre and poor. Not entirely their fault as when they qualify at 14 they are pretty much left to their own devices unless they choose to seek out more knowledge via their local RA etc.......the county only really takes an interest when they apply for promotion.......so is it any wonder that there are so many also ran referees between 14-16 when they get little guidance or support?

The Referee Store
So is your issue with the young refs or the whole system? Are you saying that the younger refs who aren't getting any support feel too big for lower division games? We have quite a high recruitment rate of young refs in this county and I'd say that most of them are keen to improve and challenge themselves based on what I see of them at the pre season tournaments and through the season as a mentor. Obviously if you've seen something contrary in your county I can't really argue that but i think there may be a bigger picture

The reality is that it is only a small fraction of young referees that do tournaments etc to improve themselves. Most do it for the money! Same reason they turn up (sometimes) on a Saturday morning to ref the kids.

The young referees who have the self inflated egos that feel lower division games are beneath them are generally the ones on the "fast track" promotion bandwagon.......or in "development" groups. But this is what happens when you over promote 18 yr olds and blow smoke up their backsides convincing them that they are the next big thing....all done in order to meet targets and pander to the FA's obsession with age over substance.

And yes, you still get referees of 30+ getting promoted but their path is often a lot harder than their younger colleagues.

If you haven't seen it, fair enough, but it is very obvious in my CFA. Maybe that is the exception to the rule......but not from what i hear from colleagues around the country!

The whole promotion system is open to abuse, and often is in various ways, there needs to be a complete overhaul in how things are done. There also needs to be an age cap/time served put on certain levels to allow referees to consolidate their experience before being pushed upwards again. And far more support and quality checking of newly qualified referees. And a yearly LOTG exam.......to ensure that all referees are current in their knowledge.

isn't that what we do on hear debate it we all have our own point of view on matters

guys lets draw a line under this I only put on here my first 3 games and now were off at a tangent

ye mate looking forward to then 2 supply 1 contrib just hope no assessor so I can savour the moment :cool:

I've got my first contrib game Saturday then going on holiday for a week on Monday. First supply league game is on the Tuesday night after I get back (@ 23:45 the night before!) so I'll have to make sure I get plenty of sleep on the plane :p

second break this year going to see wife family in Belfast, thought about putting in temp address on moas
thought better of it
having a fiery red head northern irish lady for my wife (32 yrs)

Yeah this is true, heaven forbid that we are able to use something that is not made available for everyone (sarcasm...)

The main reason that the promotion pathway is focused on young people @Padfoot is because there will be greater rewards for the time, effort and money put into them. For example, if an 18 year old starts on the program and it takes 12 years to get he/she to the BPL, he is 30 and then has about 20-25 years in the Premier league. If the referee starting on the program is 30, +12, they are now 42 and only have about 10-15 years on the Premier league at most.

The 18 year old may not be the best referee but with the time and money invested in him, he might get to the top.

Sorry to bore you with my fancy maths :p:rolleyes:

The main reason that the promotion pathway is focused on young people @Padfoot is because there will be greater rewards for the time, effort and money put into them. For example, if an 18 year old starts on the program and it takes 12 years to get he/she to the BPL, he is 30 and then has about 20-25 years in the Premier league. If the referee starting on the program is 30, +12, they are now 42 and only have about 10-15 years on the Premier league at most.

The 18 year old may not be the best referee but with the time and money invested in him, he might get to the top.

Sorry to bore you with my fancy maths :p:rolleyes:

So the FA discriminate against perfectly capable referees based on age?

Hmmmm..seems fair! And legal?

If you meet the criteria for promotion (particularly 5-4+) you will get promoted. End of. I thought we'd finished this argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back