A&H

My first (and currently only) red card incident.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Lets see if I can get to answering as much as I can.

Living and learning ... I like that.
Thank you. All I wanted to do is learn from this experience.

@Raider025 If this " " " " incident " " " " happen again :

1/ Don't consider it as time wasting (from the losing team on a final ?!) unless it had actually delayed the start of the game, here there's been a goal, so the start isn't immediate
2/ If the GK really seems to be "inured" of he's simulating, (but you actually can't guess so just keep you YC in your pocket), go and see him "Hey what's wrong ?" "blablabla" "Oh I didn't see anything in this challenge, can only give what I see, hope you understand, let's get on with the game mate"

Here you go
Thanks, next time this happens, I'll try that out.

Don't you give cautions for 'embellishment' in the US? I'm sure I've seen it done in the MLS before now?
Last year was only my 2nd season as a referee, so I was a little underknowledged as to that particular subject. I have been learning about as much as I could on refereeing in the US offseason, but looking back at it, this was a borderline embellishment call (wish I knew that last year when I called it).

Of course you can, though I'd be a bit slower too.

I suspect the OP just isn't describing the situation appropriately.

Personally I don't see how that comment is OFFINABUS either. If you have to have zero tolerance on swearing, fair enough. But if you're not in that area, then just follow the LOTG. Differentiate between swearing while making a comment and actually being abusive. The LOTG stopped stating 'foul language' is a red card offence a long time ago.

And seriously? Get over your anti-canadian bias. Stating you have less tolerance towards them when you're referring to a match with another team is effectively stating that you were biased that match.

You often find that teams in a different area than you're used to expect different tolerance levels from referees or play the game differently. As the referee it's your responsibility to administer the game appropriately. Deciding that all Canadian team need harsh treatment because one team once gave you a bit of dissent is just absurd - both the principle and the logic behind it.
I appologize if I sounded arrogant or biased in anyway. My state of mind that day was slightly annoyed at the arrogance of the teams I officiated. Looking back at it, probably could've been less harsh on the canadian team, but it's said and done now. I simply wish to learn.

The Referee Store
Of course you can, though I'd be a bit slower too.

I suspect the OP just isn't describing the situation appropriately.

Personally I don't see how that comment is OFFINABUS either. If you have to have zero tolerance on swearing, fair enough. But if you're not in that area, then just follow the LOTG. Differentiate between swearing while making a comment and actually being abusive. The LOTG stopped stating 'foul language' is a red card offence a long time ago.

And seriously? Get over your anti-canadian bias. Stating you have less tolerance towards them when you're referring to a match with another team is effectively stating that you were biased that match.

You often find that teams in a different area than you're used to expect different tolerance levels from referees or play the game differently. As the referee it's your responsibility to administer the game appropriately. Deciding that all Canadian team need harsh treatment because one team once gave you a bit of dissent is just absurd - both the principle and the logic behind it.

Yes, I know - that's why I put 'wouldn't' in brackets, because although I know that you can in the LOTG, shouts from his own team will normally be enough to get him up. If not, he probably actually is injured. Also, OP mentioned that he was down for just a few seconds more and got up immediately after, suggesting he didn't delay the restart significantly anyway.

Bit harsh to question whether or not the comment is OFFINABUS - it's an entirely different culture over that side of the pond, and from what I'm aware they're more hot on respect, particularly with regard to youth matches. As such, I would imagine that most if not all US assessors would have agreed that this incident merited a red card. Even if not, there is still a case for a red.

Yes, I know - that's why I put 'wouldn't' in brackets, because although I know that you can in the LOTG, shouts from his own team will normally be enough to get him up. If not, he probably actually is injured. Also, OP mentioned that he was down for just a few seconds more and got up immediately after, suggesting he didn't delay the restart significantly anyway.

Bit harsh to question whether or not the comment is OFFINABUS - it's an entirely different culture over that side of the pond, and from what I'm aware they're more hot on respect, particularly with regard to youth matches. As such, I would imagine that most if not all US assessors would have agreed that this incident merited a red card. Even if not, there is still a case for a red.

In the US the referee organization has put out a Zero Tolerance policy, regarding everyone around the pitch save the referees. We also have directives to red card any player who swears in a youth match, particularly if it's directed towards referees.

That's why I prefaced it by saying 'if you're in an area that's told any fould language must be a red, then so be it, but if you're not then you can't bring that same ruling with you'. That's pretty much the only way 'I don't give a s***' could possibly be considered OFFINABUS - if referees are instructed that all foul language is a red card, because that's all it is here.

The rest of the comment is obviously only applicable if there's no zero tolerance approach. If there is that, then obviously it was the right decision. Which is why I covered both bases.

Even down under we've had a few areas try zero tolerance on foul language. Made it interesting when there was an interstate tournament in that region........

Back