A&H

Muscle Cramp

Nikki

Level 7 Referee
Not sure if this is posted in the right place but not sure where else it should go.

In my last couple of games half way through my calf muscles cramp. Is there anything you guys could recommend to stop that happening? Especially as I will be refereeing/running the line for 2 consecutive games on Sunday!!!

Cheers :)

The Referee Store
I don't know how much of a warm up you do before games, but it's a good idea to maybe do a few laps of the pitch and stretch each of the muscle groups you'll be using during the game. Also something that I have realised is that if you don't stretch at half-time, then your legs start to "cool down", so I'd do a few of those ones where you push against a wall:
http://www.topendsports.com/medicine/images/calf-soleus-stretch.gif
Also is a good idea to stretch off after the game to stop a build up of lactic acid in your muscles. Anyway, hope this helps!

Make sure you are fully hydrated would be my top tip to avoid cramps, water is best.

As the other lads have said, make sure you keep hydrated and stretch whenever you get a chance. If the cramps are occurring late in the match, it would be beneficial to stretch at half time and ensure that you drink as much water as possible. In the long-term, work on strengthening the small muscles in your legs (ligaments and small muscles) to give more stabilization to your legs and movements -- this is particularly important -- and then focus on strengthening your major muscles (the calves themselves). This should lead to doing away with a lot of pain. Also: don't forget to cool down at the end of the match with a long, slow run and 20-30 minutes of stretching.

I read somewhere that salt can help with cramps - so add a bit extra to your dinner Thurs, Frid, Sat. Also, a couple of guys I know add a bit of salt to fruit juice to drink on match days.

Otherwise, keep well hydrated and stretch them out. My calves often tighten up during games, and threaten cramp, when that happens and I am walking, I stretch my stride a bit and 'stretch' as I go.

As others have said, stretches an fluids. Also make sure to fuel up immediately pre game and at half time if possible with quick release energy from Jaffa cakes, jelly babies or other sugar based sweets like haribo or the more healthy banana!

Back