A&H

Moving to England- How and Where to start refereeing?

rmcmref

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to England from the United States in the next couple months and at the latest in the new year, and was wondering how I would go about becoming a referee in England? I have been a ref for 9 1/2 years and am currently a Grade 7, one assessment from a grade 6 in the US. I will most likely be moving to the North East. If anyone could provide me with some advice or information, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to England from the United States in the next couple months and at the latest in the new year, and was wondering how I would go about becoming a referee in England? I have been a ref for 9 1/2 years and am currently a Grade 7, one assessment from a grade 6 in the US. I will most likely be moving to the North East. If anyone could provide me with some advice or information, it would be much appreciated.
im a ref from the north east mate try this website might be in the right area for you

http://www.northumberlandfa.com/referees/development-and-courses/the-fa-referees-course

Hi

With your level of experience, you should not have to retake the referees' exam in the UK. In England, our grading runs 1-7 (1 being Football League level) so you level 7 woudl equate to our level 6.

This would mean that you would be doing local league OA football, on your own (No NAR's).

Where you move to in the North East decide which County FA you have to affiliate with. England works strictly on old county boundries and you would need to register with them. Northumberland's RDO is

Lindsey Robinson
Referee Development Officer
0191 2700 700 (option 2 - option 2)
referee@northumberlandfa.com

I would suggest you contact her to see what you need to do, as you will need international clearance via the FA and USFA.

A series of crocodile shoes might need to be watched! Newcatle is one of my fav cities and is so friendly. A great city with fantastic countryside all around it. You will have a ball.

Hi

With your level of experience, you should not have to retake the referees' exam in the UK. In England, our grading runs 1-7 (1 being Football League level) so you level 7 woudl equate to our level 6.

This would mean that you would be doing local league OA football, on your own (No NAR's).

Where you move to in the North East decide which County FA you have to affiliate with. England works strictly on old county boundries and you would need to register with them. Northumberland's RDO is

Lindsey Robinson
Referee Development Officer
0191 2700 700 (option 2 - option 2)
referee@northumberlandfa.com

I would suggest you contact her to see what you need to do, as you will need international clearance via the FA and USFA.
Lindsey has left her position as RDO for Northumberland it is now Andrew Smith i dont know his details but they should be on County website

Thanks all for the information, I found Andrew Smith's email. I was also wondering how often does the weather affect matches being played?

Thanks all for the information, I found Andrew Smith's email. I was also wondering how often does the weather affect matches being played?
last season was the worst only 1 game i got to ref between november and march then i was booked by teams til june, just to catch up on games missed last season, was the worst in years . Yeah you will have games cancelled thats a given during the winter, but dont reject games because its cold or forecast to snow or hail on that day because if you dont and you turn up to these games in harsh weather it will get you noticed as a determined ref by teams.

I used to live in the North East myself for 4 years so when I came to Sheffield I had a slight Geordie lilt but nothing like Jimmy Nail, Gazza etc!!

In all the regional accents, its broad Northern Irish spoke at speed that I struggle with...

Any thing north of the Watford gap is like a foreign language! The Liverpool accent is ace, but I lived in that area for 10 years so heard it all the time. The funny thing was they all thought I was a ****ney when I had the perfect Essex accent. I had a lot of games called off last year more than any other and at the end of the season could of reffed every day of the week and was deluged in emails and texts from managers.

Any thing north of the Watford gap is like a foreign language! The Liverpool accent is ace, but I lived in that area for 10 years so heard it all the time. The funny thing was they all thought I was a ****ney when I had the perfect Essex accent. I had a lot of games called off last year more than any other and at the end of the season could of reffed every day of the week and was deluged in emails and texts from managers.
Come ed lad!!! We've a couple of scallies in our office and one in particular is particularly gnawing when the full scouse accent comes out!!!

Back