A&H

Moving ball

BES

a couple people of late have told me you can take a goal kick from a moving ball.

One was a player so ignored him the second , in a separate conversation was a ref so maybe there is some truth in it??

Can anyone confirm?

Should I be ashamed to ask this!

The Referee Store
In a nutshell, the law doesn't implicitly state it but through the definition of duties (assistant referee and additional assistant referee) implies it should be. Plus, I believe FIFA have stated it should be stationary when questioned on the matter.

@BES your answer is yes, but no.

You can, but don't (or if it is JUST rolling and someone complains, tell them to get over it. They should have other more important things to worry about!)

That's incredibly helpful Alex, cheers mate :)
Strictly speaking, this is true*.

We've covered it here 2-3 times previously, and I wrote up a long summary of the history, the whys, etc here:
http://fifalotg.blogspot.ca/2014/04/soccer-1314-law-16-goal-kick-stationary.html

Short answer is: No you can't. It doesn't state it explicitly in the Laws, but both suggests it (with other wording) and has the history of such.

* For a pedantic definition
thanks @AlexF i'd previously been happy to let a moving goal kick stand... ive changed my mind now!

If the keeper shanks it and it goes out for a throw in do you still retake it?

If the keeper shanks it and it goes out for a throw in do you still retake it?
Yup.

Had a similar one earlier this season. Attacking team tried to take a quick FK with a slightly moving ball ..made a complete mess of it presenting the defending team with a promising break away attack. Stopped the game for a retake and (despite clear explanation) ended up with a C2 for one of the defending team who wouldn't see that I had no choice

Back