A&H

Morocco vs Spain

^^^^ am not slating officials for that. not because even there, you cant say its out of play but because, thats as impossible to tell as it would be if it was inbetween the goals, and those ones are so tight that of course we use GLT to bail us out....

the actual taking of the corner is shambolic, and am amazed Morocco did not walk off the pitch, had it been Portugal or Iran yesterday in the game I watched, they would still be there now harrassing the officials. I think the incidents in the other game have kind of over shadowed this one.

The Referee Store
Moreover, there is no corner in the first place, because Morino's cross was executed out of the pitch. I really don't see the use of this VAR, it's incomplete and awfully biased.
Couple of things on this
1. Angles are everything and cannot tell if the ball was out from this angle (or off the video which I freeze framed when this post first appeared)
2. A. It does matter which side a corner is taken from. Players definitely have a preference (ease of an in-swinger or out-swinger). Wind, sun, etc can also play a role
B. Once this referee has clearly indicated bbn one side players have reacted and are beginning to set up or watch for a corner from that side. Allowing it to be quickly taken from the "blind side" provides an advantage

Now having said that, I dont see players shifting to the side indicated, etc. It doesn't appear to have had a huge impact but it is a KMI and is incorrect in my opinion

Couple of things on this
1. Angles are everything and cannot tell if the ball was out from this angle (or off the video which I freeze framed when this post first appeared)
2. A. It does matter which side a corner is taken from. Players definitely have a preference (ease of an in-swinger or out-swinger). Wind, sun, etc can also play a role
B. Once this referee has clearly indicated bbn one side players have reacted and are beginning to set up or watch for a corner from that side. Allowing it to be quickly taken from the "blind side" provides an advantage

Now having said that, I dont see players shifting to the side indicated, etc. It doesn't appear to have had a huge impact but it is a KMI and is incorrect in my opinion

Huge impact! Rather than a ceremonial cross into box with defenders ready, we had a quick restart of play and next to no defenders tuned in

Huge impact! Rather than a ceremonial cross into box with defenders ready, we had a quick restart of play and next to no defenders tuned in
Dont get me wrong. This is wrong and should not have happened especially at this level. It IS a key match incident and lead to a goal. If one player was affected that is too many. My only point being that there weren't a huge number of defenders setting up for a kick from the other side. Tough to tell if any of then were at the time of the kick based on the video BUT i would wager at least mentally some were expecting the other side. Regardless the CR has created confusion and impacted the game.

Just saw this discussion. We may not like it (I don't) but the part of the VAR protocol I quoted in another thread seems to indicate that an incorrectly taken corner is not a reversible error.
In addition, an incorrectly taken restart (e.g. ball moving at a free kick, foul throw-in etc.) which ultimately leads to a goal or penalty incident cannot be reviewed as this is not a ‘match-changing’ decision and it should be detected by the match officials.

So, Ronaldo can get a meaningless yellow using VAR yet Spain can win an entire group based on a factually incorrect act by a referee

Seems pointless using it at all

The letter is about the mistakes made by the referees in Portugal and Spain matches .. and they ar looking for a reasonable explanation from FIFA regarding the alleged unfair refereeing against Morocco’s Atlas Lions during their participation in the WC ! and they have detailed every decision they feel referees got wrong.

First let me say that I am NOWHERE near the referee any involved in these games are (5th year and about 400 games at U13-U20, upgraded once) and likely never will be. It is always easy to criticize based upon replays, slow-motion, different angles, etc. ALL fouls are based upon THE OPINION OF THE REFEREE. All players and spectators know that what one referee deems a foul this week may be slightly different than what is called the next week. Some games are called tighter than others. Any referee who has been at it a while can tell you that ANGLES and OPINION are everything. If EVERYTHING that technically constituted a foul were to be called, we would have a stoppage every 20 seconds. I did not watch this game in real time and I love an upset/Cinderalla story. That being said, it appeared to me that in these videos Morocco looked to be looking for a PK anyway they could get one. The amount of rolling, protesting, etc can make a referee skeptical when something does actually happen. They didn’t help themselves. The job of the CR is a difficult on identifying fouls (and which are acting), determining which are trifling, dubious, when you should wait and see, when you should give advantage, severity of fouls, being in right position to see potential fouls, etc. Refereeing is a skill/art and it really takes time/practice. Rest assured no matter how good you are, there will ALWAYS be people emotionally invested in the game who feel differently about many of your calls. Here are my thoughts not intended to be critical of CR who I agree with on many of these.

Portugal v Morocco

• #5 from Morocco holding then pushing the attacking player the whole way. Pushed the jumping player into the other defender. Definitely not a foul by the attacking player. Potentially a PK had they not scored. (agree)
  • Tougher one. I’m pretty good with a no-call here. Moroccan attacker stops his movement and jumps back toward the ball in the air. Defender is jumping forward. Neither are really going straight up in their position. Defender somewhat into back of shoulder of Moroccan but jumping would be the only foul that I would consider. This is a 50/50 ball. Both are jumping toward each other with the defender carrying more momentum as the attacker is jumping backward against the momentum of his run (close one but I agree. I wouldn’t give a PK here either)
  • The law is not “any handball” but rather “deliberate” taking into account body position (making yourself bigger), distance, speed, ability to reach, movement of ball to hand or hand to ball, as some factors to consider when making the determination of deliberate. I would agree with the CR that the defender did not appear to “deliberately” intend to play the ball off of his leg and block his own clearance with his arm (resulting in the ball going straight back into a very dangerous area where a Moroccan player whiffed on his attempted shot (agree)
Spain V Morocco

• Pique two footed challenge. Two footed challenge. Pretty dangerous. Studs up on the follow through. I’d likely go minimum of yellow. Pretty orange here in my opinion. Now Pique does get to the ball first but gets him on the follow through. The question is where his tackle was careless, reckless or with excessive force. Factors I see are high speed, pretty aggressive, left his feet at a decent distance and came in with both feet. I’d lean YC. I don’t recall what the result was in the game… (not sure what happened in game)
  • Definitely a foul. Kick through the back of his leg. It doesn’t appear to be stopping a promising attack (SPA) or tactical in nature. Doesn’t look that severe. Based upon the foul itself, I see it as more of a common foul. I can’t say if the referee booked him for persistent infringement though based upon a pattern of fouls (undecided. Need more info)
  • Here is the thing… It looks to be a handball based upon the slow motion view from a 90 degree different angle from what the CR had BUT…. I can understand how it could have not been seen. I defer to One on the VAR protocol but believe this is not reviewable. (possibly missed. Tough one)
  • Eh…. Not going to get called at this level of play. (Probably trifling).
  • The quick corner from the side opposite than what CR indicated….. think we have covered that at length. I feel this should have been whistled and taken from the correct side. 3-4 Moroccan players had their backs to the side it was taken from (although several appear to be doing so just to argue)

Side note…. Welcome to the forum but do you referee or are you a fan looking for referee feedback? Either is fine with me. Welcome J

Last edited:
Starting the vid by highlighting an exceptionally good goal by CR7 is not a good place to try and influence anything!

The only thing is the whole clip which is factually wrong and an error in law is the corner kick,the rest stinks of desperation and weakens any intended message

Reactions: one
The only thing is the whole clip which is factually wrong and an error in law is the corner kick,the rest stinks of desperation and weakens any intended message

I was going to say more or less the same thing. For me, the way that letter is written doesn't represent a very productive approach. If a team is going to complain about the one most notable decision that it thinks has cost it, going through multiple games and listing virtually every decision that they think has gone against them is only ever going to be counter-productive. Listing all the penalties a team thinks it should have had, all the yellow cards its opponents didn't get and claiming a Moroccan player got a yellow card he didn't deserve just makes it sound like sour grapes. Stick to the one main point - adding all the other things in just dilutes the argument.

Agree with the above and in addition the approach (over two games and multiple incidents) indirectly makes allegations of a systemic deliberate negative bias towards a team by the organisation. Even if it were true (which is not) , FIFA would not pay any attention to it.

Much better chance of getting it looked at on the one main incident and as a "referee error", rather than a pack of errors and in a "you guys are against us" way.

Any team, from any league, from the ones who win the league, to the ones who get relegated, can point to calls which a ref saw different on the day

All of these are simply part of the game

The scary and serious one is the error in law one. That is one that should not have happened.

Back