A&H

ScotRef

RefChat Addict
Hi I’m new to the site.

I have been refereeing for a few years now and was looking to purchase a Vakeen whistle but they are impossible to find any.
Can anyone help out with finding a genuine supplier

The Referee Store
Do you want a genuine one or happy with a knock off?
I bought one from amazon for 6 pound and the sound is great. Absolutely no compromise at all

Hi I’m new to the site.

I have been refereeing for a few years now and was looking to purchase a Vakeen whistle but they are impossible to find any.
Can anyone help out with finding a genuine supplier
I can get you one. Wont be cheap though. 60 quid ish! Not checked the prices recently though

Is the one from Newitts specifically for football? I presume it is although I had read someone say certain ones weren't due to a manufacturer code or something.

Here is a full list of molten whistles including Valkeen. https://www.molten.co.jp/sports/en/equipment/whistle/index.html

if you want the finger grip with your purchase (comes in three sizes) make sure the one you buy has the code RA0030-KS. RA0030-K is cheaper but does not have the finger grip.

HAHA looking at the page just learnt the best way to clean my whistles. Dad can I have one of your denture cleaning tablets :)

Wow. Why are these so expensive? @ScotRef - are they worth the additional money?

For whom and doing what games? I have a handful of whistles that I use and like that cost a lot less than the Valkeen. Unless you are in a stadium with lots of fan, it seems pretty over the top to me. (My go to whistles are the Fox 40 mini and the Molton dolfin (which I think was a precursor to the Valkeen). I use other ones at time to amuse myself or if I’m on side-by-side fields, in which case I use one with a more different tone (the Fox Pearl is one of them).

I got mine from Newitts too, brilliant bit of kit.

You'll always get people on here who say 'surely a whistle is a whistle' etc - they will say the same with boots, shirt, flags, watches, anything - but I think this is one of the best purchases I have made. Tone is perfect, deafening if needed (great for mass cons!). I have only had positive comments from observers about my technique.

Whilst being AR a week or so ago, the ref had a Fox 40 classic, and it was painful to listen to, very inconsistent. If you can afford it, get one - if not, don't!

Whilst being AR a week or so ago, the ref had a Fox 40 classic, and it was painful to listen to, very inconsistent. If you can afford it, get one - if not, don't!
I wouldn't blame the poor whistle. Some great referees with fantastic whistle tone use fox 40. But I agree it's much easier to get the best tone using a valkeen. I have two of them.

In contrast to historic comments of mine on this subject, I'm now inclined to say that the Valkeen is ludicrously expensive considering its moulded plastic overall. I was taken by the finger-grip, which in hindsight i misplaced value on the whistle itself (the finger-grip can be obtained elsewhere)
According to Economics, marginal utility (the benefit of changing whistle in this case) does not come close to the marginal cost (between a Valkeen and other perfectly acceptable whistles), therefore, it's a bad buy (unless you're expecting thousands of spectators); and I keep losing mine which make it an especially bad personal option!

In contrast to historic comments of mine on this subject, I'm now inclined to say that the Valkeen is ludicrously expensive considering its moulded plastic overall. I was taken by the finger-grip, which in hindsight i misplaced value on the whistle itself (the finger-grip can be obtained elsewhere)
According to Economics, marginal utility (the benefit of changing whistle in this case) does not come close to the marginal cost (between a Valkeen and other perfectly acceptable whistles), therefore, it's a bad buy (unless you're expecting thousands of spectators); and I keep losing mine which make it an especially bad personal option!
I love it, but you are right.

The plastic is not as sturdy as it could be (one snapped in the freezing cold), and the finger grips are vital - someone should really sell them separately ;)

So, yeah, overpriced. But still, you can step down to a Dolphin for 6-7€ or any other whistle, but there is no competition for the Valkeen, and after 2-300 games, it's a no brainer.

Back