A&H

Mmm satisfying!

I would struggle to get the red out for "T***" said to a player by a player. It's just a stupid way to talk to somebody.

Said to me and it needs some thought with context, distance and loudness.

Maybe i'm getting soft as i get older but it's all about opinions.

The Referee Store
The early part of this thread has that distasteful 'them and us' vibe to it
There's contempt towards referees, but the same is true in reverse. I don't know why many referees bother, given the way they view the participants

The early part of this thread has that distasteful 'them and us' vibe to it
There's contempt towards referees, but the same is true in reverse. I don't know why many referees bother, given the way they view the participants
Not disputing you, but what actually made you say this?

Had a pearler on Saturday - 30m in, gobby player leaves a very high lazy foot in a tackle albeit without aggression - easy caution.

As I call him over he starts shouting at an oppo player and calls him a tw*t which clearly upset the oppo (and me) so thought, he can have one for that too.

Writing down the details before carding, he says ‘you’ve been soft all game ref’. I show him the first yellow and he walks away, so call him back and say, ‘not done yet mate, you can have another one for calling him a tw*t and this too - you’re dismissed’.

By FAR the most satisfying 5 seconds of my refereeing career so far.

Keen to hear any other stories of satisfaction!
Don't like criticising other referee's decision, but second caution was issued wrongly under LOTG...

Would have not cautioned for that at all, but having a word with him; send off (only if was something like "effin t*at" and loud).

Don't like criticising other referee's decision, but second caution was issued wrongly under LOTG...
no, it absolutely is not issued wrongly under the LOTG. The R has very broad discretion as to what constitutes USB. You may not agree with the judgment used, but that doesn’t make it wrong in Law.

Would have not cautioned for that at all, but having a word with him; send off (only if was something like "effin t*at" and loud).
No it wasn't. It might have been under the old foul and abusive language law, that annoyingly many referees still call it 25 years after it was changed, but with OFFINABUS it is very much in the opinion of the referee.

The title of the thread doesn't sit well with me despite the dismissal for a verbal offence
Point taken, but sometimes it’s nice when a particularly irritating player allows you to (appropriately and deservedly) remove them from the game

Point taken, but sometimes it’s nice when a particularly irritating player allows you to (appropriately and deservedly) remove them from the game
Whenever a player is dismissed, it's better to consider what could've been done to prevent that outcome. To an extent, it's our job to prevent misconduct. It's certainly a competency to be scored on. I don't think I've ever felt a sense of satisfaction when the red card comes out

Back