A&H

Misconduct Report?

Game this weekend, Away team 2 up at half time, no issues.

Second half 4 home team goals, and a last 20 minutes where the spectators for the away team questioned every decision loudly, often with choice language, and this affected their players, finished with 2 home and 4 away cautions.

Away team have told me they are going to report me, not sure for what, knowing the laws of the game I imagine.

Heading to the car park and one of a group of away spectators shouts at me "Watch your car is not keyed ref", this annoyed me more than anything else during the game.

Knowing they are likely to report me, and it's my first season, does any of the above in your opinion qualify for a misconduct report against the club or spectators, interested in opinions.

Thanks

JC

The Referee Store
Although I wasn't there, I can say with a degree of certainty that they won't report you. I've heard that so many times, often with no justification. Remember that you've done nothing wrong and that it was likely an empty threat!

Spectators shout all the time, so that in itself doesn't warrant a report. The comment in the car park however is a different matter for me. Did you feel threatened? Not sure what others think but if so, be tempted to put in a report on the spectators behaviour after the game. Otherwise, just leave it in the past.

If a spectator or spectators become an issue, speak to the manager and ask him to warn the spectators about their behaviour, and then if the abuse continues, you can ask him/ her to remove anybody causing problems from the touchline.

:)

Last edited:
Nothing during the game - you're always going to get dissent from fans, as long as there was nothing over the top I can't see anything worth reporting.

With regards to the keying thing, I'm assuming that it was nothing more than a threat, I'd not bother. If it made you particularly uncomfortable then yes, it's worth it, but if not, then don't worry.

I accept the stuff that went on during the 90, it's always going to happen, was annoyed, rather than threatened with the comments at the end about the car, I Love that car :)

I'm probably worryingly overly about being reported, I thought I did okay during the game, the home team were happy (they won), the away side were unhappy (they lost).

I will leave it, thanks for the comments, appreciate it.

JC

Hi JC

If they (the team) want to report You, that is their business. You did your job and did what you felt you needed to do. You hear this kind of crap from teams/players on occasion. It's nonsense, but if they do follow through with it then fine - You may get an assessor turn up to make sure you are doing your job properly but do not worry about it. Sounds like all is as should be in terms of you doing your job.

Now the comment in the car park. If that happened to me, I am reporting it on a misconduct report (plain paper report). It's a threat if sorts. Make the report factual with information you know - no speculation. If it comes to nothing so be it, but that is unacceptable.

Don't keep quiet about it. You ignore it and next week it is some other ref who gets to deal with it.

That is just my opinion of course.

As has been said above, unless they are really bang out of order, ignore the supporters. You are never going to keep everyone happy. You have no say over supporters. If needs be, speak with the manager and remind him/her of his obligation to keep his supporters in check. This could include your insistence in the "offenders" removal. If you feel very uncomfortable you could insist on removal or abandonment (but it would have to be really affecting your game in my view). Regarding the comment in the car park - report it. If you don't and next week I get the same thing and I don't report it, and the same thing happens to another ref the week after, how are the FA going to know that this teams fans are obviously an issue. Report it. The worst that can happen is that nothing happens. But at least if you report it the FA is obliged to keep an eye on things. As for them reporting you - let 'em. If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about. If you have done something wrong, as assessor will be appointed to look at your next game or two and point you in the right direction.

Back