A&H

Minimum observations and games for promotion and de-motion

I guess making them PGMOL employees (or whatever special status they have) makes it complicated, but how come L3/4 etc is such a cut throat business: "you're ranking near bottom? You're out." Whereas there are some Premier League referees WELL past their best and they seem untouchable.

The Referee Store
I think he means middles. Feasible to have only done 8 with some rotten luck and midweek unavailability.

I am not sure of there is a minimum number of games. But you need to be in the right bandings... which is A/A. If you're really in luck you might go up with A/B. Any one had any experience of refs being promoted with any less than that?

At 4 this is just your pool banding. At level 3 that becomes national pool with location being less of a factor.

But as Brian rightly points out, your availability/commitment will also be a significant contributing factor.
I’m a 4 and work shifts, 2 Saturdays open in January both taken by contrib lines. Next month 3 middles 2 lines. Its a proper mixed bag. When my weekends are shut mid week is open..... only 1 mid week middle this season

I guess making them PGMOL employees (or whatever special status they have) makes it complicated, but how come L3/4 etc is such a cut throat business: "you're ranking near bottom? You're out." Whereas there are some Premier League referees WELL past their best and they seem untouchable.
I get the contrast with PGMOL officials. However it makes sense in any case for L3 / L4 to be 'cuththroat' because the clubs involved are semi professional and would rightly expect a poor performing official to be replaced at that level ... there's a steady stream of up and coming L5 & L4 more than happy to take the place of the lower ranked referees. And whilst the rankings are far from perfect, given that they're typically based on 5+ observations and 20+ club marks, they tend to give a decent reflection of performance over the whole season

I wish I was as good as a “well past their best” pgmol offical. I’ll keep trying.

I think the promotion and demotion from 4-3-4-5-4 etc makes sense. If you make it to 3 but start struggling for whatever reason you’ll be out of your league with the standard expected and you aren’t doing the teams, league, or yourself any favours and it might lead to quitting refereeing completely. Going back down can match your level with the teams and you can still enjoy yourself.

One thing I know was recently changed for the good is that 4s demoted to 5 can go for 4 the very next season - gives a bit of motivation etc. Previously you had to do a full season at 5 before re-applying for 4.

I wish I was as good as a “well past their best” pgmol offical. I’ll keep trying.
I'm not one of these people that just slates SG1 officials, but there are some referees in that group that I see and think surely it's time for them to be replaced, not naming names.

Back