A&H

'MINE , LEAVE IT '

wa209

Morning all ..
Had a fairly non-descript game on Sat , White v Blue with White 2-1 up going into last 2 mins. Only one YC in game.
Bit of a melee on the edge of Blue box, with the ball bouncing around on a hard dusty pitch. From the melee i could hear 'mine' being said , however could not attribute it to a particular player. Ball breaks free to unmarked white player who scores a scruffy one in the corner. I gave a goal , games finishes 3-1
Que grievous uproar from blue with one player claiming he was put off by the call from a White player ( i didn't see anyone doing anything unusual , stopping etc ). Explained that in my view no-one was affected by the call ,( if it was a White player) the ball broke free and it was a legitimate goal.
Had a Blue player approach saying he was a qualified ref and i had got it wrong. I explained again as above, but a few were having none of it.

Just after a view from experienced colleagues as what you look for when 'calls' or 'shouts' of that nature are heard.

Thanks all

The Referee Store
It's the offence if it distracts an opponent, but then you obviously need to know who's shouted it as well. If you don't, you can't take action on it unfortunately.

Take a minute to calmly explain to whoever needs to know about the situation after the goal, and then carry on with the game. Unfortunately not a lot you can do there.

With so much happening there I'm not sure you could really 'look for' anyone.

If you see / believe that an opposition player was distracted by a player's shout then penalise with an Indirect Free Kick and a Caution. As with any other offence, if you don't know who did what then very hard to penalise. Most often these offences most obviously occur when a player is about to take a shot and an opponent attempts to put them off. Shouts of 'Mine' or 'Leave It' are harmless nine times out of ten but just occasionally they are intended to deceive

Thanks for replies..
Some are more obvious than others as stated above. I did not see anyone 'distracted' or otherwise do something out of the ordinary. Of course Blue will claim post goal that they were. One of those YHTBT moments really.
Thanks again

I'd take great exception to anyone telling me they are a qualified ref and disagreeing with my decision. I expect much higher standards than players who never officiated. Any ref will know it is not helpful to be told they got it wrong. Depending on how it was said, I would be looking to caution for dissent.

Agreed.
To be honest , it did't affect me. I just tried to explain my rational.....all I can do. Either accept it (doesn't have to be in good grace) or not.
Had another game on Sunday , a CAR who told me he was a Qualified Ref who then proceeded to be at least 20 yds behind play and kept the flag rolled up like a stick !!
Maybe it was just my turn this weekend ...someone else next week can have them !!!

Agreed.
To be honest , it did't affect me. I just tried to explain my rational.....all I can do. Either accept it (doesn't have to be in good grace) or not.
Had another game on Sunday , a CAR who told me he was a Qualified Ref who then proceeded to be at least 20 yds behind play and kept the flag rolled up like a stick !!
Maybe it was just my turn this weekend ...someone else next week can have them !!!

I tried to give my CAR 'spiel' to a man, yesterday morning, who wouldn't listen and kept walking away (half time CAR change), citing he had 'ran the line' at a very high level in the past.

I eventually got bored and just told him if he wouldn't listen then I would overrule him on decisions if needed (obviously I would do that anyway if CAR wrong in law), thinking back I should've told him he would know how important the instructions are then if he'd been to a high level... I took what he'd said with a pinch of salt.

And after all that, he gave the flag to someone else anyway when I walked away! Didn't know if to laugh or cry!

Had a Blue player approach saying he was a qualified ref and i had got it wrong. I explained again as above, but a few were having none of it.
IMHO, said blue player who is a “qualified ref” sounds like a d***. Absolutely not the way one of our colleagues should be approaching a conversation with you. If he really had that much of a grievance he should be having a chat with you after the game. Should have told him to go and get his kit out the car and let him take over.

just to jump in on this, can someone clear up if it is an actual offence in youth football if a player calls 'mine' when going for a header etc.. they have to call it by name ? saw a few shouts for this at my sons last game..

just to jump in on this, can someone clear up if it is an actual offence in youth football if a player calls 'mine' when going for a header etc.. they have to call it by name ? saw a few shouts for this at my sons last game..
You won't find a list of banned words anywhere in the LOTG - either in relation to this, or to something like OFFINABUS.

As other have said upthread, the offence this gets conflated with is "Verbal Distraction", which requires the referee to consider context and judge if the player shouting is deliberately trying to distract the opponent. Shouting 'Mine' in order to get an opponent to leave a ball and have it run through to your team/out of play is a possible application of this - but it's not the only possible application and it doesn't mean 'Mine' is automatically an offence. *

In fact, the two times I've considered cautioning for this (as it is a mandatory caution offence BTW - if you stop play for this, you must caution) is for general screams as an opponent is in the process of shooting. No actual words were used in either case, but the offence still would have occurred if the opponent ended up being distracted as a result of the scream.

*(To be fair, it does mean shouting your name rather than 'mine' does mean the referee can't reasonably think you're attempting to distract an opponent in most cases, so it's not bad coaching advice, but the reasoning is generally flawed.)

It's not an offence to say "mine" "leave it" or anything else like this. The offence is distracting an opponent, and potentially any words could do this. I had a player asking the question on Sunday because an opponent shouted as a team mate shot at goal. It didn't put him off so no offence, although it's not ideal so a quiet word in passing. In the past I've sent a player off for shouting "leave it" as an opponent went to put the ball into the goal from two yards out and it did put him off so he didn't take the shot.

As Graeme says, if you stop play you must caution for Unsporting behaviour (mine was DOGSO, which is obviously the more serious offence so this is what was punished)

You can call "mine" or whatever if the other player is a team mate, but if the other player is an opponent and in your opinion a shout - whatever is said - distracts him then it's an IDFK and a caution.

Qualified referee = Did the course once upon a time.

A bit like me being a qualified Portable Appliance Tester (true story!!). I haven’t done a single PAT test since 2009, but I’m still qualified!

I tried to give my CAR 'spiel' to a man, yesterday morning, who wouldn't listen and kept walking away (half time CAR change), citing he had 'ran the line' at a very high level in the past.

I eventually got bored and just told him if he wouldn't listen then I would overrule him on decisions if needed (obviously I would do that anyway if CAR wrong in law), thinking back I should've told him he would know how important the instructions are then if he'd been to a high level... I took what he'd said with a pinch of salt.

And after all that, he gave the flag to someone else anyway when I walked away! Didn't know if to laugh or cry!
I had a club assistant who, when I said pre-game, can we have a quick chat (as I handed over flag) - “what do I need to talk about, I know it all mate” … so I asked him which position he was going to take to start the game … he reluctantly put his head down and pretended to listen … and throughout the match proceeded to prove that he didn’t know it all … in fact very little …

I make it very loud and clear in youth footie in particular, PLEASE PUT A NAME ON A CALL - if same player continues AND it causes confusion then it’s an IDFK (hopefully not where it can lead to a problem for myself, eg penalty box … don’t need that stress!) - if no confusion then it’s an extra strong personal word as I jog past - never even had to give card …

My level of tolerance is lower bar with adult footie - they should know better, but I think less incidents

'You can call "mine" or whatever if the other player is a team mate, but if the other player is an opponent and in your opinion a shout - whatever is said - distracts him then it's an IDFK and a caution.'

Sorry , not great with the quote options...But 'Markref' summed up my understanding. If in my perception the 'shout' has interfered, or distracted...then offence. In my case I could not identify the offender amongst several players , however i did not see anyone react , stop or do anything out of the ordinary. However my attempts at explanation fell on deaf ears. Blue were convinced that the 'shout' in and of itself was an offence.

I make it very loud and clear in youth footie in particular, PLEASE PUT A NAME ON A CALL - if same player continues AND it causes confusion then it’s an IDFK (hopefully not where it can lead to a problem for myself, eg penalty box … don’t need that stress!) - if no confusion then it’s an extra strong personal word as I jog past - never even had to give card …

My level of tolerance is lower bar with adult footie - they should know better, but I think less incidents
🙈 Sorry Les but it's completely wrong to insist on this and makes it more difficult for your colleagues whom don't, correctly, insist on a name.

Back