A&H

Millwall V Cardiff Different topic thread

Steve C

The Unfit one!
Watching the Footy League show, how come the Senior assistant was on the side without the technical areas and the second assistant had those responsibilities? Is it down to trio preference? I always thought it was SAR has dugouts, but im not sure tbh

The Referee Store
How did you know the senior was on the opposite side to the technical areas?

I've seen it a few times before, sometimes it can be due to supporter locations?

@jojo, the AR with red and yellow flag is SAR, plain yellow is 2nd AR, for the millwall game 2nd AR was on the technical area touchline.

@jojo, the AR with red and yellow flag is SAR, plain yellow is 2nd AR, for the millwall game 2nd AR was on the technical area touchline.
I don't think that is the case in the FL. I believe it is on the surname of the assistant referees in alphabetical order, e.g. Adam is Red/Yellow Flag and Rooney is Yellow Flag.

Correct @jojo . Colour of flag doesn't indicate anything in terms of seniority it is simply a means to identify each assistant. AR1 on the appointment has the red flag and AR2 the yellow

Fair enough, whenever ive done games with ARs, the 'senior' gets given R/Y, the ex level 1s and 2s at everton academy do that normally. The majority of the time though, red flag is on dugout side

@jojo
upload_2014-10-28_14-11-58.png
All of the ARs there arent in surname alphabetical order :p the other appts are but these 4 arent, theres some from prev weeks where this isnt the case either. It could still be that its just for ID purposes but the vast majority of the time, Red is dugout side

i am so dying to take the p out of this thread........:eek:

where's the zipped up emoticon when you need it?

@jojo
View attachment 417
All of the ARs there arent in surname alphabetical order :p the other appts are but these 4 arent, theres some from prev weeks where this isnt the case either. It could still be that its just for ID purposes but the vast majority of the time, Red is dugout side
But the flags will still be with the Surnames, not necessarily with the number of assistant e.g. Assist 1 and 2.

But the flags will still be with the Surnames, not necessarily with the number of assistant e.g. Assist 1 and 2.
No, the flags will go with the position. AR1 will have the red flag and AR2 the yellow irrespective of alphabetical order, although they are often named in alphabetical order.

And this is why, here in Canada, we recommend using a matching set of flags. To avoid the confusion.

The AR1 is the bench side official, AR2 is the spectator side, regardless of who is more senior than the other. Those roles are determined by the centre referee at lower levels and the assignors at higher match levels.

No, the flags will go with the position. AR1 will have the red flag and AR2 the yellow irrespective of alphabetical order, although they are often named in alphabetical order.
Looking back on this, I said FL and not Prem, so that is why my post is incorrect, as you have pointed out!:p

Thats true! Ill have a gander later because I havent looked at them appts for the weekend :p

@jojo upload_2014-10-29_10-1-4.pngupload_2014-10-29_10-1-39.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back