A&H

Mileage Etiquette

JA1989

Level 5 Referee
After a bit of advice regarding mileage expenses and the etiquette around claiming from teams.

1. Firstly mileage, is this return journey from home to venue or one way?

2. How do you approach this with teams? I'm fairly proactive with communication with teams pre-fixture but haven't had the need to discuss expenses in the league's I've previously been officiating on. However I've been appointed to a couple of County Cup fixtures and also registered with a Saturday league which have mileage expenses in addition to match fees.

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
It is from your home address to the ground and back. If you are travelling to / from somewhere else then contact whoever appointed you to advise.

You will generally also be expected to take the shortest possible route. Don't know if it is still in place, but at contrib level there was a directive for this, and it used the example that if you went round the M25 to avoid going through Central London you could only claim as if you had done the latter. On the rare occasion I got appointed to South London games I had a decision to make, go direct (only a clown would do that, especially midweek) or go round the M25 and take the financial hit. As an example, from where I am to Whyteleafe is 126 miles round trip using the M25, direct route is 45 miles so a huge difference.

It is from your home address to the ground and back. If you are travelling to / from somewhere else then contact whoever appointed you to advise.

You will generally also be expected to take the shortest possible route. Don't know if it is still in place, but at contrib level there was a directive for this, and it used the example that if you went round the M25 to avoid going through Central London you could only claim as if you had done the latter. On the rare occasion I got appointed to South London games I had a decision to make, go direct (only a clown would do that, especially midweek) or go round the M25 and take the financial hit. As an example, from where I am to Whyteleafe is 126 miles round trip using the M25, direct route is 45 miles so a huge difference.
. . . partially offset by the Congestion Charge nowadays😁££. . .

If they ask I’ll tell them, if they don’t ask they’ll find out on the day. I don’t particularly like to bring up money before it’s time for payment unless they ask as me being paid shouldn’t be a surprise

After a bit of advice regarding mileage expenses and the etiquette around claiming from teams.

1. Firstly mileage, is this return journey from home to venue or one way?

2. How do you approach this with teams? I'm fairly proactive with communication with teams pre-fixture but haven't had the need to discuss expenses in the league's I've previously been officiating on. However I've been appointed to a couple of County Cup fixtures and also registered with a Saturday league which have mileage expenses in addition to match fees.

Thanks in advance
This subject should really form part of the pre match communication piece (normally via e mail). In an ideal world something like this:
1. Ref appointments secretary appoints you (usually on Full Time?).
2.The secretary of the home team contacts you, confirming the fixture, venue, team colours, changing facilities and post match refreshments if available.
3. You then respond back to the home team secretary, confirming your ETA on the day, your match fee (with travel expenses included) and (these days) whether or not you prefer payment in cash.

All pretty standard "down our way".😉🙂👍

This subject should really form part of the pre match communication piece (normally via e mail). In an ideal world something like this:
1. Ref appointments secretary appoints you (usually on Full Time?).
2.The secretary of the home team contacts you, confirming the fixture, venue, team colours, changing facilities and post match refreshments if available.
3. You then respond back to the home team secretary, confirming your ETA on the day, your match fee (with travel expenses included) and (these days) whether or not you prefer payment in cash.

All pretty standard "down our way".😉🙂👍
And totally out of the ordinary oop norf!

Unless asked for it I'd not be volunteering it in pre match comms much like @QuaverRef

Personally i have never told clubs my expenses before hand as it has never come up. Clubs will know if there is a mileage fee to be had and will expect to pay it. That being said i have a vase game near Maidstone next week as an assistant referee and i live in lincoln so may have to pre warn the club as to my mileage 😂😂

Reactions: es1
Yep. But the subject of money has never been part of them
Why not?
You're happy to tell them what time you'll arrive etc. but want to leave the subject of how much money they need to have ready for you until the day?
Yes, I know at L4 and above you simply fill out the match fee/ expenses card on arrival but the OP isn't in that boat.
For me, it makes complete sense (at any level) to just let the club know in advance.

. . . partially offset by the Congestion Charge nowadays😁££. . .
Not really, there's a route through the congestion charge where you don't have to pay. Or at least there used to be, I suspect that has been scrapped, I don't really have any interest as I've lived in London for 25 years and never once driven through the CC area.

It made sense to the question I thought you were asking!

Think @JamesL and @garytheref have filled in any further blanks
Okay, I give up!! 🙄

I think I get it:

"Oop there" you're all too busy breeding whippets and eating black pudding to worry about crossing the "Ts" and dotting the "Is" whilst down in darkest Cornwall where @JamesL is, they're too busy making pasties and fixing the village stocks/ducking stool to do likewise. 😉😄

Okay, I give up!! 🙄

I think I get it:

"Oop there" you're all too busy breeding whippets and eating black pudding to worry about crossing the "Ts" and dotting the "Is" whilst down in darkest Cornwall where @JamesL is, they're too busy making pasties and fixing the village stocks/ducking stool to do likewise. 😉😄

And sozzled on scrumpy!

Reactions: Kes
That's not an answer! (Not one that makes any sense anyway?).

Don't you have pre match e mail comms up there then?
I'm with you on this. During Covid many leagues down here were requiring clubs to ask referees how they wanted to be paid, i.e. cash or bank transfer, and to do that obviously meant they needed to know the full amount. It also avoids conflict, I got sent to a game years ago where I travelled 20 miles each way, and at the end of the game they gave me an envelope with just the match fee in. I pointed out that there was mileage in this competition, and they claimed that no other referee had claimed mileage. Perhaps I was the first to travel from that far away, but the conflict would have been avoided had it all been sorted by email beforehand.

Back