A&H

Mileage Allowance 25p - taking the proverbial?

deusex

RefChat Addict
One of the leagues I ref on has reduced mileage from 35p to 25p.
Embarrassing.
Why not just scrap it all together instead of pretending you can drive a car on 25p a mile.
My employer pays the same, but I can claim that back from HMRC at least

The Referee Store
I have a focus ST and work say it's 25p per mile I refuse to use my car for work stuff (my permanent job) It must cost me at leased 50p per mile in mine. it drinks fuel. Yes it is shocking but prices of fuel is still falling. Where I am diesel is cheaper than petrol now.

My league pays 30p a mile allowance, I have a diesel car, and here diesel is 5p cheaper than petrol. Like in the continent.

My car does about 45 mpg.

Cost of Diesel about £1.15 a litre, so that's £5.18 for a gallon and I'd get 45 miles out of it.

£5.18 / 45 = £0.115 a mile

So to your point, you could run two cars at 25p a mile ;)

My car does about 45 mpg.

Cost of Diesel about £1.15 a litre, so that's £5.18 for a gallon and I'd get 45 miles out of it.

£5.18 / 45 = £0.115 a mile

So to your point, you could run two cars at 25p a mile ;)

ROOKIE ERROR! How about car tax, wear and tear / maintenance, insurance, and other costs! ;)

25p a mile should be plenty. I ran a 4.4l car a few years ago and worked out I could get just about that economy. I'd agree that the wear/tear and other costs are irrelevant in this case.

Just drive like a vicar and you'll be fine.

@drahc tax insurance and general wear and tear are covered by you using your car daily.

Alas this is not true.....

If you are keeping your finance records, which you should be, because if HMRC do indeed catch up with you for your additional earnings you would need to prove you are not making a profit, otherwise you would need to declare tax on that profit.

Travel expense is very straight forward to apportion as you are not using you car for the sole and exclusive use of refereeing therefore you could only use a % of the costs to write off your income as an expense.

As you are claiming mileage allowance this is a dis-allowable income for tax purposes and should be record separately.

You would need to record your annual mileage for total use and then the total mileage only for refereeing related activity, (matches, meetings, appeals, training etc..)

You would then need to calculate the % use for referee activities by dividing the referee mileage by the total mileage and multiplying by 100.
This would then give you your % use to use to find out how much of your cars running expense you can write off against your referee income.
Make sure you record the cost of all repairs, MOTs, tax, insurance, fuel and add up the total and then divide that by your usage % to find out the total cost of referee activities.

Once you have this cost you would need to deduct your total expenses paid to you by clubs as this has already been paid to you, and the figure remaining is what you can legally deduct from your income for tax purposes.

I have attached the sheet I send out to my clients to calculate there own vehicle expenses.

Attachments

• Vehicle Expenses Calculation Sheet.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 17
Alas this is not true.....

If you are keeping your finance records, which you should be, because if HMRC do indeed catch up with you for your additional earnings you would need to prove you are not making a profit, otherwise you would need to declare tax on that profit.

Travel expense is very straight forward to apportion as you are not using you car for the sole and exclusive use of refereeing therefore you could only use a % of the costs to write off your income as an expense.

As you are claiming mileage allowance this is a dis-allowable income for tax purposes and should be record separately.

You would need to record your annual mileage for total use and then the total mileage only for refereeing related activity, (matches, meetings, appeals, training etc..)

You would then need to calculate the % use for referee activities by dividing the referee mileage by the total mileage and multiplying by 100.
This would then give you your % use to use to find out how much of your cars running expense you can write off against your referee income.
Make sure you record the cost of all repairs, MOTs, tax, insurance, fuel and add up the total and then divide that by your usage % to find out the total cost of referee activities.

Once you have this cost you would need to deduct your total expenses paid to you by clubs as this has already been paid to you, and the figure remaining is what you can legally deduct from your income for tax purposes.

I have attached the sheet I send out to my clients to calculate there own vehicle expenses.

As a qualified accountant this comment just made me smile a lot! Just shows actually how much you should get and how much better off usually you are if you calulate it out using the law!

I'll be honest and say what used to cause greater aggravation was when an old league of mine cut from 30p to 28p. The fractions made the calculations difficult for everybody. I'm pushing the small mercies button here but it saves a load of hassle.

Maybe as Brian said, its as a result of fiddling? There are some who see expense gouging as a right, so in the end we all suffer. When you look at it in percentage terms, it's a massive drop, but overall, for me that would work out as £2-3 off a fee at the most.

Maybe? But if that were the case why not go to a fixed fee?

Maybe it's due to the price of diesel coming down? I know league's that pay expenses for mileage have a maximum pay out to officials anyway. So if you go over that they only have to give you the maximum not any more, unless in special circumstances where you inform the league and they allow you to charge it all.

I'd suggest the idea of having expenses on top is largely a reflection of the size of the area. Two local supply leagues to me cover vast geographical spreads - Lincolnshire in the North east to mid Leicester in the north-west and down as far as middle of Bedfordshire. The next one over runs from North Bucks almost into Zone 1 of the London Underground area. There are occasional needs for referees to travel from extremis to extremis so an expense based system is fairest overall.

In general, cuts to expenses are the easiest to manage. Cuts to fees by the same percentage would do no end of damage.

Yes but the supply pool adjacent to you, is just as big and goes from Nottinghamshire, leicestershire, linconlcshire, South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, up past hull, where if you lives in Derby or Nottingham and were expected to referee past Hull you would be driving for 2 1/2 hours for a fixed fee.

It's just what the clubs want.

Yes but the supply pool adjacent to you, is just as big and goes from Nottinghamshire, leicestershire, linconlcshire, South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, up past hull, where if you lives in Derby or Nottingham and were expected to referee past Hull you would be driving for 2 1/2 hours for a fixed fee.

It's just what the clubs want.
Also covers West Yorkshire. Assessors by the way get a fixed fee round our way dependent on the level of football and no mileage.

Also covers West Yorkshire. Assessors by the way get a fixed fee round our way dependent on the level of football and no mileage.

And like you say, an Assessor has far from completed their work for that game, so if you do a break town of time, door to door and add on the time it takes to write the reports an assessor is getting hardly anything.

But by and large, we don't do it for money.

I have turned down so much over time over the last few years because I wan't to referee. My whole week I am looking forward to the game on Saturday, whether its on the line where I want to do my best for the referee or in the middle where I want to do my best for the game, and help both my assistants. After the match I will always buy them both a drink, and assessor if he has stayed back with us. So that is £10 gone straight away.

I'm not bothered about money, whether its mileage, a fixed fee. I just love refereeing. Yeah the money can be nice but it only gets re-invested into kits, flags etc.

And like you say, an Assessor has far from completed their work for that game, so if you do a break town of time, door to door and add on the time it takes to write the reports an assessor is getting hardly anything.

But by and large, we don't do it for money.

I have turned down so much over time over the last few years because I wan't to referee. My whole week I am looking forward to the game on Saturday, whether its on the line where I want to do my best for the referee or in the middle where I want to do my best for the game, and help both my assistants. After the match I will always buy them both a drink, and assessor if he has stayed back with us. So that is £10 gone straight away.

I'm not bothered about money, whether its mileage, a fixed fee. I just love refereeing. Yeah the money can be nice but it only gets re-invested into kits, flags etc.
My wife has a horse. She wanted one for 30 years before a little insurance payout meant she could afford one with 4 legs. She spends about £400 per month on upkeep. I tell her I make a profit on football and use the extra match fees, assessor and tutor fees to pay for our annual holiday. Truth is, just as you say, the vast majority of the money gets reinvested in kit and equipment. It's almost as if we enjoyed refereeing ;)

I'm not in this for the money, I do it because I enjoy it. At the grass roots level where I officiate referees are the only participants who get any money from the game. I'm happy to take my match fee and basic expenses. The money goes on kit and a few beers on a Saturday night which is fine by me.

Gents, whilst all this is very noble you're missing the point.
It personally costs me 30p a mile to run my car if I do 10,000 miles. (20p of which is petrol!!)
Either pay me the 30p or don't please.
But don't pretend however you can run a car on 25p a mile (unless you do 20,000 miles a year, in which case I pity you ;))

And yes assessors sure as hell aren't in it for the money. Personally I assess to stop good young refs from progressing and overtaking me.

Last edited:
Back