A&H

Milan vs Napoli - Offside?

The Referee Store
I'm really torn on this one. At first glance it feels like it should be interfering with an opponent but when you go through the four clauses it's hard to identify which one he clearly broke. He didn't really prevent his opponent from playing the ball. He didn't really challenge for the ball. And he really didn't make an obvious action that prevented an opponent from playing the ball.

Not for me. He hasn't touched the ball or made a motion to play it, and he hasn't prevented an opponent from playing it.

Sound wasn’t working so I couldn’t hear commentators so until Var replay had no idea what they were even checking. Really really confusing call it has to be said

Looks to me it's the grounded Napoli player who plays the ball and struggling to see how the Milan player is interfering with play or his opponent 🤔

18:30 is close to the score and the review.

Has to be the player on the ground still involved with play.

The announcers were saying handball, but they are not noticing the referee's hand raised for an indirect free kick...offsides, not a DFK.

In addition to the 4 main bullets, Law 11 also tells us:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence should be penalised under Law 12

I think OS is correct call.

Back