A&H

Mid Season (not so) Friendly

If you’d sent him off for kicking out, he wouldn’t have been there to cause you further problems.

How on earth do you justify not dealing with Violent Conduct?

The Referee Store
If you’d sent him off for kicking out, he wouldn’t have been there to cause you further problems.

How on earth do you justify not dealing with Violent Conduct?

Wasn't him that caused me problems later in the game.
The two later in the game were completely different from the first one.
The first incident was born from frustration and I had a chat with him as I felt a bollocking in a friendly that had nothing of note so far was far better than a straight red card in a pointless fixture. That was the view I took at the time. I appreciate that hindsight is a great thing and maybe should have sent him off by letter of the law.
The 2nd incident was only because I did not give a foul (to either team). I gave a dropped ball because I stopped the game for what was, I thought at the time, a really serious injury caused by himself. The "injury" occurred because the sliding player was caught by the player who had won the ball at around knee height and played the ball at the same time forward. No malice in any of the challenge but the player "injured" sounded in absolute pain but in fact was trying to deceive me - there was nothing wrong with him (which to be fair was my take on the challenge as well, nothing in it at all).
Me stopping the game invited the player to now get up and square up to the player. At the angle I was at, I could not see if the player had headbutted on initial squaring up but I can guarantee that there were no "headbutt" when I got a better view - it was just heads together. Now when I called them in I then noticed the blood, wasn't a lot, but there was some. It could have been from a headbutt. I do not know. He could quite easily get them from some other condition (stress maybe, I have had them before through stress).
I told the players with 2 minutes to go that their behaviour was unacceptable and advised the managers that the best action was to sub the pair of them and move on.
Hindsight, as said, is brilliant. Next time I won't use, what was in my opinion, common sense and a bit of courtesy and just dish them out.

But thats what it is. An opinion.
I appreciate the advice, something I was asking, and have taken on board what has been said for future games I do.

Back