A&H

Micro shin pads

The Referee Store
That also says that players are responsible for wearing though, it could be argued that is placing the onus very much on them and away from the referee.
I'm sure it could be and no doubt some players would argue it.

Going by that argument we should now allow paper shinguards because the material is not our responsibility either.

I have already comment on the 'responsibility' wording. Let's not use ifab's inability to word intent to shirk responsibility. And let's not turn something ifab intended to tighten shinguard safety to something that loosens it.

From the way you have constructed your post I have a feeling we are in the same page.

IFAB have given a reply...up to the players/coaches to self manage. We're already seeing games played under the updated 23/24 Laws allowing players to wear these micro shinpads so the pro referees are allowing them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_105454.jpg
    IMG_20230724_105454.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 42
They always do. Especially the employees posting in their social media accounts. Paper shinguards, here we come. But as long as the color of the undershirt is the same color as the shirt sleeve.

They always do. Especially the employees posting in their social media accounts. Paper shinguards, here we come. But as long as the color of the undershirt is the same color as the shirt sleeve.
To be fair, they aren't really the same.

The whole point of same coloured under garments is to aid the referees decision making and avoiding kit colour clashes. This is something that can directly impact you as the referee and the outcome of a game on KMD.

Other jewellery etc can affect other players safety so that's also different.

Shin Guards affect the wearer and the wearer alone and to a certain extent I do side with the fact that they have to bear most if not all all of the personal responsibility of protecting themselves and the level of protection that they feel is necessary.

There is no need for paper shinguards, as you can now buy the micro shin pads anyway 😏

Remind me again why they are 'compulsory' equipment?

I don't think we are going to agree on this.

Remind me again why they are 'compulsory' equipment?

I don't think we are going to agree on this.
I dont think we will.
But, I do agree on that they are compulsory, and we must check they at least have something on.

Where we disagree is how far those checks must go. It's not for us to say too big, too small, unsuitable material (provided they pose no safety risk to other participants) and those points are up to that's to the players discretion. Leaving that to refs to decide also creates I consistency between games.

Ultimately your role is to check they have them on. That's it.

I dont think we will.
But, I do agree on that they are compulsory, and we must check they at least have something on.

Where we disagree is how far those checks must go. It's not for us to say too big, too small, unsuitable material (provided they pose no safety risk to other participants) and those points are up to that's to the players discretion. Leaving that to refs to decide also creates I consistency between games.

Ultimately your role is to check they have them on. That's it.
Yeah, I agree, and that IFAB reply pretty much kills this off as a debate. We have to enforce they have something of suitable material on, but if they want to risk themselves by wearing tiny pads that is their choice. They might even be going on some kind of medical evidence / advice, it is the middle of the tibia that is most at risk of breaks.

I mean it seems pretty clear to me. We are entitled and required to check a) that shinpads are being worn and b) that they are not a danger to other players.

Any other details (material, size, location etc.) are up to the player wearing them.

I have used this example before. If you follow what's in black and white without trying to understand why it's there then every goal after the first offence in the game has to be disallowed. No one believes or follows what's in the law for this 'in black and white'.

What @Redster is providing is a way of understanding the reason behind what is written in law.

As I said, put a small coin under your socks and you have a shinguard. Surely you don't believe the law was ment to make this

To be fair, they aren't really the same.

The whole point of same coloured under garments is to aid the referees decision making and avoiding kit colour clashes. This is something that can directly impact you as the referee and the outcome of a game on KMD.

Other jewellery etc can affect other players safety so that's also different.

Shin Guards affect the wearer and the wearer alone and to a certain extent I do side with the fact that they have to bear most if not all all of the personal responsibility of protecting themselves and the level of protection that they feel is necessary.

There is no need for paper shinguards, as you can now buy the micro shin pads anyway 😏
The truth is really then that’s the need for shin pads should simply be removed - there are no specs - it’s clear to me that the referee has no authority - so a simple postage stamp stuck to the shin could be argued by player “my choice” - so IFAB should have the b*lls to either remove any reference or put some kind of definition against a shin pad - for me that should/would be a Shinpad that meets CE approval

As far as grassroots is concerned I believe that clubs should be educating their players/parents (I also have a role as Club Welfare Officer)

The truth is really then that’s the need for shin pads should simply be removed - there are no specs - it’s clear to me that the referee has no authority - so a simple postage stamp stuck to the shin could be argued by player “my choice” - so IFAB should have the b*lls to either remove any reference or put some kind of definition against a shin pad - for me that should/would be a Shinpad that meets CE approval

As far as grassroots is concerned I believe that clubs should be educating their players/parents (I also have a role as Club Welfare Officer)
Not quite. The material, that the shin guard is made from, has to provide reasonable protection, and that is where the referee can step in and take preventative action.

Not quite. The material, that the shin guard is made from, has to provide reasonable protection, and that is where the referee can step in and take preventative action.
Can they? I have until recently argued for this point - but have been argued down and presented with IFAB “memos” that suggest we have NO authority to decline a Shinpad and that it is COMPLETELY the player’s responsibility

Can they? I have until recently argued for this point - but have been argued down and presented with IFAB “memos” that suggest we have NO authority to decline a Shinpad and that it is COMPLETELY the player’s responsibility

Attachments

• IMG_5192.jpeg
    IMG_5192.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 29
I argued the player's welfare point of view with regards to youth football. I was sent a copy of the LOTG bullet point - no more.

The current sitution is not right and needs to be addressed.

How do we as referees know a player is wearing shin pads? They could have anything vaguely rectangular down their socks.

How do we as referees know a player is wearing shin pads? They could have anything vaguely rectangular down their socks.
I only really notice shin pads, when they fall out a players sock.

Possibly a knock test hahaa, ask the player to knock it so you can hear it. Then move on.

I get why people above are annoyed and possibly feel powerless. But the only people that have power here, right now are the players and the coaching teams. Leave it to them.

Back