A&H

Medical Incident

colindotcom

What happened at WHL on Saturday evening got me thinking about something my tutor said whan I took the course (many years ago (9!)) about any medical incident you as a referee should leave well alone and let someone else deal with it.
Now where as a whole agree with this, I referee in places where an ambulance could take anywhere up to half an hour to arrive, now im no medical professional im merely a lifeguard, however I have trained in CPR for 7 years and feel I would be (in most circumstances) the most qualified person to deal with a cardiac arrest (or other serious incident, spinal) are there any new guideline as to whether I (we) should involve our selves in such incidents?

The Referee Store
as a referee who is also a qualified first aider my priority would be the patient until the ambulance arrived, i dont care what anyone says if the patient dies and it is found out you have done a cpr course you could end up in court for not doing anything

On the reverse side of that Paul, what if you'd administered CPR and they later went on to die? We live in a suing culture, so wouldn't be surprised if people tried to start legal action.

Personally, I know very basic first aid, but wouldn't feel confident enough to do anything more than put someone in the recovery position. I'd call an ambulance, and leave it to the professionals.

I have also been told if its found im a lifeguard at an indcident and I dont react then I could be in trouble!

Also by the time an ambulance had arrived round here I could have qualified as a doctor!!

i have to say, my rule of thumb would be dont touch anyone on a field of play unless you feel they are in grave danger of death or serious injury.

having said this i have given cpr to a spectator at a game, and also cleared a goalkeepers airway when the physio was looking at her nails and taking her sweet time.

i always think, if someone died id rather be in court defending the fact that i tried to help rather than defending the fact that i stood and did nothing.

Hi
Rule 1: Only treat if you are willing and able to do so
Rule 2: Only treat in the manner in which you have been trained
Rule 3: Act in the best interest of the casualty
Now if a player is not breathing and no one including the physios knows what to do then a ref that has CPR training should step in to save the player. If nothing is done the player will die. The window is minutes to open the airway and start CPR. The player that is not breathing has 4/6 minutes otherwise brain damage is probable beyond that.
As regards a bone injury then I would not move the player but wait for the ambulance. Keeping the player comfortable is all that should be done. There is no immediate life threatening situation there and it is best to wait for the proper equipment.

Spot on Goldfish. I asked exactly the same question at my First Aid referesher course last year, and was given the answers you list above. Let the club(s) deal with the casualty initially, but if it appears they know less than you or will further endanger the casualty, you must use your first aid knowledge to intervene.

Back