A&H

Matic red card

The Referee Store
On what grounds? You can't appeal it on the grounds that "he deserved it"? If for some reason they have it overturned, at least we know that mourinho dark arts have worked.

The only change that could possibly take place here is whether Barnes' tackle on Matic had been clearly seen by [sorry, can't remember who was in the middle]. i.e. what was in the ref's match report, and if he had clearly seen it (assuming he had not) would Barnes be issued with a retrospective Red.

As a Chelsea fan, I know the appeal is pointless.

I do however think Barnes needs a retrospective ban.

Have to echo the above sentiment 'On what grounds?' Whether Barnes should have been further punished is immaterial to the offence committed. An appeal is because an error in law has been made in sending the player off. "He should have gone too" is not a defence. There's a very real chance here of an additional game being added for a frivolous appeal.

It's not as though there was time to show a red before Matic lost it either. He was out to nail Barnes whatever his punishment was going to be.

However, with that said a bid for leniency on the grounds of mitigating circumstances may be more successful. "I reacted to the challenge, and I'm sorry but I feared for my career/health" might see it cut by a game.

If the FA overturn this red card I would be saddened and hugely disappointed, but not shocked.

Hackett says he feels sorry for Matic (ie not a red). There's the definitive word said.

I heard him on Talksport last night - sounded suspiciously like Neil Warnock however - tone, accent and inflection on particular words. Don't see them in the same place often...

Actually much of what Hackett said was nonsense and him trying to stay relevant. It's not like anything like this happened under his watch with Jose Bosingwa getting away with an axe-kick by the corner flag and Mike Riley and Mo Matadar blaming each other for not taking action....oh hang on a minute. :oops:

Mark Halsey's interview was much better - fought off Mark Saggers attempt to back him into a corner very well

Quite an interesting point of view on 5Live last night.

An ex-player, think it was Steve Claridge, said that when he had been a player, he was not the bravest and so, when tackling stronger and bigger players, he would keep his leg straight to protect himself. He felt that this was what Barnes had done and because Matic managed to get to the ball before him the result was the tackle that we have all seen.

He didn't excuse Barnes, he said that he would have known exactly what he was doing but that it was a tackle made from a touch of fear of Matic rather than "criminal" intent.

Ive just noticed, with Ivanovic getting booked for preventing the card being shown, shouldnt he have been booked earlier for simulation for the barnes tackle on him? Could argue he should have walked too?

Back