A&H

Match Incident.. Broken Leg

lee_1980_evans

Level 7 Referee
Had a senior game last week where a player broke his leg... Won't go into the detail as it was a 50/50 challenge and sadly the one player came off a lot worse... My post is about how I now feel.

Since the game I feel a bit nervous and apprehensive about being in the middle again. Not my fault I know but I don't feel confident anymore.

Any help, advice will be great.

The Referee Store
This sort of thing is rare, football is a physical game and now and again injuries will happen.

Best advice I can give you is get back on the horse mate.

Also make sure to make use of your local referee society. Chance to normalise this experience.

Had a snapped leg at a cup final a few weeks back. The crowd in the main stand heard the crack. Was a bad one. Unfortunately it happens mate. As SM said try not to worry and crack onto next week. Nothing you could do about it (unless you were involved in the 50/50 challenge in which case I'd definitely retire the whistle!)

Hi mate, can only agree with the two posts already, it is rare, but it does happen sadly I had a dislocated knee a fews week back, not nice at all, game had to be abandoned. When you look at these things especially 50/50 there is nothing that as a referee you could have done. I was lucky as i had a game straight away after. I did follow up on the player later in the week which I felt i needed to do (Just a personal thing)
keep going! :)

As the others have said, don't get too worried about it. My brother has a horrendous double leg break (both bones in one leg, not both legs!) that ended up with him requiring surgery and a permanent rod being put in his leg. That was April last year.

Earlier this year, February, he returned to football (and has since returned to cricket) and is fully able to compete again without any issues

I was captain in a cup final where a player on my team collected the ball on the half way line completely unmarked, got the ball tangled in his feet and as he tried to turn to control it we heard an almighty snap.

Had a compound fracture of his left femur. Then as he looked at it on the ground he passed out. (Understandably in fairness, it was a mess).

Knocked me for 6 as a player at the time and it took a few games to get back to normal, but you just have to get on with it.

These stories become like war wounds after a while, everybody has them.

Just focus on that next game and then tick them off one by one and you'll be fine. Before you know it.

Back