A&H

Match fees query

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Can the county FA dictate to the local leagues a set of match fees and whether they can pay petrol or not?

The Referee Store
The best placed people to answer or provide rationale are the CFA themselves.
Could be to do with some leagues having a shortfall of refs as not being paid enough or some clubs living beyond their means paying refs or subs to high to cover fees making it hard to get players.
I imagine it is in some form an attempt to increase participation.
No players. No games. No fees.

In my many, many years of reffing i have never heard of CFAs telling local leagues what they can pay.

In some circumstances my fees will be 50% less but they are now already 25% less regardless.

Some leagues match their fees to that of their parent CFA. In the past some CFAs in the South East of England worked together to put a maximum match fee for their affiliated leagues, I know London and Middlesex were two of them but it was more than that. That was scrapped years ago though, and there are leagues like the TCFF pay way more than others.

I don't see how a CFA can be responsible for your league fee having to fall 25%, let alone 50%, that doesn't make any sense at all.

As a fellow Kent ref I thought it just brought it into line with the vast majority of leagues in my area so I’m wondering whereabouts in county £40 is a downgrade (not so I can move there obviously), but also it was the whole council of the CFA that voted for it. We have to remember we’re not the only participants in grassroots football and clubs are facing rising costs, including referee costs, so while we might moan at slight loss of money, we wouldn’t be paid without those teams. Barring a few leagues there’s been a major fall in number of 11-a-side teams and the CFA want to try and stem the tide and reverse it.

It can depend on the level of football. County football (step 8 and below) are governed by your CFA, so they technically can dictate the league rules - as they have the power of veto over them.

Grassroots Leagues comply with the Standard Code of Rules from the FA Handbook. Rule 23 (E) States:

Subject to any limits/provisions laid down by the Sanctioning Authority, Match Officials appointed under this Rule shall be paid a match fee in accordance with the Fees Tariff and travel expenses of [ ] per mile / or inclusive of travel expenses.

The Fees Tariff is set by the League but it looks like a CFA can set a level.
That was on page 499 of the 2018/19 handbook if it helps.

Grassroots Leagues comply with the Standard Code of Rules from the FA Handbook. Rule 23 (E) States:

Subject to any limits/provisions laid down by the Sanctioning Authority, Match Officials appointed under this Rule shall be paid a match fee in accordance with the Fees Tariff and travel expenses of [ ] per mile / or inclusive of travel expenses.

The Fees Tariff is set by the League but it looks like a CFA can set a level.
That was on page 499 of the 2018/19 handbook if it helps.
Are you referring to county cup fees here?

Are you referring to county cup fees here?

This is the Standard Code of Rules. Not sure if County Cups follow them but probably. They apply to all Competitions at Step 7 and below.

Affiliated League's have to comply with them.

Kent FA have capped the maximum fees payable to match officials across their affiliated leagues.

I don't see a problem with it. I only do adult games and even with mileage etc the closest I ever game to £40 was when the women's league took me into London and I got about £34

Back