A&H

Match Feedback Scores

MarcoPolo147

I'm pretty new to refereeing but used to be a coach. I remember after each game we would have to submit a score for the referee. Is there any way we're able to access these scores as a referee? I've been asking teams for feedback after each game but would like to see the score they've submitted for me on the system...

The Referee Store
ask the referee appointments officer for the league, generally they have access / collate the marks and may provide you the marks

I'm pretty new to refereeing but used to be a coach. I remember after each game we would have to submit a score for the referee. Is there any way we're able to access these scores as a referee? I've been asking teams for feedback after each game but would like to see the score they've submitted for me on the system...
Some leagues advise the referee their average club mark, others don't - you need to ask your Appointments Secretary locally.

Not usually. When I first started out, my Youth League were very transparent WRT these scores. If I asked, they'd send me a screenshot of my games/scores. However, imagine being an Appt. Sec. with 100+ R's at your disposal. It may not be feasible or reasonable to expect this
Besides, once I'd been Reffing for a while, I quickly lost interest with individual Club Marks. I understand Level 3 R's and above may have increased visibility of individual Club Marks and Level 4 R's get overall progress (Club Marks in the form of 'Bandings'), County Refs generally can't access their scores... not even seasonal averages in my experience. I think it's reasonable to ask for an end-of-season tally, but I stopped asking as the request would typically get ignored (for reasons I don't really understand)

In a nutshell, I wouldn't bother 'getting into the weeds' of Club Marks as you won't learn anything from them in your first few seasons. They're just a distraction and you'll know if you're doing OK as you get trusted with games as you develop (or not, as the case may be!)

They shouldn't give you marks for individual games, as that might lead to subconscious bias the next time you referee a team that you know have marked you badly. What they should do though is tell you your end of season average and how this compares to other referees on the league.

Not usually. When I first started out, my Youth League were very transparent WRT these scores. If I asked, they'd send me a screenshot of my games/scores. However, imagine being an Appt. Sec. with 100+ R's at your disposal. It may not be feasible or reasonable to expect this
Besides, once I'd been Reffing for a while, I quickly lost interest with individual Club Marks. I understand Level 3 R's and above may have increased visibility of individual Club Marks and Level 4 R's get overall progress (Club Marks in the form of 'Bandings'), County Refs generally can't access their scores... not even seasonal averages in my experience. I think it's reasonable to ask for an end-of-season tally, but I stopped asking as the request would typically get ignored (for reasons I don't really understand)

In a nutshell, I wouldn't bother 'getting into the weeds' of Club Marks as you won't learn anything from them in your first few seasons. They're just a distraction and you'll know if you're doing OK as you get trusted with games as you develop (or not, as the case may be!)
All you'll learn at grassroots level is that in general the team that wins will give you a good mark and the team that loses won't.

You're inviting a whole load of potential trouble. In general, those in the clubs don't actually know the laws of the game, so you open up a load of unnecessary opportunities for them to have a go at you or criticize you for stuff they know very little about.

I'll give you an example - my first 6-5 observation. It was a pretty tough game and neither side were especially happy at the final whistle. One of those games where the players who did come over to shake hands only did so in order to say things like 'not your best game' or 'you ruined that today'

So all in all the feedback from the clubs alone was poor and could have got me thinking about what I'd done wrong and how I could have done better.

Except - observer thought I'd had a great game with 2 very difficult to handle teams and in the end gave me a mark of 'above standard' with loads of positives and a couple of very minor developments.

Without an observer there and only taking feedback from the teams, I'd have had a very different (and negative) perspective on the game.

Agree with Justylove - 2 examples from last night and perfectly understandable from 'their' point of view but illustrate perfectly how a lack of actual law knowledge can affect the view on our performances.

1) Red defender apparently being blocked off at corners, not in my half as senior AR. Benches ask, very politely, why I can't advise the referee, When I explain that its really nothing to do with me and that sometimes you just have to accept that if something like this is 'missed' by two pairs of eyes then you have to accept it. They did, tbf, accept my argument and asked if I could just mention to ref at HT - which I did.

2) Referee played an excellent advantage after a careless foul attempt to SPA, Ball ended up being fired just over the bar by a teammate. Crowd going mad for a yellow card - I DID explain but they insisted it was "still a booking" the funny moment came when I asked for "booking for what exactly?" " It just IS" came the frustrated reply - followed by the rather impractical and nonsensical advice that if I played a few games down here that would sort me out and teach me the rules (sic)! :rolleyes:

You're inviting a whole load of potential trouble. In general, those in the clubs don't actually know the laws of the game, so you open up a load of unnecessary opportunities for them to have a go at you or criticize you for stuff they know very little about.

I'll give you an example - my first 6-5 observation. It was a pretty tough game and neither side were especially happy at the final whistle. One of those games where the players who did come over to shake hands only did so in order to say things like 'not your best game' or 'you ruined that today'

So all in all the feedback from the clubs alone was poor and could have got me thinking about what I'd done wrong and how I could have done better.

Except - observer thought I'd had a great game with 2 very difficult to handle teams and in the end gave me a mark of 'above standard' with loads of positives and a couple of very minor developments.

Without an observer there and only taking feedback from the teams, I'd have had a very different (and negative) perspective on the game.
I can take that a step further, refereed a contrib game back in 2008 between two local rivals in Essex. Finished with 9 cautions and a red, a really tough game where they were trying to kick lumps out of each other. After the game both club secretaries made a point of telling me, together, that they were both marking me zero, and they carried it through as I plummeted hundeds of places in the merit table. The assessor gave me 71, which whilst it wasn't a great mark it was above the standard expected.

I can take that a step further, refereed a contrib game back in 2008 between two local rivals in Essex. Finished with 9 cautions and a red, a really tough game where they were trying to kick lumps out of each other. After the game both club secretaries made a point of telling me, together, that they were both marking me zero, and they carried it through as I plummeted hundeds of places in the merit table. The assessor gave me 71, which whilst it wasn't a great mark it was above the standard expected.
As mentor to a referee who was in his first season at Contrib level, I was in the clubhouse an hour before the game and overheard the two managers talking.
"New ref today, young guy. Probably fancies himself. Let's do the usual, give him 71"
I introduced myself, said "Interesting approach" and they blustered and left.
Club marks ended as 75 and 76.

Agree with Justylove - 2 examples from last night and perfectly understandable from 'their' point of view but illustrate perfectly how a lack of actual law knowledge can affect the view on our performances.

1) Red defender apparently being blocked off at corners, not in my half as senior AR. Benches ask, very politely, why I can't advise the referee, When I explain that its really nothing to do with me and that sometimes you just have to accept that if something like this is 'missed' by two pairs of eyes then you have to accept it. They did, tbf, accept my argument and asked if I could just mention to ref at HT - which I did.

2) Referee played an excellent advantage after a careless foul attempt to SPA, Ball ended up being fired just over the bar by a teammate. Crowd going mad for a yellow card - I DID explain but they insisted it was "still a booking" the funny moment came when I asked for "booking for what exactly?" " It just IS" came the frustrated reply - followed by the rather impractical and nonsensical advice that if I played a few games down here that would sort me out and teach me the rules (sic)! :rolleyes:
On the second one, their 'logic' for being 'right' which I overheard was this " No, that can't be right, what he had broken his leg?!" :rolleyes:

Back