A&H

Match abandoned due to brawl

The Referee Store
I was told to do similar actions to mass confrontation like this - take a step back and note everything that's happening, let it calm down before involving yourself (the last thing you want is the 22 players turning on you).

Is this incorrect?

I agree with @boulderdomb, perhaps a few more blows of the whistle wouldn't have gone amiss?

Also forgive me if this is stupid, shouldn't literally all the subs who came on have been cautioned too?

Geez, on a scale of 1-10 for mass brawls thats a 1......... I've had a couple of 5's and one 10.5!!!......

Was an actual punch thrown there or was it just Brummy handbags??

I was told to do similar actions to mass confrontation like this - take a step back and note everything that's happening, let it calm down before involving yourself (the last thing you want is the 22 players turning on you).

Is this incorrect?

Depends on how proactive you class yourself as a referee, or in some cases, how brave you are. I believe the "English" way is to stand back and observe then take action but, in Scotland, officials would have been in, least 1, possibly 2, trying to act as barrier, separate who you can, yes, create that triangle view point but, I suppose its just what you feel comfy with

Also forgive me if this is stupid, shouldn't literally all the subs who came on have been cautioned too?

By LOTG you can yes, but, if you are going to caution for "entering field without permission" then, lets hope in the interests of making sure offenders are dealt with, that you catch ALL who are guilty of Violent Conduct, or, Adopting Aggressive Attitude or anything else Can you imagine yellowing carding 4/5/6 players and they go why and you go " cos you were on the park", yet you have missed 4/5/6 players who are guilty of violence or aggression? You would need to also make sure you catch ALL the subs who were on the park or else you are open to "well he was on also and you never cautioned him". Subs just being there, in that situation, no, course they should not be, but its a very low priority, if they were involved in a punch or so, then yes by all means make sure they got a red card. Its the sort of situation you wont know how you will handle it until it happens, how many folk will be involved, where on the park will it be, what will spark it, too many variables to discuss at length until it actually happens.

I think you have made a good example there of the difference between knowing the LOTG and knowing how to manage a game....two very different things...

I've got reds for the green 8 and 5, difficult to see what else happened from that distance. Whether there are grounds for abandonment though, well I'm just not sure. There isn't any serious violence, unless the camera missed it, and it doesn't tick my abandonment box.

I've got reds for the green 8 and 5, difficult to see what else happened from that distance. Whether there are grounds for abandonment though, well I'm just not sure. There isn't any serious violence, unless the camera missed it, and it doesn't tick my abandonment box.
Thats FA code for.... its handbags lads, lets get on with it, any more **** and i'll start taking autographs....:cool::redcard:

The only reason I could see was that there seemed to be 2 separate waves of the confrontation, normally you'd expect it to calm down a bit quicker than it actually did.

One of those that the referee on the ground is much more attuned to what's going on. We have no context as to what has gone on before in the game either

The only reason I could see was that there seemed to be 2 separate waves of the confrontation, normally you'd expect it to calm down a bit quicker than it actually did.

One of those that the referee on the ground is much more attuned to what's going on. We have no context as to what has gone on before in the game either
Exactly, and we also have no idea how well the reds went down either. If the ref handed out cards and felt that had only made a bad atmosphere worse, I'd understand abandonment too.

More blasts on the whistle needed for me! Nowhere near enough Input from the referee here in that sense - long, sharp blows on a sonic blast would soon piss these players off enough that they’d want to get away, it would also draw their attention to the fact that he is watching closely.

I think he is more than justified however to abandon this game. This went on for a few minutes and had several spark points... continuing the match could have been a bad decision and could have made things worse.

They all seemed to keep calm though which is a good thing.

It does look on the video like there were opportunities to separate the players - but have to trust the ref. The attitude of the benches and fans is also mentioned and it seems like the overall hostile atmosphere is what pushed the ref to abandon - even though it doesn't like a "mass brawl" on the footage.

Much more involvement from the referee needed, in terms of whistling.......should be hitting the whistle long and hard.......but apart from that, not a lot else you can do. Certainly don't want to be getting in between players or trying to break things up physically.

I'm guessing the fact that it all seemed to quiet down, then exploded again was what led to the abandonment.....we've no idea what sparked the second go around, or what the reactions were to any disciplinary sanctions.

Reactions: DB
Back