A&H

Manchester derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

David F

VAR intervention felt soft there - in the context of the discussion about high thresholds for C&O, surprised that was given. Obviously there’s a good shout for a pen, but Rodri’s also making the most of it and it’s not obvious that Hojlund’s arm round his chest causes the fall. Thoughts?

The Referee Store
VAR intervention felt soft there - in the context of the discussion about high thresholds for C&O, surprised that was given. Obviously there’s a good shout for a pen, but Rodri’s also making the most of it and it’s not obvious that Hojlund’s arm round his chest causes the fall. Thoughts?
Now reverse the roles.
Would Tierney be sending Oliver to the screen?
Don't think so.

Oliver is a top ref who is clearly respected.
In that, I mean, you listen to him, don't overrule him.

I didn’t like the endless slo mo. Show it in real time FFS and there’s a much bigger question mark over whether the holding affected the player and if the player spun himself!

For me the attecker has conned the ref there. But I slso think it’s an easy foul to give elsewhere on the field.

Does it meet the high bar for penalties and the threshold for C&O? No idea. Certainly not “minimum intrrference maximum benefit “ though!

Agreed, the slow mo seemed to be proving that Hojlund’s arm was around the chest - fine, but falls into the category of “happens every set piece” if that’s the threshold. The key bit should’ve been just after that moment, where we see whether the hold has stopped Rodri’s momentum.

Think Amrabats caution was harsh. Foden I agree with.
Fodens reaction, despite giving the foul away, was stupid. He clearly said something that Amrabat didn't like and he confronted him. Didn't do much wrong if I'm honest.

I have zero sympathy for defending teams in these sorts of situations, regardless of how theatrically the attacker reacts to the contact. Players are too used to getting away with rugby style challenges going unpunished, it's refreshing to see it given. Defend properly, keep your hands to yourself and won't run the risk, not that difficult.

I would have been carding Maguire for his repeated approaches to the referee when he was going to the screen. No need for Fernandes to be entering the penalty area once the decision was given either. Good to see Onana carded for his delaying antics.

I really thought that in real time, it's a more obvious foul. They're neven sending that to the screen if Rodri wasn't going to be in the area where the ball came. Think it's a clear pen and for me it's C&O, but once again those standards are more fickle than the weather

Rightly or wrongly, I think they've taken into account that Rodri was probably getting to the ball. That does make it different to most holding in the penalty area, still a bit surprised Oliver got involved though.

From inside the stadium, never a pen. Having watched the replay, wouldn’t have complained if it was being given but cannot see a world where that is a “clear and obvious error”

Which as we saw in Wolves v Newcastle yesterday, clear and obvious is still very much in play

Harry Maguire literally wrestles Haaland to the ground. Absolutely nail on penalty.
Nothing happens 🤡🤡🤡

Can you even class it as a tackle at this point? Attempted murder 🤣🤣
Seriously though its a kick. Clear kick. I don't quite recall Robertson last year v spurs but sort of rings a bell (as a comparable decision)

Ah googled it and its not the same...but if that's a red so is this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back